Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I'd hope the dealer did switch the tanks. The '12 tanks had issues swelling and fitting into the frame, the '13s are molded with more relief. Only 1 L difference, not worth the hassle of R&R a '12 tank trust me.
I'm with GMP here. I have a 2012 and that original tank had me furious trying to get it back into the bike. I had actually considered selling the bike due to it being so hard to R&R. GGUSA was awesome about it and I have a '13 tank now and it goes in and out a lot better.

1L loss is totally worth it.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelaston View Post
I'm with GMP here. I have a 2012 and that original tank had me furious trying to get it back into the bike. I had actually considered selling the bike due to it being so hard to R&R. GGUSA was awesome about it and I have a '13 tank now and it goes in and out a lot better.

1L loss is totally worth it.
All that sounds a bit dramatic. What happens when something really goes wrong?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 AM

No, it was not over dramatic. I take my tank off after every race or after every few rides for cleaning and maintenance. It was a deal breaker, if I had to fight with it the way I had to with the 2012 tank.

Mechanical failures happen and I can deal with those because I ride fairly hard and am likely the cause of those, but when the bike would not even come apart and go together as it was designed, I was ticked. The bolt hole in the tank was 6mm off from the hole in the frame. I pried with levers and heated it up to no avail. Clay and GoFasters came to aid and I have a '13 tank and have had ZERO problems since.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

ditto: I carry some spare bolts and washers now.
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:59 PM

Jp is right. Although it sounds like an annoyance its a big problem. You can't line up the mounting hole and the tank does not sit square in the frame. If the tank does not fit, nothing else fits. I had to pull a vacuum on mine to refit it, and have not removed it since. I too just received a warranty tank ('13), Clay and Mark have been great with support.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Banned

Our ethanol plays hell with some plastics and the '12 tank would swell so the tank was tight and the hole in the front of the tank would not line up with the hole. The were changes in the in the '13 plastic and the tank was made a tad smaller so that if it did swell, the bolt hole would line up.
You may read this and ask why plastic was used on the '12s that would be effected by fuel with ethanol. When I was over there last summer, the production manager was telling me and my nephew that the week before their tank supplier had called and said we are out of business as of today. They had to scramble to find someone to make tanks and they did not have experience with ethanol fuel.
We have been warranting '12 tanks that have swelled and will no longer fit.
Fletch....I can assure you your dealer did not switch tanks on you. I'm sure the bolt was not tightened sufficiently and fell out.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Our ethanol plays hell with some plastics and the '12 tank would swell so the tank was tight and the hole in the front of the tank would not line up with the hole. The were changes in the in the '13 plastic and the tank was made a tad smaller so that if it did swell, the bolt hole would line up.
You may read this and ask why plastic was used on the '12s that would be effected by fuel with ethanol. When I was over there last summer, the production manager was telling me and my nephew that the week before their tank supplier had called and said we are out of business as of today. They had to scramble to find someone to make tanks and they did not have experience with ethanol fuel.
We have been warranting '12 tanks that have swelled and will no longer fit.
Fletch....I can assure you your dealer did not switch tanks on you. I'm sure the bolt was not tightened sufficiently and fell out.
Clay, I was pretty sure they would not!!! As I have been buying bikes from them for almost 20 years!!! Today it was bothering me so I went over to storage and drained my tank, and went and bought exactly 2.7 us gall of gas. Well sure enough the tank held ALL 2.7 gall and there was room for almost a quart more I would say. 1 ltr of fuel means alot to me!! I'm a pretty fast A rider and have had the misfortune of running out of fuel. It sucks!! So I'm pretty sure it holds 2.8 to 2.9 us gall. Not bad for and enduro bike!!! Hope I have no issues, but I NEVER NEVER use any fuel with ethonol!!! I had a Harley XR 1200 and read the same thing. Guys that were putting ethanol gas in their bikes were having trouble with swelling etc... Hope the 12 tank is fine, and 1 LTR of fuel could mean the difference in getting to the next reset!!! Just lost the bolt not the other piece. Dealer sending one ASAP!! Now sadly my sexy bike will be in storage until spring. Thanks all for the help! I guess I better loctite a few things!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
They are a b*tch to get on so pretty sure it did not vibrate out. You might want to ask your dealer if they put it on?

The 12' tank holds 10.5 litres. The 13' 9.5 Litres. So 2.7 gallons vs. 2.5 gallons.
Looks like the 12 tank for sure holds more then 2.7 gall as I put that much in today and was room for app a quart or so more of fuel.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Banned

I have the same bike, same tank on my 12'. And yes it fits tight, but I wouldn't call it a "deal breaker" considering how great the rest of the bike is.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
I have the same bike, same tank on my 12'. And yes it fits tight, but I wouldn't call it a "deal breaker" considering how great the rest of the bike is.
I agree and does it really fit that tight???????????????