Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreyghost View Post
All squeal is gone. I even tried to get the clutch to squeal but it was as quiet as a church mouse. To sum it all up I replaced the OEM inner and outer clutch basket with a barnett Billet outer and a rekluse manual Billet inner. Aimsoil 10w-40 oil
There must be a cheaper fix, since getting more oil to the plates is the objective.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:15 AM

I just went from 5W40 Rotella syn to 15W40 Delvac diesel dino and it took away 90% of the problem. It did want to creep (OK it took off like the clutch was out) when cold, but did fine warm and would still start in gear. The Mobil Delvac for diesel has no "Resource Conserving" rating (what used to be "Energy Conserving") so it should be OK for wet clutches and its cheap and at Wally World.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:01 PM

Since I have had not one issue with my 01. I don't think I would like a squeal and be told...that's how they are...GasGas is tough to sell used anyway plus I could hear all the guys at the club laughing about it. I have not picked up my new bike yet but I will shortly.

I don't want to be dooms dayish but if mine does that...not sure what I would do. Brand new bike, and I would be looking at a new basket or accept rest stop ridicule on my new ride sounding like a geico commercial. With all the KTM riders I ride with ... would be brutal. Told ya just to get an Orange bike.

I am sure there are some that will chime in saying better not buy it and attempt to humiliate me for wanting the impossible because some KTM's do it. That being said I have not heard one of them do it, and I ride with a BUNCH of KTM guys...that is why it is so important for my GasGas to shine. My 01 gets the "its not Orange but not bad" because it just does everything right and for a 10 year old bike...still pretty dang good. To me it would be like having a woman with a stupid hot body with a hairy mole on her cheek...yeah it will perform where you need it if you just overlook this "thing"...just really detracts from the overall package.

So there is my opinion on a soon to be owner.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I totally understand what you're saying. Seems to me like there is an acceptance of issues that may not be a big deal but no other bike has that issue so why GG?

My bike is exactly 6 weeks old and I've ridden it three times. My pipe is rusting badly and I was told that it was because I hauled it exposed to road salt on a trailer. It is true that I hauled it on a trailer on a snowy day and there was no doubt road salt sprayed on my bike but I've been riding for 40 years and never had this happen. I have a 6 year old Honda that has a perfect pipe on it and it's been hauled the same way many times.

I still think that my GG is awesome but I'm dismayed at the attitude I think I'm getting about some issues like "the seat is uncomfortable" the response is "Stand up"..... Think about that. My pipe is rusting after 6 weeks...... "don't trailer it in snow".

I'm a supporter but it's getting thin. All I want is someone to say "I get it, we'll work on it"
Old 01-31-2011, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you're not up for the idiosyncrasies of a Euro bike.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:54 PM

Rusted pipe after 6 weeks is an "idiosyncrasy"?

Squeeling clutch that makes everyone ask what's wrong with my new bike is an "idiosyncrasy"?

I'm willing to accept an ugly pipe and a noisy clutch on my brand new bike but many people will not. I love my bike and hope it will beat KTM but it will NOT if people keep saying "that's the way it is"

Whatever .....what started this for me was that smug KTM owners will rejoice at these "idiosyncrasies"

Is that OK with you?

P.S. KTM's are Euro and don't have these "idiosyncrasies"
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

I'm just saying every bike has it's quirks.

KTM brakes have squeeled forever.Yamahas would break the flywheel key ways, etc. Rust on a pipe can be prevented with some basic maintenance.

Bike ownership should be an experience, you get to make it your own. No bike made fits it owners 100% right off the show room floor.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 PM

You said:

Quote:
Sounds like you're not up for the idiosyncrasies of a Euro bike
What that sounds like is that in order to ride a Euro bike you need to lower your standards and accept less.

Why would I do that?

I get it that no bike is perfect for everyone. I really do but who likes a rusted pipe?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:45 PM

My XC250 clutch squawked when the bike was pulling my water-logged butt through miles of hub-deep mud ... and I was OK with that. It sounded just a little like a KTM rear brake

I never lost a drop of coolant, and the clutch never lost feel or hook-up. When the trail opened up a little and the clutch cooled it was back to whisper quiet .... but those darned KTMs kept squawking.

About your pipe - pick up some ScotchBrite. I'm not sure what kind of crap is on the road these days, but I completely pooched a YZ rotor with one trip home from a winter supercross. I washed the bike, but come spring it looked like the surface of the moon.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I am taking a break from riding for a month or so and I have decided to pull the clutch apart to see if I had the up-dated basket...which I do.
While apart, I did some drilling to see if I can increase oil flow...I didn't plan to post anything until I could get a couple of rides in to see how it performs.
I'll post the results after I get a chance to ride the bike...still waiting on a clutch cover gasket.

Here's what I did,
On the pressure plate I enlarged the oil feed holes by about 2mm
The inner hub I added a row of three holes per channel between the stock hole arrangement which had a spread of 5 or so...I just spread the pattern out equally.
On the basket I drilled a 2mm angled hole on each finger (mid-point)...angled the same direction as the holes in the pressure plate to aid in scooping up additional oil.
I have no idea if it will work or be a total failure... but that's me, I'm not afraid to experiment....it's part of the fun!
Closed Thread