Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Isopropal alcohol would probably be the best additive to prevent icing, if my math is correct, 2% of 85/15 and 98% pure petroleum gasoline would give you about 5% total alcohol in the gas . This would be enough to prevent most instances of icing. 10% alcohol( gasohol) is what we have here in the midwest, most Chevys, Toyotas and VWs run just fine, but 2 strokes like a little richer jetting w/10% mix. Years ago Polaris recommended 1 or 2 bigger main jets, 1 size bigger on the pilot and adjusting the needle for snowmobiles running gasohol. If you're riding in colder weather you should be jetted richer anyway.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iajim View Post
Isopropal alcohol would probably be the best additive to prevent icing, if my math is correct, 2% of 85/15 and 98% pure petroleum gasoline would give you about 5% total alcohol in the gas . This would be enough to prevent most instances of icing. 10% alcohol( gasohol) is what we have here in the midwest, most Chevys, Toyotas and VWs run just fine, but 2 strokes like a little richer jetting w/10% mix. Years ago Polaris recommended 1 or 2 bigger main jets, 1 size bigger on the pilot and adjusting the needle for snowmobiles running gasohol. If you're riding in colder weather you should be jetted richer anyway.
If the bioethonol fails I`ll try the Isopropal alcohol.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:45 AM

Did e85 mix help?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:05 AM

Yes bike running well now thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 03:56 AM

In sweden all gasoline has 15% ethanol, probably to reduce this problem with +/-° shifting a regularly winter (not this winter thou ). It is funny to se people still buying little bottles of "carb´de-iceing" for lot´s of money. Yeah sure that 1% extra will keep yoU safe from harm
Old 01-22-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevs View Post
Its icing inside, going to try the mods suggested ,hopefuly will be ok.

Take some photos next time, there are some photos of our rideouts on VDSR website.

Thanks
Hi, Im in Wales too...Newport, South Wales...what does carb icing feel like ?? went out yesterday, mine was ok in cold but played up a lot after going through water..would not tick over, felt very choked up and splutery but would clear after a few 5 minutes... air box was clear, not sure if was sucking up water through breather pipes ???
Old 01-24-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehipkiss View Post
Hi, Im in Wales too...Newport, South Wales...what does carb icing feel like ?? went out yesterday, mine was ok in cold but played up a lot after going through water..would not tick over, felt very choked up and splutery but would clear after a few 5 minutes... air box was clear, not sure if was sucking up water through breather pipes ???
Hi, carb icing feels like the choke is full on all the time its a real pain when it happens, I`v routed my breather pipes into the air box this works well to stop water from entering carb, sounds like that what happened to your bike its a quick and easy fix
Old 01-24-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevs View Post
Hi, carb icing feels like the choke is full on all the time its a real pain when it happens, I`v routed my breather pipes into the air box this works well to stop water from entering carb, sounds like that what happened to your bike its a quick and easy fix
All the pipes, or just the ones to the top of the carb ??
Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehipkiss View Post
All the pipes, or just the ones to the top of the carb ??
I`v just got the top 2 from the carb going up into airbox, some riders have all there pipes going into it, have had no problems with mine in water.

Whats the riding like in Newport?
Am from Llanelli
Old 01-24-2010, 02:18 PM

Well, no riding today anyhow. The bike was stone dead. Most probably from icing. Last weekend on the mx track it was working perfectly, so I'm doing the carb wrap and extra alcohol ASAP.

Later