Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 AM

Thanks, I just read about the Cycra guards but never saw them. Maybe I'll just refurb my old damper again instead of getting a new one, and get a set of these instead. I will be riding the 48 Zokes in the same trash after all.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM

That Cycra/Flexx combo looks pretty stout to me.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...lexx-Bars.aspx

Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM

The flex bars are strong. Mine have countless crashes and tip overs, some of them violent. Any handguard will work, you just need a mount, purchased or fabed to attach the handhguards to the pivot bolt. Those cycras look shinny for sure but like almost all other handguards they are not beefy enough at the bar end. I went through three handguards last spring, they all busted at the bar end. Eventually I made my own and despite my best efforts I can't break them.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Fastway's F.I.T. system attaches the inner mount to the handlebar clamp and includes a nylon washer to allow some flex at that point.

I spoke with Cole Townsend (Flexx bars) and he was an advocate of this mounting arrangement over the base Cycra.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Bar end, I'll snap a pic of the homemade mounts.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM

My riding buddy wrecked so hard he pulled the bolts out of the triple clamp with no bending or breaking of the bar. Hows that, they maybe too stout?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post

Bar end, I'll snap a pic of the homemade mounts.

Is that a spacer under your gas tank? Is it just to get some more seat height?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 PM

Steve,

So your saying that the FIT System mount/damper mount/bar clamp can be used with these and provides enough flex? I'll have to look closer at the PMB site.

Girard,

Seeing that pic of the Cycras I agree 100%. Thats a long bolt, and if you go down with the bars tucked under, a lot of leverage will be put on it. Better if they added another bend in the guard to bring it flush to the pivot and use a shorter bolt.

Right now I use a set of BikeBonz, EE guards, and my own damper mount plate that bolts over the BikeBonz. I use brass M8 bolts to attach the guards to the BikeBonz, because I have heard of breakage issues and my gut feeling backs this up. This way the bolt will bend/break in a bad crash and not break the mount. Normal crashes are no problem, a big one bent a bolt. I have a few in my fanny pack if needed. Everything does fit very well together in a nice clean setup so overall I'm happy, but there is no movement for Flexx bars.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Steve,

So your saying that the FIT System mount/damper mount/bar clamp can be used with these and provides enough flex? I'll have to look closer at the PMB site.
The inner mount uses a captured screw and a nyloc nut, but there is also a nylon washer provided with the kit. Basically you run the nut down "sort of snug" and let it float on the nylon washer. No issues with retention and allows the flex required, plus its a little cleaner on hose and cable routing.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-13-2012, 01:42 PM

This is the third bike I've had these bars mounted on and have yet to damage them. This is the exact setup I use on my bike. The long bolts that go through the pivot will bend on occasion, but I know enough now to keep them in stock in my toolbox.