Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:08 PM

Really tough now. New GG300, KTM or Beta? My 07 GG has been an awesome bike, KTM has treated me well and the Beta looks really nice too.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I dont mind the logos when they don't stand out like dogs balls. The purple shock doesn't really match, but I bet it works a treat.
I was reviewing this thread, I agree completely...LMAO!

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 08-17-2013, 05:28 PM

These improvements should've been in the 2012 model (which wasted time with airbox and composite subframe).

Something on the order of 18-months of design diversion.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 PM

Scotty R likely put it best - the 12s should have been the Finnish Six Days bikes (B frame with new linkage and 48 Zokes) and the 13s should have been what the 14s look to be.

Looking forward to the 14s - the weight reduction is very welcome and it looks like the factory has finally started to pay attention to the little details that drive people crazy (kickstand attachment, one-tool linkage bolts etc). The Reiger shock should be the bomb, but it would be even better if it wasn't the color of a kids-cartoon dinosaur.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 08-17-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The Reiger shock should be the bomb, but it would be even better if it wasn't the color of a kids-cartoon dinosaur.

Oh, it reminds me of trick parts in the 80's.

Nothing a little bit of oven cleaner and some paint can't fix.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have now had the opportunity to try out a selection of steeds from the 2014 range.
Bikes were:
  • 125 cc 2-stroke Nordic Racing
  • 250 cc 2-stroke Nordic Racing
  • 250 cc 4-stroke Nordic Racing
  • 300 2-stroke Racing
  • 300 4-stroke Racing
The Racing had the Reiger/Marzocchi combo
Nordic racing has Ohlins RXF forks with TTX22 inserts and the new Ohlins STX rear shock.

Unfortunately I did not have the possibility to spend very much time on each bike, there was some considerable demand for test rides..

The track:
The test track was set up within the forest with a slick single track wet hardpack clay, with the occasional rock and root stuck in it. Lots of ruts and crossing ditches. This changed to a wider gravel track with some smaller whoops, and finished with a berm fest on the parking lot, with a few straights and 180 turns and a 100 m straight back to the pitstop.

Overall impressions:
Looks is awesome, though the debate was intense on the Reiger coloring scheme Production finish look really good, nothing seems to be overlooked. Ergos was a bit awkward, the new handlebar felt narrow with alot more pullback than I am used to, but once I started rolling I did not notice it.

The rides
First out was the 250 cc 2-stroke. First lap I just sat up an took off, did not check the ignition curve switch. Very snappy feel, and with a bit less bottom end power compared to my own 300. I got to the first corner - wow, these bikes are light and nimble. Gasgas has really gotten their act together now. Light and flickable and corners like the Gasgas we know, and still stable at higher speed. Coming out of the forest and into open terrain the 250 shines, the power delivery puts a smile on my face. Back in the corral I checked the ignition curve switch -rain mode. I could not belive it. Power was so snappy still. Anyway took it out for another lap, this time in the sunshine setting. Now, this bike really rips. In the forest this bike is really a handful, and would require a very skilled pilot to fully utilize its potential in single track conditions. Still in rain setting it has enough bottom end to safely lug it down low and cruise among the trees.

The 250cc 4-stroke was the next bike, and to be honest, I did not expect much from this. A big fat clumsy 4-stroke.. And was I mistaken. Of course this is a heavier bike, but it still handles really well in corners. The engine was perhaps the biggest surprise. Very soft and easy controlled when lugging it low, but when the throttle was wide open, this one revved and revved, and quickly it did it. I did get some backend kicks to the side when the terrain was extra slippery, with deep puddles of water and such, maybe engine braking or perhaps I just let my foot down on the brake pedal. Suspension wise, this one also hade the Ohlins stuff, carrying the bike excellent over any terrain. (that was included in the test loop)

Now the 125 cc was just so funny to ride. When kept on the howling side of the rpm range this bike is a blast. Bottom end? Look elsewhere, this one is built to sing. Chassis is the same basically as the other big bikes, nothing in particular to add there. Did I mention Fun?

Finally I got to swing the leg over a Reiger/Mz combo, this on the 300 cc 2-stroke. The same awkward feel in the ergos department, but nothing I noticed while riding it. Now, power delivery, something has really changed since 2012. This engine must be electric. You get what you twist, all through the rev range. Not much difference when changing the ignition curve, still the same raw bottom end power, but kind of harnessed. Now the suspension felt really good in these conditions. Of course there was nothing exterme to any end, but the fork soaked up rocks seemingly just as good as the Ohlins setup. I did not notice anything at all from the rear end. That must be a good thing. This is a real point-and-go setup. I overheard that there had been some issues earlier with the balance front and rear with the front end beeing a bit soft. I do not know however how this was
corrected, but the bike I rode was excellent. 300 2-stroke is my woods weapon of choice.

Onto the 300 cc 4-stroke. This had a softer suspension setup and it was not at all able to carry my weight at the higher speeds, but that is all in the personalization of the bike anyway. Power is good througout the rev range, no surprises at all. Maybe it felt a little sluggish, not snappy like the 250 4-stroke. However I do not doubt for a second that this can be a fast ride in the hands of someone used to riding 4-strokes. Maybe the conditions were not in favor of this machine, perhaps som loose sand and deep ruts with mud would have shown the bright side of it. Overall the same excellent finish and detailing like the rest of the pack.

Conclusion:
This whole review sounds like a shameless sales pitch. I know. I have been riding Gassers for seven years now and I honestly cannot find anything bad with these new bikes. Of course this is only written from a riding perspective, how these bikes will turn out in the long run, I cannot say. I have had my fair share of problems with my 2012, but now, once sorted it is as good a bike as these. (or so I tell myself.)

