Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:51 AM

The Tafta covers, I had one of those. They were cast, as an aluminum foundry was the Tafta's main business I beleive.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Tafta wasn't making his cast aluminum PV covers when Les started making them. And Les at LTR actually talked with Tafta to make sure that him making his would be okay with him, prior to designing and selling his own design. Tafta said he had no intention of making them any longer and it was fine with him for Les to proceed.

It did take Les a good amount of time to design, make engineering drawings, pay for setup (CNC programming), a proto run and then pay for production runs... It would be nice if it were as trivial as some would say; That said, copying someone elses part very directly, as some have done, does take alot of the work out of it.

jeff
Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM

This cover controversy is interesting reading but how about those FMF Turbine Core 2 Silencers?

Is there a comprehensive silencer comparison somewhere online anyone knows about? TIA
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 03-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The TC2 isn't "quiet" but it isn't obnoxiously loud either. That being said, I did pass a sound test at one event to run on u.s.f.s. land - 96 db.

jeff
Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 PM

I just started my bike tonight with a brand new TC2. Not bad, comparable to the OEM GG silencer. The thing with TC2s is the silencer section is short, and when the packing gets spooged up they get loud.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpduc View Post
First, It's good to see a GasGas contingent represented here and that GasGas has a good MN connection with Hyde, RT&T, GoFasters, etc.
You'll find Minnesota a very friendly place to own a Gas Gas. Somehow we've become one of the central concentrations of Gas Gas presence in the United States. One of the few places in the country you can go to an event and count just as many Gassers as KTM's. This summer, you'll find a pretty tight, friendly group of Gas Gas owners at the D23 events. There's even a batch of crazy Gassers from Manitoba that come to a lot of the D23 events. I was a dealer from 2000-2006 up near Fargo (I am thinking of getting back in with the current awesome importer/distributor situation).

Makes a guy happy and proud.

If you're in MN, I'd just contact GoFasters. While I respect, and don't want to appear to knock Jack or RT&T (who has been selling the bikes in the state for a long, long time and has ooodles of experience) GoFasters, as the official factory parts connection, probably have the all the answers you're looking for and are well staffed.

On the powervalve cover, I've noticed the 200 and 250 get the most low end boost from them (LTR or Checkpoint). I have a TC2 and have never been booted for noise. I'm seriously overdue for a repack too.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 AM

Judging from the state of maintenance on the rest of these machines, I'd guess these things have never been repacked.

I'd obviously like to pass any sound checks I may encounter should I decide to "race" but 96 dB is still too loud for my tastes. My real objective is to be AQAP. (as quiet as possible) I just think it's responsible and THE issue for all the motorized rec opponents. I was happy to discover when I started lurking on the off-road boards that there was a contingent pushing quiet.

I saw the post about the FMF "Stealth" and have seen mention of the Q but haven't checked specs and availability. It appears the "Stealth" is new and not available for GasGas? I presume the difference is in the mounts? I'm not averse to doing some cuttin and weldin to make one work if it can get me to AQAP.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 AM

Back in Jan @ a local D-36 CC race I had my 99 EC 200 sound checked. The packing was about a year old, I passed no problems with a 93 or 94. I was informed, that the smaller the cc the bike is, the lower horsepower is, the lower the rpm's is to check the bike for sound. I don't think that you'll have any problems with the FMF TCII S/A. As GasGas ownes we have limited choices when it come to S/A.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 03-06-2008, 08:54 AM

FWIW, at District 23 events, my G300 with TC2 silencer has tested at 89-93, with 92 being the most common reading. That's a -long- way from 96 db and I'm not fanatical about repacking the silencer. Repack them and see what you find. Should be legal for sure.

I know someone who bought a Q silencer for a KX250 and he thought it was a waste of money since it wasn't any quieter than his TC2. I'd wait to see what happens with the "Stealth" or look into the db snorkel add-on.

Jon
Old 03-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Yes- check out what others say about the "dB Snorkle"
on the KtmTalk Website. It is supposed to be really quiet.

I have hose clamped a 8-10 inch piece of inner tube to the end of the silencer for a hokey-looking additional silencer,
seems to help a little.