Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:27 PM

"A friend of mine buys a new Beta and has it all set up. Even buys the good Marzocci forks. Rides it one time and calls me up and will give me a sweet deal on it."

Celler - what did your impulsive friend ever do with this Beta? I have some of my friends do dumb things, but I've never been as lucky to have this kind of opportunity fall into my lap. I'd love to have those 48mm Zokes on my 300RR!

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper

Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 PM

I'm not sure what he did. He said he was going to trade it in on a Husaberg and sell the Zokes. I'll PM you if the Zokes are available.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

I have two parts to this post:

#1. Glenn, please hang around, no matter what you ride. You and Girard are two of the oldest contributors to this forum from the "old days", when it was "Talking Smack", and are the main people whose input I depend on when I have a technical question.

#2. Over the years since I got involved with Gas Gas in 1997, I've seen the factory shoot itself, and it's US infrastructure, in the foot many times.
In '99, as the Japanese factories removed their off-road racing support and abandoned 2-stroke off-road racing, Gas Gas was in the perfect position to dominate the US off-road market. They bungled this by what directions that they took.
KTM, however, was willing to do "whatever it took" to give the US riders what they demanded. They had great success, and built upon that success to have the current world market share they have today.

This brings us up to the present. I am no longer affiliated with Gas Gas in any way other than as an enthusiast and a rider. I bought my bike from a franchised Gas Gas dealer, just as you all did.

Last week, I was visiting with Jim Snell (trialspartsusa.com & Rising Sun Imports) on the phone. Jim spends two weeks each year in Spain, and now does all the English translation for Gas Gas, in addition to distributing all the GG trials parts in the US. Jim told me that the new GasGas owners are going to keep the factory open and producing during what has always been the "August vacation" at the factory ever since they have been in business. This should help with the parts and bike availability coming in on a timely basis.
Jim was very enthused and hopeful for the future of Gas Gas with the new management. Now, so am I.

I still love the bikes. That's what got me started with them in 1997. However, when I recently bought a new Gasser, I bought a 2011 instead of a 2013, because I was dubious of the plastic subframe. Now, they are again using aluminum subframes for 2014.
Looking at the new bikes on the GasGasmotos.es web site, and reading the specs (lighter weight, etc), I think they are going to turn heads, and get a lot of riders looking our way.

With Clay doing his very professional job in the US, and the new management style at the headquarters in Spain, I think things are really moving in the right direction. It ought to be a very good year, and a cornerstone in the continued future of Gas Gas Off-Road.

Good Riding!
Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/

Last edited by Jim Cook; 07-25-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling police :-)
Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
I have two parts to this post:

#1. Glenn, please hang around, no matter what you ride. You and Girard are two of the oldest contributors to this forum from the "old days", when it was "Talking Smack", and are the main people whose input I depend on when I have a technical question.

#2. Over the years since I got involved with Gas Gas in 1997, I've seen the factory shoot itself, and it's US infrastructure, in the foot many times.
In '99, as the Japanese factories removed their off-road racing support and abandoned 2-stroke off-road racing, Gas Gas was in the perfect position to dominate the US off-road market. The bungled this by what directions that they took.
KTM, however, was willing to do "whatever it took" to give the US riders what they demanded. They had great success, and built upon that success to have the current world market share they have today.

This brings us up to the present. I am no longer affiliated with Gas Gas in any way other than as an enthusiast and a rider. I bought my bike from a franchised Gas Gas dealer, just as you all did.

Last week, I was visiting with Jim Snell (trialspartsusa.com & Rising Sun Imports) on the phone. Jim spends two weeks each year in Spain, and now does all the English translation for Gas Gas, in addition to distributing all the GG trials parts in the US. Jim told me that the new GasGas owners are going to keep the factory open and producing during what has always been the "August vacation" at the factory ever since they have been in business. This should help with the parts and bike availability coming in on a timely basis.
Jim was very enthused and hopeful for the future of Gas Gas with the new management. Now, so am I.

I still love the bikes. That's what got me started with them in 1997. However, when I recently bought a new Gasser, I bought a 2011 instead of a 2013, because I was dubious of the plastic subframe. Now, they are again using aluminum subframes for 2014.
Looking at the new bikes on the GasGasmotos.es web site, and reading the specs (lighter weight, etc), I think they are going to turn heads, and get a lot of riders looking our way.

With Clay doing his very professional job in the US, and the new management style at the headquarters in Spain, I think things are really moving in the right direction. It ought to be a very good year, and a cornerstone in the continued future of Gas Gas Off-Road.

Good Riding!
Jim
That does sound positive, hopefully the 'shot in the foot' this time was just a flesh wound. I thought they were doing well until the 'air filter debacle' back stepped all the progress Clay had made in his first year. Then the sub frame came along.... now the new owners... at least I've heard that they are enthusiasts and not just 'money guys'
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 07-25-2013, 03:23 PM

Thumbs up

Very well put Jim. I've been a forum member since spring of '06 when I bought a new '05 fse450 holdover. And now I'm a 2t guy. Thanks to all who have helped me thru the years. I sure don't want to see Glen go either.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 07-29-2013, 05:00 PM

GasGas presentation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNnkh...ature=youtu.be
Brasil!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 PM

Castillian Spanish sthounds sthilly.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

^ Only you would notice that.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 PM

It's my heritage -- on my mother's side.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
Castillian Spanish sthounds sthilly.
Creo que si, pero me gustan las motos. Does anyone know if Clay renewed his distribution agreement with GasGas?

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar