Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Banned

Skid. Are you sure that 125 and 250 frames are different? exept for the tighter radius of the under engine tubes? I know that jap motocrossers shared fundamentally the same chassis between the tiddler and the 250. I know because cactusreid put a 250 motor into a 125 chassis and only modified the under those engine tubes.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 PM

bear not sure what the diff is between the 250 and 125. Just was going on what I was told ... that ktm made some changes to the 08 chassis to get it to turn. I figured it was in response to hearing people crab about how thier ktm didn't turn and how well gassers did turn. I know guys who have 07's that make complaints that sound just like my 03. the 08 I rode was nothing like the 03. I figured they reworked the chassis to get it to turn and, dialed back the hit to make it easier to ride and reworked the valving to make it more plush. In any case, unlike the 03, the 08 sure got me smiling!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 PM

hmm poking around the gas gas and ktm sites I noticed that the all the bikes have the same wheel base. gasser 200 and 250 and 300 plus ktm 200 and 250 are all 58" wheel base. gasser uses 62.5/65 bore and stroke on thier 200 while ktm is 64/60. Do those numbers tell you anything about engine characteristics?? To bad there wasn't an 08 or 09 gasser 200 close by to test ride. small dealer network might cost these guys a sale .... I'll have to do a little more digging before I pull the trigger.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:14 PM

The big change to the KTM enduro line in 08 was the change of the PDS angle being more laid down. The MX bikes got this in 07 and actually the 07 enduro chassis was new also. The shock is also a little bit longer. It's supposed to turn better but some actually prefer the 07 chassis but this could be the more finicky setup nature of the KTM PDS system and front to back balance. The stock 09 suspension has been getting great reviews. Both the forks and the shock got some significant changes.

Yes the KTM 200 uses the 125 chassis however dimentionally it's very very close in size to the 250 and 300. Because of the really light weight people assume it's a much smaller bike but it's not. This has been hashed out allot over on KTM Talk.

The motor is very tuneable. Different pipes, needles, ignitions, powervalve settings, flywheel weights, head mods and porting changes, gearbox ratios etc. can make the motor mild to wild. The one general concensus seems to be "a really fun bike" from anyone who gets to take a ride on one.

Skid, do you live in VT? If so I'm sure Billy Burns will let you ride his GG 200. It will have a Rekluse in it and probably a trials tire as Billy loves that combo for NE. Don't jump ship yet until you try a newer 200 GG. I'll bet you could still find some new 07 GG 200's around with some digging. Might find a really good deal on one of those. I thought I read there will be no 2009 GG 200's brought into the US but you might want to check with Go Fasters about that to be sure. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 AM

I have a friend who buys a couple new pumpkins a year, and an occasional Honda as well. He had an '08 200 he sold for an '08 e-start 300. He liked it, said the shock was better but the forks still sucked. No turning complaints. From the ones I've owned and ridden, new and older, I think the suspension is eaiser to set up on the bigger (heavier) bikes, but the 200s turn better. One of my biggest complaints with the 200 is the vibes, brutal for a small bike.

If I didn't ride a GG, I'd buy a Yamaha 250F, no question about it. I really like the newer aluminum framed bikes I've tried Easy to ride, good suspension, and very reliable as a woods bike, as your not bouncing off the limiter all the time like on the track.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Banned

I wish that gasgas would make a decent 200.I feel that the current designe, bore stroke is to under square to enable the engine to have any real potential, due in no small part to gasgas's modular use of its cases in all three of the bigger 2 strokes. Out of all the bikes Ive owned the sweetest motor of all was a worked over wr 200, 66.8 mm bore, counter balanced, servo controlled power valve. It was sweet , super controlable and would rev to the stratosphere. Unfortunatly it had its original street bike gearbox and frame as well as the suspension was pure crap.Despite its short comings it was so much fun to ride but sadly, despite all of the mods i did could only ever be considered about 80% there.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

widebear...
I had one of those wr200's and it was pretty sweet. I rode that thing for 2 years and loved it. I would say your description is right on.
It was my favorite bike ever, til I hopped on the xc300 i have now. I was looking for a 200 when i came across the 300......

Last edited by jhendr3702; 11-04-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I had a '98 & a 2000 KTM 200, & I've swapped for rides on several new 1s, including an '08. I think it's arguably KTM's best bike, & for riding fast in tight, flat woods it's hard to beat. but I'm not ready to swap my '07 GG 300 for another 1 (but if I did, it would be an '09 200 XC).
Old 11-07-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
Nooooooooooo!!!!

I Swapped rides with a buddy who has an 08 ktm 200 exc or whatever the letters are these days .... Rode it for about 10 miles. This thing was the polar opposite of the 03 200 exc I had. It was bone stock, the suspension worked well, it seemed to turn just fine, nice smooth power band, all stuffed into a nice tight 125 frame. It was lighter than my 300, seemed easier to ride and I did not have to worry about the motor Lightin' off If I got a little ham fisted .... I liked it.....
A lot!!! hmmm might be some orange in my future ....
Damn I hate the sounds of that .... But it was a really nice ride!!
NOOO! DON'T GO OVER TO THE ORANGE SIDE!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
Nooooooooooo!!!!

I Swapped rides with a buddy who has an 08 ktm 200 exc or whatever the letters are these days .... Rode it for about 10 miles. This thing was the polar opposite of the 03 200 exc I had. It was bone stock, the suspension worked well, it seemed to turn just fine, nice smooth power band, all stuffed into a nice tight 125 frame. It was lighter than my 300, seemed easier to ride and I did not have to worry about the motor Lightin' off If I got a little ham fisted .... I liked it.....
A lot!!! hmmm might be some orange in my future ....
Damn I hate the sounds of that .... But it was a really nice ride!!
I told you back in the day to get the Gas-Gas 200.