Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:18 AM

ugh..I've seen these pics before but now I'm REALLY wanting this setup...

as for the question about why a 150 instead of a 200? I went 125 bc I wanted to have fun. I came off of an 08 KTM 200XC/SX hybrid that was a complete blast (the KTM 200SX engine is the SWEETEST running 200cc 2 stroke ever made), but after riding a Husky and KTM 150 along with a YZ125/144 and 152 (talk about sweeet, that 152 was) and along with my family's shop picking up Gas Gas I decided to go with the 125 GG because of the fun factor. The 125 is awesome thru the tight stuff and has enough oomph to get my 190lb carcass up the hills. You can't be lazy and you have to be willing to scream the little bike but I find myself being less tired at the end of a 70 mile day. I am hoping to race mine this weekend (fingers crossed that the suspension gets here) and I know I will be just as competitive (top 25-30 in the local off road series - that is as long as my wrists hold out) as I was on the 200. I'd love to get my hands on a 125 cylinder and let some of my guys look at a possible overbore/stroker setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkyboy View Post
About $3,000 for motor work, which includes a custom pipe, custom flywheel, new carburator, remapped ignition, 144cc aftermarket Yamaha piston and re-pinned crank with stock length connection rod etc...... gets you one today.

Plus a 3 to 4 hundred dollars each way for airfreight as key motor work is done in Spain by a private developer.

Hasslebri, who participates in this forum, has one up here in Minnesota and just loves it. Great motor in a great handleing chassis.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezuk View Post
ugh..I've seen these pics before but now I'm REALLY wanting this setup...

as for the question about why a 150 instead of a 200? I went 125 bc I wanted to have fun. I came off of an 08 KTM 200XC/SX hybrid that was a complete blast (the KTM 200SX engine is the SWEETEST running 200cc 2 stroke ever made), but after riding a Husky and KTM 150 along with a YZ125/144 and 152 (talk about sweeet, that 152 was) and along with my family's shop picking up Gas Gas I decided to go with the 125 GG because of the fun factor. The 125 is awesome thru the tight stuff and has enough oomph to get my 190lb carcass up the hills. You can't be lazy and you have to be willing to scream the little bike but I find myself being less tired at the end of a 70 mile day. I am hoping to race mine this weekend (fingers crossed that the suspension gets here) and I know I will be just as competitive (top 25-30 in the local off road series - that is as long as my wrists hold out) as I was on the 200. I'd love to get my hands on a 125 cylinder and let some of my guys look at a possible overbore/stroker setup.
I have a brand new one sitting on the shelf if you are interested. Feel free to call ron at dirt world cycles 518 663-5000
Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 PM

FYI, my bike was built by a very special guy in Spain. His name is Boni and he was one of he guys responsible for the development of pretty much all of Gas Gas's two strokes engines. He took my engine and bored the cylinder out to a 144. Used a KTM connecting rod (specially modified), a different crank (specially modified), and a YZ 144 piston (specially modified). The engine was literally built from the ground up by hand! Even the pipes were hand made by Boni complete with an extra long header section. When I bolted that huge flywheel on I felt bad for the little engine. It is hard to describe how the bike runs. Most people would expect it to rip your arms off and rev hard but it doesn't. It does exactly the opposite (1000 RPM short of a 125 at peak). It took me some time to figure out how to ride it correctly and to truly appreciate it. This bike is almost electric in its delivery. It comes on strong off the bottom but builds power very smoothy almost without any burst. If you try to fan the clutch to make it go faster it just makes more noise. It can be ridden in about 3 different gears in almost any situation and it will just keep chugging, lugging, and going no matter how poorly the rider is riding. This bike runs like a mini 300 (minus the weight and FW effect). The more I stood up and rode it like a trials bike the faster I went. You can literally ride this bike standing up for entire sections of trail. The power/ chassis never seem to force you to sit entering or exiting corners. I have heard the argument why not just modify a 200. The problem with the 200 (as kick ass as the 200 is) is there is 10-15 lbs. you can't loose no matter what you do.

