Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:30 AM

i found that the frame on the gg needs spreading when you come to reassemble everything, so if you loosen the rear engine/linkage mounts that might relieve some pressure on the swingarm spindle.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:59 PM

well i got the linkage off but that axle is one stubborn S.O.B but next im gonna lay the bike on its side and just soak it with wd-40 hopefully it will penetrate. im just gonna be patient and take my time.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:02 PM

i used a impact hammer damn thing wont come out i beggining to get mad i think im gonna need a new axle, and on top of that the linkage bearings are rusted to the linkage
Old 12-13-2006, 04:44 PM

follow the linky--http://www.smackovermotorsports.com/...read.php?t=983 lots to read,but at least you know what is needed,dont give up!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Wheels7,

Just double-checking, but the only thing attached at this point is the swingarm. Correct?

It also helps the first time to remove the rocker arm and lower bolt on the rocker arm supports. This ensures nothing is causing additional constraints... only the swingarm bolt is left.

Here is a pic showing the other bolts to remove on the rocker arm and supports. Note: This picture was taken during reassembly (just before putting the swingarm back on).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swingarm_removal.jpg (53.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-13-2006, 09:17 PM

You'll get it. I went through it with a bike years ago.
Swingarms cannot be neglected. I went 1 1/2 years on this one. Too long for the wet year we had. It came apart without much fuss but the swingarm bearings are toast. Close call. The linkage bearings are fine though.
I'll not let it go more than 6 months again. Especially since I ride snow/ice too.

Last edited by Brian VT; 12-14-2006 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:27 PM

matt, both of those bolts are removed. I have been pounding on this thing with an air hammer and my mallet. its not budging at all. ive been using some penetrating oil but to no avail. its really becoming a pain i guess what it really needs is time. i got the idea of drilling into the back of the cases in order to get to the axle then putting some lube in there and when i was done i would just put a zirk fitting on so i could then lube everything later without removing any thing. does this sound plausible? well i guess ill just keep hammering and order up a new axle because the end of this one i mangled.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels7 View Post
i got the idea of drilling into the back of the cases in order to get to the axle then putting some lube in there and when i was done i would just put a zirk fitting on so i could then lube everything later without removing any thing.
Can't hurt. I'd still do regular tear-downs even with the zirks just so you don't end up in the same predicament again. Once a year is probably safe with good grease (see other posts about marine moly paste).
Old 12-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels7 View Post
i got the idea of drilling into the back of the cases in order to get to the axle then putting some lube in there and when i was done i would just put a zirk fitting on so i could then lube everything later without removing any thing.
When you say "cases"... do you mean the central portion of the engine case shown in my previous picture. If so, that would not help. This portion acts as a spacer and is a clearance fit to the swingarm axle. The axle only contacts the bushings (T-shaped components) located on each side of the swingarm. I attached a pic below from the parts catalog to help illustrate.

As shown in the pic:
The needle bearings (44) are pressed into the swingarm. The bushings (45) get clamped between the frame and engine case by the swingarm axle (24). This allows the needle bearings to rotate about the bushing during suspension travel. Therefore, the swingarm axle is really a clearance fit to all items... bushings, engine case, rocker arm supports, etc.. The swingarm axle only provides the clamp load and alignment to keep everything functioning.

I would guess the swingarm axle is seized to the bushings (45). Hopefully, the bushings are not seized to the needle bearings. This would mean the bearing races have been rotating within the swingarm (i.e., no longer a pressfit). This would not be good.

When you finally get it apart and ready to put back together... put some anti-seize or grease on the axle. Do this same thing with front and rear wheel axles. In all of these areas, the axles are only providing clamp load and are not the roller bearing/needle bearing surface (the races/bushings are doing this function).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swingarm bearings.jpg (19.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-16-2006, 09:40 PM

im gonna try loosening up the motor mounts im thinking these may be putting a bind on the axle if the motor is loose it may free it up