Will try to snatch a few pictures of the event from the local dealer tomorrow.

Last edited by bergerhag; 08-22-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Scotty R likely put it best - the 12s should have been the Finnish Six Days bikes (B frame with new linkage and 48 Zokes) and the 13s should have been what the 14s look to be.
I said the same thing back in 2012 and got blasted for it! Except I didn't say it about the six days bikes.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerhag View Post
I have now had the opportunity to try out a selection of steeds from the 2014 range.
Bikes were:
  • 300 2-stroke Racing
  • 300 4-stroke Racing
Nordic racing has Ohlins RXF forks with TTX22 inserts and the new Ohlins STX rear shock.

Unfortunately I did not have the possibility to spend very much time on each bike, there was some considerable demand for test rides..

The track:
The test track was set up within the forest with a slick single track wet hardpack clay, with the occational rock and root stuck in it. Lots of ruts and crossing ditches. This changed to a wider gravel track with some smaller whoops, and finished with a berm fest on the parking lot, with a few straights and 180 turns and a 100 m straight back to the pitstop.

Overall impressions:
Looks is awesome, though the debate was intense on the Reiger coloring scheme Production finish look really good, nothing seems to be overlooked. Ergos was a bit awkward, the new handlebar felt narrow with alot more pullback than I am used to, but once I started rolling I did not notice it.

The rides
First out was the 250 cc 2-stroke. First lap I just sat up an took off, did not check the ignition curve switch. Very snappy feel, and with a bit less bottom end power compared to my own 300. I got to the first corner - wow, these bikes are light and nimble. Gasgas has really gotten their act together now. Light and flickable and corners like the Gasgas we know, and still stable at higher speed. Coming out of the forest and into open terrain the 250 shines, the power delivery puts a smile on my face. Back in the corral I checked the ignition curve switch -rain mode. I could not belive it. Power was so snappy still. Anyway took it out for another lap, this time in the sunshine setting. Now, this bike really rips. In the forest this bike is really a handful, and would require a very skilled pilot to fully utilize its potential in single track conditions. Still in rain setting it has enough bottom end to safely lug it down low and cruise among the trees.

The 250cc 4-stroke was the next bike, and to be honest, I did not expect much from this. A big fat clumsy 4-stroke.. And was I mistaken. Of course this is a heavier bike, but it still handles really well in corners. The engine was perhaps the biggest surprise. Very soft and easy controlled when lugging it low, but when the throttle was wide open, this one revved and revved, and quickly it did it. I did get some backend kicks to the side when the terrain was extra slippery, with deep puddles of water and such, maybe engine braking or perhaps I just let my foot down on the brake pedal. Suspension wise, this one also hade the Ohlins stuff, carrying the bike excellent over any terrain. (that was included in the test loop)

Now the 125 cc was just so funny to ride. When kept on the howling side of the rpm range this bike is a blast. Bottom end? Look elsewhere, this one is built to sing. Chassis is the same basically as the other big bikes, nothing in particular to add there. Did I mention Fun?

Finally I got to swing the leg over a Reiger/Mz combo, this on the 300 cc 2-stroke. The same awkward feel in the ergos department, but nothing I noticed while riding it. Now, power delivery, something has really changed since 2012. This engine must be electric. You get what you twist, all through the rev range. Not much difference when changing the ignition curve, still the same raw bottom end power, but kind of harnessed. Now the suspension felt really good in these conditions. Of course there was nothing exterme to any end, but the fork soaked up rocks seemingly just as good as the Ohlins setup. I did not notice anything at all from the rear end. That must be a good thing. This is a real point-and-go setup. I overheard that there had been some issues earlier with the balance front and rear with the front end beeing a bit soft. I do not know however how this was
corrected, but the bike I rode was excellent. 300 2-stroke is my woods weapon of choice.

Onto the 300 cc 4-stroke. This had a softer suspension setup and it was not at all able to carry my weight at the higher speeds, but that is all in the personalization of the bike anyway. Power is good througout the rev range, no surprises at all. Maybe it felt a little sluggish, not snappy like the 250 4-stroke. However I do not doubt for a second that this can be a fast ride in the hands of someone used to riding 4-strokes. Maybe the conditions were not in favor of this machine, perhaps som loose sand and deep ruts with mud would have shown the bright side of it. Overall the same excellent finish and detailing like the rest of the pack.

Conclusion:
This whole review sounds like a shameless sales pitch. I know. I have been riding Gassers for seven years now and I honestly cannot find anything bad with these new bikes. Of course this is only written from a riding perspective, how these bikes will turn out in the long run, I cannot say. I have had my fair share of problems with my 2012, but now, once sorted it is as good a bike as these. (or so I tell myself.)

Nice write up, makes me want to sell my 12' or give it to my wife so I can get a 14'. Now all I need is an excuse.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
Nice write up, makes me want to sell my 12' or give it to my wife so I can get a 14'. Now all I need is an excuse.
+1 , anyone wants an 11' 300R ?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerhag View Post
Bikes were:
  • 300 2-stroke Racing
  • 300 4-stroke Racing

The track:
The test track was set up within the forest with a slick single track wet hardpack clay, with the occational rock and root stuck in it. Lots of ruts and crossing ditches. This changed to a wider gravel track with some smaller whoops, and finished with a berm fest on the parking lot, with a few straights and 180 turns and a 100 m straight back to the pitstop.

Overall impressions:

The rides

Conclusion:

Do you note decrease vibrations, specially with 300 2stroke?

Sent from Razr MAXX