If you guys ever see me on the trails and want to take a spin, just ask.

Brian
Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 PM

THat thing looks clapped out Brian, I'll take it off your hands.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default 150

Doesnt eric gorr offer a kit
?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 PM

I hear you on the 150. I have an 08 Husky CR125 and just got my 144 set up bolted on today. I did a few heat/run cycles up to half throttle today and it's a blast. The bike is very light and I think after the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear 1/2 throttle wheelies it's gonna be quick. I can already tell the bottom-mid is sweet. I sure see a market for a 150 bike; if it's 125 lite.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM

I've been interested in a 144 GG for awhile now, I even aquired a complete top end for a future potential project. The problem with big bores, NOT FACTORY DESIGNED KITS, is the exhaust bridge and to some extent the porting. I've talked to a number of people, and the conclusion was its a crap shoot for reliability. Hoess had issues with GG144s. I suspect that hasslbri's 150 has extensive work in this area, much more than an EG bore and epoxy port job. If an engine builder would emerge here with a solid, proven solution (rewelding/reporting/replating) I'd be all over it.

I think GasGas could make a hell of a platform for a 125/150/200 in the current 125 size frame by rethinking the engine design, like KTM did in the late '90s with the 125/200. No 200 class in Europe? No problem, set them up as 125s.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM

forgot to say on my original post that i live in the UK and although there is not a 150/200 class as such many events entered are on ability.If gasgas managed to put a 200 in the 125 chassis i'd be off to the dealer.I did get to ride a gg125 and i certainly noticed it felt lighter than my 200 thats what made me think about the 150. I didn't buy the ktm i have always got on better with how the gasgas handles.Does the person in spain do engine work for anyone?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 AM

so while i'm dreaming about a bored 125, i kinda see it's not just a matter of boring a 125 to 144 or 152?
i get the point where you give in on some reliability when it comes to boring a cilinder, thinner sleeves and more of the thin stuff but is the std crank not made to last with a bigger cilinder?

double reed spacer, sounds logic to increase bottom end volume, but i wonder what that silver round thing between the clutch cover and exhaust is (2nd pic), could it be to accept a wider main bearing, or for the modified crank?
i've seen similar things being done to a husaberg 550 FS (they were prone to failure,went from 16mm to 20mm wide bearings).

just keen on learning about these things

ciao, Hannes.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslbri View Post
FYI, my bike was built by a very special guy in Spain. His name is Boni and he was one of he guys responsible for the development of pretty much all of Gas Gas's two strokes engines. He took my engine and bored the cylinder out to a 144. Used a KTM connecting rod (specially modified), a different crank (specially modified), and a YZ 144 piston (specially modified). The engine was literally built from the ground up by hand! Even the pipes were hand made by Boni complete with an extra long header section. When I bolted that huge flywheel on I felt bad for the little engine. It is hard to describe how the bike runs. Most people would expect it to rip your arms off and rev hard but it doesn't. It does exactly the opposite (1000 RPM short of a 125 at peak). It took me some time to figure out how to ride it correctly and to truly appreciate it. This bike is almost electric in its delivery. It comes on strong off the bottom but builds power very smoothy almost without any burst. If you try to fan the clutch to make it go faster it just makes more noise. It can be ridden in about 3 different gears in almost any situation and it will just keep chugging, lugging, and going no matter how poorly the rider is riding. This bike runs like a mini 300 (minus the weight and FW effect). The more I stood up and rode it like a trials bike the faster I went. You can literally ride this bike standing up for entire sections of trail. The power/ chassis never seem to force you to sit entering or exiting corners. I have heard the argument why not just modify a 200. The problem with the 200 (as kick ass as the 200 is) is there is 10-15 lbs. you can't loose no matter what you do.

If you guys ever see me on the trails and want to take a spin, just ask.

Brian
Same like mine but my was Build by the German Gasgas Team Engine Tuner
Est Cost was 2500 to 3000 euros but the Motor is every Euro worth it