Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:03 AM

Jacobi, I've none of the engine work you've done as it's completely stock. I did try the w earlier with the 40 pilot and 180 main, it started out nice but broke up big time in the middle... I'll give it ago again with the setup I've got now.

Thanks for the feedback..

Ed..

Old 08-29-2012, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Which needle were you using? Was it a rich break up? I know in the 300 I had to raise the clip to position #2 on the N3Ex needles to get it clean around 1/4 - 1/2 throtte. I used to run N3CJ#2 in that.

The N3CW is definitely not as smooth in the middle as the JD. It leans right out before it comes back into the fuel. The result is very much on/off transition from bottom to top. It'll run super smooth below this, and tear your arms out above it.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 AM

Jake,

If you have the chance, try a NOTCHED #7 slide. I'd be interested if your bike then likes slightly richer needle settings. On the new carb at least they say the notch is purely for idle sensitivity, seems more to it on my ASI though. Absolute specs are not important just relative change from slide to slide. Just curious if what we hear is true. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

I asked my local dealer if he had any spare slides laying around I could borrow last time I was in there but he didn't. I might have to ask a few of my mates on the other coloured bikes and see what they've ended up with. But in theory if 0.01mm change in needle diameter makes a noticable difference to the idle and off idle response, then I can only imagine the effect that the cutaway in the slide makes. I can't see it just being in effect purely at idle and much more likely to be for the entire duration of the slide circuit (like your findings showed).
Old 09-03-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Which needle were you using? Was it a rich break up? I know in the 300 I had to raise the clip to position #2 on the N3Ex needles to get it clean around 1/4 - 1/2 throtte. I used to run N3CJ#2 in that.

The N3CW is definitely not as smooth in the middle as the JD. It leans right out before it comes back into the fuel. The result is very much on/off transition from bottom to top. It'll run super smooth below this, and tear your arms out above it.
I put the N3EW back in at the 3rd clip, is better than the jd red, and pulls clean from bottom to top, it runs the best the bike has run since I got it. When I tried it before with the 40 pilot and 180 main it broke up huge in the middle, now with the 42 pilot and 178 main it flat out rips. The plug is a nice light tan, I think I'm going to give the jetting a rest for now, as this is what I was looking for.. Thanks for all the info you all have posted, makes sorting the GasGas much easier...
My current setup is as follows, 42 p, N3EW #3, 178 main, as 1.5.

Ed...
Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Cheers Ed!

Every time I tinker around this is the same needle/config I keep coming back to as well. The only thing I can think of that would make it a bit better is just a touch more fuel around 3/4 throttle just before it comes into the main.

I just received another N3CW, 2 x N3CJ, 2 x N3EW and an N3CH which I am considering sending out to be machined down to give a rich 3rd and final taper much like the NEDx and N1Ex needles without sacrificing the clean and crisp bottom to mid transition. I'm honestly in no rush to do it though.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:16 PM

Well do to busy work scheule I have been slow on being able to ride/play with bike and jetting.
So this is where I am at:
NEDJ, top notch, 38 Pilot, 172 Main, 3 turns AS.
Runs good from about 1/4 throttle on. But at idle it seems to be running rich. After a few seconds of idle it begins to smoke abit more. It is alittle boggy out of bottom but once cleared out runs good. But after a few seconds of idle it seems to "load up" a bit. It will die after running a minute or so at idle.
I really wouldn't think I would need to go down more with pilot. Bike runs good and strong except very bottom.
What next? Should I play with notch position. I have a N3CJ but really didn't want too much peepiness, but may try anyways to see what happens.
In a couple months I do plan on getting squish checked, which will help.
Thanks Guys,
Eddie
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

38mm or 36mm carb, series one or two? Temp, RH, elevation?Thats a pretty lean setup. I wouldn't be surprised if your bike is running a decent amount of squish gap. Setting that will make things much easier to do. My bike will stall out if I leave it idling for a minute too. You need the excess fuel to make good torque. Engine load lugging up a hill just off idle vs sitting on the stand are vastly different, and your jetting is a compromise. I know which scenario is best to head towards.

Addressing your question under 1/4 throttle will be pilot or needle diameter. I've yet to hear of anyone needing a K diameter needle on here.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:54 AM

I just started running an DEP silencer on my 11 ec250. It about half the weight of the stock unit and seems to make a huge difference in the snappiness and big improvement when lugging. Should I richen up my jetting for the change in exhaust? The reason I ask is that it seemed to have some detonation when chopping the throttle yesterday at the scramble.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure as I have never changed from stock pipe, but if your bike is exhibiting lean symptoms, then I think you answered your own question.