Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:59 PM

While we are talking about jetting and taming this beast. I have A LOT of Spooge!

Like it runs out of freshly packed silencer and comes out of the hockey stick and is literally dripping onto the swing arm!

I mix at 50:1

Old 10-08-2015, 03:02 AM

I heard the KDX 200 is a bit of an untameable beast also.
Just what I heard.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:54 AM

You should be in the attack position. Not a relaxed, laid back seating position. Head at or over the bars, knees and elbows bent, leaning forward.

I am very surprised you have this experience. I have ridden a 200 and thought it was like riding a mini bike compared to my 300. The 200 are especially known for being easy to ride. You may want to consider a 4 stroke.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
You should be in the attack position. Not a relaxed, laid back seating position. Head at or over the bars, knees and elbows bent, leaning forward.

I am very surprised you have this experience. I have ridden a 200 and thought it was like riding a mini bike compared to my 300. The 200 are especially known for being easy to ride. You may want to consider a 4 stroke.
RE: attack position, i would add (as my instructor said) "balls over the gas cap" if you are sitting down
Old 10-08-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasxc View Post
I heard the KDX 200 is a bit of an untameable beast also.
Just what I heard.
Right up there with a CR500 or KX500
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 10-08-2015, 10:39 AM

Let's look at the big picture. 1st a 200 gasser should not run in the way you describe so something is definitely wrong. My understanding of what you said is that the motor runs very poorly and weak at lower throttle settings then clears up very quickly to run strong. If that is the case you have a jetting problem (or something that affects your jetting). Gearing and flywheel weights can help modify a bike to your personal needs but it would be best if you get your jetting needs settled first. Start by looking at your oil. Does it have a flash point over 300 degrees Fahrenheit? If it does your slow riding may be loading the cylinder and pipe up with unburned oil causing the motor to load up until it revs fast enough to blow itself out. Keep your oil ratio the same but switch to an oil that has a flash point near or below 200F. You may want to find a big open field or dirt road where you can run the bike at high throttle for an extended time to blow the excess oil out of the pipe and silencer. Next I suggest you drop in the appropriate Suzuki needle (Jacobi is the guru on jetting). The Suzuki needles run the cleanest and strongest right off idle and are very manageable in power delivery. Once you get your jetting straight then you can fine tune your ride a little further with gearing and motor mods. GASGAS 200s are a little weak on the bottom but rev to the moon so the head squish mod and larger power valve cover are very effective and not too expensive but I would never put a heavier flywheel weight on a 200. Only put flywheel weights on bikes that have too much power or are prone to stall - neither is a problem for a properly jetted 200 gasser. For woods riding a 4/1 gear ratio (12/48 or 13/52) works well. A lower ratio of 12/50 would be better if you like climbing hills.`
Old 10-08-2015, 12:08 PM

Since the owner is new to the bike who knows what has been done to is.....by the pictures he has provided it looks like a 2k2 ignition has been installed. 2k3 was OEM set up for 99...if the motor is a 99 motor?

Did someone take a porting tool to the cylinder?

Is the squish correct?

Has the timing been advanced or retarded?

What jets are in the carb? I asked him in a PM to check the jets and post them. 12Brovo reached out to me when he picked up the bike......we exchanged numerous PM's back and forth to try and sort things out...someone referred 12Brovo to me, so I did what I could to provide info.

It sounds like a runner based upon 12Brovo's first ride or so.

gasser bring up valid points....

There is just too much unknown......just my .02
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 10-08-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Since the owner is new to the bike who knows what has been done to is.....by the pictures he has provided it looks like a 2k2 ignition has been installed. 2k3 was OEM set up for 99...if the motor is a 99 motor?

Did someone take a porting tool to the cylinder?

Is the squish correct?

Has the timing been advanced or retarded?

What jets are in the carb? I asked him in a PM to check the jets and post them. 12Brovo reached out to me when he picked up the bike......we exchanged numerous PM's back and forth to try and sort things out...someone referred 12Brovo to me, so I did what I could to provide info.

It sounds like a runner based upon 12Brovo's first ride or so.

gasser bring up valid points....

There is just too much unknown......just my .02
I have to agree, I an new and I don't know enough about these bikes yet. What I do know is the motor is a 99 EC200, it is stamped on the side of the motor. What has been done to the internals, not a clue, haven't taken it apart yet.

The jetting, I forgot to look when I had the carb off and cleaning it. Will do that this week to see what it says.

How do I see if a porting tool has been used?
I will have to learn what the squish is?!
Will have to look up how to time this motor. I can time my Honda Rancher just fine, just did a valve adjustment. I am not familiar at all with 2 Stroke, I'm learning.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
Let's look at the big picture. 1st a 200 gasser should not run in the way you describe so something is definitely wrong. My understanding of what you said is that the motor runs very poorly and weak at lower throttle settings then clears up very quickly to run strong. If that is the case you have a jetting problem (or something that affects your jetting). Gearing and flywheel weights can help modify a bike to your personal needs but it would be best if you get your jetting needs settled first. Start by looking at your oil. Does it have a flash point over 300 degrees Fahrenheit? If it does your slow riding may be loading the cylinder and pipe up with unburned oil causing the motor to load up until it revs fast enough to blow itself out. Keep your oil ratio the same but switch to an oil that has a flash point near or below 200F. You may want to find a big open field or dirt road where you can run the bike at high throttle for an extended time to blow the excess oil out of the pipe and silencer. Next I suggest you drop in the appropriate Suzuki needle (Jacobi is the guru on jetting). The Suzuki needles run the cleanest and strongest right off idle and are very manageable in power delivery. Once you get your jetting straight then you can fine tune your ride a little further with gearing and motor mods. GASGAS 200s are a little weak on the bottom but rev to the moon so the head squish mod and larger power valve cover are very effective and not too expensive but I would never put a heavier flywheel weight on a 200. Only put flywheel weights on bikes that have too much power or are prone to stall - neither is a problem for a properly jetted 200 gasser. For woods riding a 4/1 gear ratio (12/48 or 13/52) works well. A lower ratio of 12/50 would be better if you like climbing hills.`
With the 300F flash point, I didn't know that. This is why I post on here to LEARN, I know it can get frustrating for people that know all this stuff. For us that don't, the hours of searching through endless threads that may or may not have what we need is just as frustrating and annoying as asking a question to quickly.

I have some work to do to the bike, looks like I have a bad seal or o-ring behind the front sprocket. Plus I will pull the carb and see what jets I have and report back and see about finding the right one to use.

With the oil mix, what brands do you all use that is a low flash point? I am using Champion right now, but will change as needed. The Spooge that is coming out of the bike make sense with what you said about burn off. There is a lot of oil coming out of pipe!
Old 10-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
Start by looking at your oil. Does it have a flash point over 300 degrees Fahrenheit? `
I just looked up the oil I am using. It has a flash point of 175f, I was surprised. Now I think I really do have a jetting issue, that low of a flash point and having this much spooge leads me this direction.