Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 11-23-2010, 11:18 PM

Just finished a rebuild on an '05 450 FSE ... the owner brought two batteries when the bike was dropped off.

Even under the best circumstances, if I had to crank the bike more than a couple times either battery was good for two starts max. The kickstart was utterly useless ...

Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters

Old 11-24-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Just finished a rebuild on an '05 450 FSE ... the owner brought two batteries when the bike was dropped off.

Even under the best circumstances, if I had to crank the bike more than a couple times either battery was good for two starts max. The kickstart was utterly useless ...
Sounds like mine. A 2006. Just went to the garage to start it as it's been sat for quite a while. It's getting cold now and the oil is thick. It started immediately idled a couple of secs then stalled then wouldn't start because the crank speed was now too low! The battery is now back on the Optimate so I can try again soon. The battery/starter is just too marginal. I had the same problems last winter, only a fully charged battery can crank fast enough. GasGas - not everyone lives in Spain or California either make a kickstart that works or a starter that's up to the job in winter or an ECU that adjusts correctly and doesn't let a cold engine stall. Every other injection bike I have raises the idle when cold.

I think it's also a lot to do with the budget Fi, both cold starting and the kickstart issue. My theory is that unless the engine spins fast it just can't fire up. A slightly more powerful starter might fix it. Anyone know how to tune electric motors?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:10 AM

I have a 2009 450 model and it idles at 1900-2080 rpm when hot but will sometimes make just 1600-1700 rpm the first minute i start it which can result in the typical cough and stall . I really hate it when that happens because it won't start immediatly after when cold. I fix this by putting idle (when hot) at 2050-2200 rpm's which let's the motorcycle start faster and with slightly higher start rpm's. The downpart of this is that it heats up quicker when waiting at traffic lights, crossroads etc... The only fuel injected bike besides the Gas Gas i ever had was a honda SH300 scooter and this thing always fired up within a second of a button's touch and always idled smooth from the start even at extreme cold winter temperatures. I also have had 5 carburated road motorcycles and not one of them gave me problems except a shitty throttle response when cold. It's a shame that the FI gasser's have these problems because fuel injection shouldn't give you problems no matter at which altitude or temperatures you ride.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Contact the user "Nick" here on the forum - he was previously a gasgas dealer in elko, nevada - he has the most experience, and success, of anyone I know in setting up this motor.

I would run a synthetic oil in the bike in the wintertime to eliminate the slow idle issue. Also, I remember from long ago, that one thing that helped during a hard start scenario was to turn the bike off for a minute or two to allow the ECU to reset and try again.

Jeff
Old 11-25-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the tips . I will use synthetic oil next time i change my oil, i have always used MOTUL 5100 10W40 before. Will try MOTUL 300V 5W40 next time i do an oil change.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Do an advanced search on the forum here - specify the user name to be "Nick" and the keyword "starting" - you will see alot of tips in the results...

1. Install a manual cam chain tensioner - I would imagine this is the same manual cam chain tensioner for a suzuki drz400 - the oem one on the suzuki is junk and a billet replacement is available. -
2. You only need to turn off for 10-15 seconds for the ecu to reset if it doesn't start initially.

3. There are other tricks - but not sure if they apply to the '04 - e.g. modifying the cam to change the cranking pressure when the decompression mechanism is engaged.

Jeff
Old 11-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Out of curiosity, I also looked up the specs on the parts unlimited battery that is "equivalent" to the yuasa ytz7s battery that you should be using - they actually don't make the exact same battery - so you probably have one with less CCA (cold cranking amps).

The parts unlimited battery that I see is spec'ed at 90 cold cranking amps whereas the yuasa has 130...

I would spend the extra $$$ and get the exact yuasa that is spec'ed for the bike...

jeff
Old 12-10-2010, 11:21 AM

I'm now running synthetic oil CHAMPION 4T RACING 5W50 ESTER at 16 €/l. Was planning to use motul 300V synthetic but at 20€ for a liter as opposed to the previously bought motul 5100 half synthetic at 9€/l, the price was too much for me since the mechanic from the shop suggested synthetic CHAMPION oil. The only differences i notice are: slightly faster starting and slightly harder shifting. I bought it to stop my low idle cold issue but that sadly doesn't work. Guess i'll have to live with that little issue but hey for the rest there ain't anything to complain about the 450 engine .
Old 12-10-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
Make sure you also check it all through the RPM range, a bad rectifier/regulator may give 13.6 at idle but give 17V at 3/4 throttle
I wouldn't give it 3/4 throttle in neutral!! Unless you're very confident of the rev limiter. Just rev it a bit.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 PM

Default low down starting blues

Kicking around a couple of ideas to try on my FS450 this winter. Turnteck battery seams like a must with larger diameter wires to the starter. I dont have the bike at my house right now to see what is stock. Makes sence to deliver as much juice to the starter as possible.
Anybody try a block heater that they use on boats? There fairly cheap and dont take a lot of juice. My cold start procudure is to kick and elec start at the same time. Usually allways works but if it doesnt I am screwed. Last time that happened I had to compression start it down a 1/4 mi hill. I know I have to figure this out because the next time it happens its going over the hill.