Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM

Nice. Thanks for the photo report!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:51 PM

If those four rubber-grommeted holes on top of the battery box are part of the seat hold-down system, then we'll have to be more creative.

I was happy that GG went away from the combo kickstand/chain roller mechanism. No reason for one point to do double duty. Now we have another thing to fix.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

We had a pretty long discussion on the battery box. It went from quick release bolts for the B box for the E start bikes. To an aluminum bar attached across the subframe that incorporated the seat hold down wedge needed for the seat which again had a quick release system. Not using the B.box at all. And of coarse parts either on safety wire or something so you don't loose them. The 4 little 8mm bolt that hold the B box to the frame are very finicky and could very easily be dropped down never to be seen again. As stated above there is a great opportunity for someone to design a better system.
Don't get me wrong here... This bike rocks. Everyone was drooling...Some of the riders that have orders and will be competing are just trying to figure out a quick way to change the air filter.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 01-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
If you don't have an e start, just get the battery box out of the airbox. With the battery box removed, looks like there is more room. The back of the tank sure covers the sealing lip Looks like filter socks could be you best friend
The battery box is a structural part of the subframe and the seat also catches on it (like it use to on the tank) so it can not be left out.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:37 PM

I think I'm going to convert mine to 4 "D" style 1/4 turn rings. I guess the e-start bikes will have leads long enough to remove the complete box .
Old 01-22-2012, 06:05 PM

One ting for sure, even an aftermarket seat hold down will have to be removed to check the filter for proper seating.

Couple quick ideas I have are to first slot the holes, so the bolts do not have to be removed, and possibly dropped. Second, use knurled, thumb screw type fasteners. I have one of these holding the seat on my '07 now. The plastic could be trimmed for easier access and would not be visible with the seat on. Now your back to a no tools filter if fast changes are that important, but you still need to get the seat off. I assume thats bolted from under the fender?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:36 PM

I'm hoping they can sort the cartridge filter setup out and hope I can retrofit it to my 2012.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 PM

The bike looks great. Can hardly to wait to ride one in the spring!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:38 PM

Non e start bikes could have the battery box bolted to the seat base instead of the sub frame. May need to install locator pins in the bolt holes to engage the subframe. Or vise versa. Then the box would just remove with the seat, allowing easy access to the filter. The locator pins would maintain the side ways rigidity of the sub frame. Kind of shocked they ended up with a set up like this after designing an entire new bike.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
. Kind of shocked they ended up with a set up like this after designing an entire new bike.
Remember, they originally designed it for the cartridge type air filter. The seat was never intended to be removed for the air filter access.