Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 PM

I have an 07' fse 450 that I use for the tight technical stuff and have problems with over heating.has anyone tried mounting a small fan on one? any suggestions would be great!
I noticed my "black" muffler is now more goldish colour,wonder if this is from overheating or just a natural fading? also my oil light flickers on and off at idle?
cheers
James

Old 09-02-2008, 01:14 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My '05 FSE has a fan mounted from the factory. Never overheats.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialslord View Post
I have an 07' fse 450 that I use for the tight technical stuff and have problems with over heating.has anyone tried mounting a small fan on one? any suggestions would be great!
I noticed my "black" muffler is now more goldish colour,wonder if this is from overheating or just a natural fading? also my oil light flickers on and off at idle?
cheers
James
James, I had the oil light problem like you..
It was fixed on warrenty. Something about the clutch cover??

Mine also overheats on tight single track and slow muddy uphill climbs.

PM JRDoz he has added a 06 fan to his 07 if I remember right.

I will eventually get around to it.

Gav.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialslord View Post
cheers
James
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavGav View Post
PM JRDoz he has added a 06 fan to his 07 if I remember right.
Hey all, the fan I fitted is a genuine part available for the 07 models. It came with a relay and harness plug as well... I don't have the part numbers sorry. I did have to mod the fan slightly as I run Force Radiator guards, nothing serious though. Pretty easy stuff.

Oh and the muffler does fade...

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 PM

I know this is an old thread, but can some one help me with my 06 450 FSE overheating.

When I bought the bike it had a busted cooling fan and some banged up radiators but it didnt seem to matter because it never boiled anyway. I rode the bike like this for 18 Months. In the last 6 months it has started over heating. First thing i did was get the radiators repaired all straightened out and bent back into shape. The radiator shop did a great job and they looked brand new again. I didnt want to bang the radiators up again so I installed some force radiators guards. THe bike kept overheating so I decided i better sort the fan out. I ended up buying a Spal 4" Pull Fan through ebay. The fan mounted very easily with zip ties on to the exisintg oem fan shrowd. I found out the flow rate of each fan to compare and they are almost exactly the same (OEM - Comex is 150 CFM - the SPAL fan is 147 CFM). The spal fan is the same as the stock KTM fan. THe wiring is exactly the same and it has the same plugs as the OEM Gas Gas fan. Also it was a lot cheaper than the oem fan.

So over the weekend i go riding and it is still boiling. I can hear the fan running a lot.

Anyway does anyone know what i can do to make the bike run a bit cooler????? Are there any simple wires on an 06 FSE I can unplug. I assume the Force radiator guards reduce airflow over the radiators but to what extent im not sure. Im pretty sure it wouldnt be the issue otherwise they wouldnt be as popular as they are.

This is the only grief i have had with the bike other than this overheating issue this bike has been super reliable.

Last edited by 450GASGAS; 10-26-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:36 AM

I would get the mixture checked and try it without the rad guards if they restrict flow in any way.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

My 06 4fiddy has force guards and ggfan and no overheating here.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasmonkey View Post
My 06 4fiddy has force guards and ggfan and no overheating here.
Same here..is the radiator cap ok, Just a thought.

PS: Might be worth checking the water pump impellor, from what I have read
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Australia
Old 10-27-2009, 04:38 PM

THis is the bikes secoond radiator fan. I know the bikes previous owner replaced it. Also i know the radiator crowd pressure tested the radiator i assume this means testing to a pressure to confirm the radiator cap is functioning.

I have been researching the water pump. It sounds like the logical solution. Does the 06 450 have a plastic impeller. I have read that the plastic impellers wear out.

Also do I just need to take off the pump housing to replace the impeller? I have read about people having a lot trouble with the seals between the water and engine. If i am only changing the impeller do i only need to replace the seals as well, or is it simple job of draining the coolant, taking of the housing replacing the the impeller reasembling the pump housing???

Last edited by 450GASGAS; 10-28-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The '06 has an aluminium impeller, but check it anyway. To replace, just pop the lid and change it. You might need to replace the gasket.
Pressure testing a coolant system normally means putting the system under some pressure to find leaks, not checking the release pressure of the radiator cap.
Are you absolutely sure that the radiator cap is fully seated? A badly seated cap will not hold the pressure.