Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 AM

I run the Clarke tank on my 08. I took it off of the 04 when I sold it. It took a little mod, but works great. I don't have a problem with the bikes coming with the small tanks. They are much easier to move around on with the small tank, but I ride in Colorado pretty often and also race a few hare scrambles so the big tank is necessary for me. Like cutting bars down to ride/race in the tight Eastern woods, I don't mind having to do a little extra work to make my bike perform in special conditions. Making bikes that are custom fit for all of our needs would put Gas Gas back into the confusing model syndrome.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Guy I know put a bigger tank on his '11. Don't know what size it is but it has the big nutcracker in front of the seat and wings under the shrouds that push them out farther. If that's what it takes to add fuel then I don't want it. I figured it's possible to get a couple extra 10ths by doing a better job filling the available space underneath.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Hi Clay,
Your comments and conclusions about Les at LT-Racing being a "regional suspension tuner" are way off.

75% of Les' work is from all different parts of the country where only 25% of his work is from local riders. He sets up for whatever terrain variety the rider specifies, along with their experience/skill and preferences.

Also, I think the terrain here in the Northwest is more varied than you think - in western washington and oregon we have rain forest and eastern type conditions - some areas a hard snotty clay, some areas are glacial rock with sand. Roots, rocks, sand whoops.

As you go to the east we have mountain goat trails on alpine ridgetops. As you progress to the east it smooths out and transitions into open pine forests - then into high altitude desert with sagebrush and rock with sand and miles and miles of whoops. This variety of terrain is all within a 150 mile radius of either Seattle or Portland.

Outside of this area - Les has also ridden baja mexico several times with friends from American Honda... And he has set up suspension for baja as well...

Jeff
Jeff,
Thanks for putting me straight on Les' experience. I was recently talking to a guy from northern Alabama who had his suspension revalved by a guy in central Florida. He said it was deflecting off of roots and rocks. I pointed out to him that he prolly should have used someone from a rooty/rocky area rather than a sand whoop area. The point I was trying to make is how often I hear things like this and there are not that many suspension tuners who have a view of everything a suspension manufacturer has to consider. Trying to hit a mid point for customers in a country as varied as the US is hard to do. Maybe using Les was a bad example.
Thanks,
Clay
Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobt250 View Post
I figured it's possible to get a couple extra 10ths by doing a better job filling the available space underneath.
I also think so, someone just needs to try it
Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Tiny oil fill hole.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
I can't help myself here.
We were asked what we would change if we could. If I could change anything, I would make captive fasteners of some type on the back side of the subframe.
Roostafish,
On this thread, we were discussing changes at the model level not down to the nuts and bolts. On another thread we were discussing the small detail changes. I know they're all starting to run together for me, too. Anyway....I agree with you and the fastener thing are on my list.
Thanks for the input.
Clay
Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
I can't resist saying that captive fasteners suck when they strip out. That being said they are probably better over all. I haven't spent much time working on mine yet but I have every size wrench in the tool box....I'll get-er-dunn.

Clay,

I know I don't really need to say this but I will anyway. I see a lot of passion in these posts. People who are passionate about riding and about their bikes. I think the people here love their bikes....I do. I wouldn't want the guys in Spain to think otherwise. What I see is people talking about something they love and making it perfect even though it's already close. Your ear brings that out here because you are willing to spend the time to listen.

Thanks

Bob...EXCELLENT POINT! Thanks!
clay
Old 12-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
just a flash though on the tank issue. if the rest of the world doesnt really want a bigger tank, then why not just buy a bigger aftermarket one if you want it. its cheaper for the company, and if it would add a 300$ price bump onto the bike stock, why not put that 300 towards the aftermarket and let the bikes price stay down.
and i have to agree with bob, id rather use two wrenches than strip out a captive fastener.
Dank,
A bigger tank wouldn't add that much. Actually, if we order 1000 units next year it would only add about $1 to the cost of the bikes. I prolly worded that example wrong.
Clay
Old 12-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Guy I know put a bigger tank on his '11. Don't know what size it is but it has the big nutcracker in front of the seat and wings under the shrouds that push them out farther. If that's what it takes to add fuel then I don't want it. I figured it's possible to get a couple extra 10ths by doing a better job filling the available space underneath.
I agree. I truly would rather continue to pit and pack fuel on long rides than sacrifice performance and have a bulky width at the tank. That's exactly why I never bought one of the aftermarket tanks available. I would be happy with a liter more that would get my range up and probably not add to much girth or hight to the tank.

One of the issues with the perimeter frame is there is only so much room down low. After that it has to be added up and out top of the frame making it taller and wider. look at the ec 250F the tank is taller cause that 4 stroke motor is taller in the chassis along with a hot header pipe needing space for safety.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:25 PM

I'm with Bobt and Roscoe on this one.