Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
I await the results of the shootout.

I'm rather impressed with the strides that KTM has made over the last six years. When my KDX220 got long-in-the-tooth back then, I began test-riding lots of KTMs, Hondas, Zooks, Yammies. I didn't want a 4T, and the KTMs just seemed wanting. I stumbled upon a test ride of a 2007 GG in Houston in 2007 and found what I was looking for -- I bought a used 2005 DE250 which probably hadn't found its match in KTM until, perhaps 2010-11.

I test-rode a few 2010 and 2011 KTM 250/300s over the last 9 months. The KTMs have vastly improved, but they still can't match the turning of the GG and that linkless rear suspension feels like it is a half-foot shorter in the moment-arm. Going over small whoops really brought out the gremlins in that system.

My bike was sprung for the former owner who was 50 pounds lighter than I. He was also faster. I had LTR re-spring and revalve for heavier and slower. I couldn't be happier.

I rode a 2010 KTM250 that was revalved by a local magician. The forks were the sweetest I have ever encountered over rocks and whoops while having impressive bottoming resistance. Unfortunately the rear suspension was still all de-linked and the comparison of front and rear was interesting to say the least -- it seemed like opposite ends of different bikes.

So, should I drop coin on a 2011-12 GG, I fully intend to get it revalved and possibly re-sprung. I hope the Ohlins in the Nambotin are too my liking.
Rick.....the full TTX stuff is really, really good when it is valved and sprung correctly. My Nambo was horrible to begin with. I understand from the Ohlins guys that the 2011 Nambo stuff is a lot different than the 2010. The valving specs for the 2011 is very close to what my '10 stuff was revalved to. If it is like my 2010, it will be very good!
Clay

Old 12-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Just ride the bike. Please?
And get it dirty? What kind of sick, sick person are you - LOL.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:03 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDude View Post
I doubt they have any where near the riding area we do. You can ride all day long and never hit the same trail twice.
Yes, we do have such trails in the not-so-civilized part of Europe I really hope the EU would not last that long to catch up with this "problem"...

Unfortunately, here in Europe there is no single interface to so many clients like you have in the US. I guess this is what the factory marketing dept. should be doing with each national importer. Don't know if they do it, though.

On a side note, I get the feeling you guys have the possibility (or opportunity?) to tweak and customize your bikes much more than around here. As far as I can tell majority of us deal with whatever changes you can make within the stock settings and limits. This means you have had a taste of better stuff more than we do, hence you know what to ask for. The oil-filling hole is no brainer, though...
Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have been following these threads with interest, and not really felt the need to chime in before as i dont live there and will likely never will!

You are right with regards to the oil filler hole that is a major pain in the arse, but the other 'faults' that you find arnt that bad for me, the fuel tank size is a no brainer for me as the furthest that you are ever from a petrol station over in the Uk is about 30miles and thats if you ever really get caught short! so i dont need a big tank, the fastners on the back of the subframe... think i have removed the subframe maybe twice since ive owned the bike and its an 02.. so not really an issue, the mismatch of fastners on the rest of the bike was easily addressed, i just removed the crappy odd sized ones and replaced with normal sized when i first got the bike, so again not really an issue.
Suspension wise, i think that is a personal thing and the factory is never going to find a setting that suits everyone but, other than changing springs i dont think we tend to fiddle as much with suspension over here compared to you, and i rode a 2010 ec 300 a couple of months ago and other than adgusting the clickers wouldnt change a thing!

I think the major difference between the US and the rest of the world is that you have a much bigger and better areas to ride so you tend to put more thought and effort into tuning your bikes to your particular needs.

I also think that you tend to want things set up right when you buy something whereas we are abit slack in that area and just 'put up' with problems over here or just find away to work round them rather than addressing them.

You do also seem to have a much better selection of bikes specification as we just get the EC over here rather than dealer options and specials, i dont even think there is a Namboutin in the Uk!

GasGas is still seen as abit of an oddball over here and whilst recognised as a good handling bike everyone tends to have orange fever so is often overlooked!
Also the dealer network for any type of offroad bike in the UK is sadly lacking, as we just dont have the room to play over here, so there is no need for lots of dealers and that situation is getting worse and worse as the months go by, pretty soon the only type of riding that we will be able to do will be closed course competition..

Count yourself lucky that you have good areas to ride and that you have a good importer now to push the brand.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Clay,

There is a few of us remaining from the Smackover fourm days, going back to the early 2000's....or earlier.....
Wait,, you say that like,, like,, well.. we might be old... I'm only 30! and have been for 12 consecutive years now! and still wont give up my 97,, best handling bike ever..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 12-30-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDude View Post

I wonder if the Europe rides have any complaints. It would be nice to know.
Yes, they do and the complaints are the same on this side of the pond. Take a look at http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/news/15...r-opinion.html
and visit GG facebook page, you will see them all there.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
Wait,, you say that like,, like,, well.. we might be old... I'm only 30! and have been for 12 consecutive years now! and still wont give up my 97,, best handling bike ever..
Holy cow, Cruiser! How are we gonna stay in business if you don't go and buy a new bike!
Clay
Old 12-30-2010, 12:18 PM

well I must say after spending a day looking over the new e-start that have finely made it here I'm just about ready to come back too be a gasgas owner, have to say tho think the aircleaner access is pretty bad tho, [to say least] why dont the battery tray at least unbolt to make room? and the fmf muffler does seem to rob a bit of room for trying to lift the bike also see they gets a 36mm keihin not the 38? mind you think think that probably a good thing. all and all tho truly the best new bike out there!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I have been told by my dealer that there a couple of easy to get to screws that take the left side cover off, then air filter access is wide open from the left side. He pointed them out to me and they look easy enough.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 PM

Smile compared to ?

Hope i'm not too late with an opinion, but; I have and have had Orange KTM's Gas Gas's and Husqvarna. I'm not an authority on what is best for every need but i would say that there is very little to complain about with regards to the KTM link-less suspension. This is a canard put out by the Japan-OMag's, it is still a principle of physics applied. These scooters today are amazing and when i think back to 4in. travel you just have to wonder. Power wise these Gas Gas 2-strokes are better than was even thought of back in the day. We have arrived at the point now where all our demands are met about our favorite brands and we still can't ride them to their full potential, nothing new it hasn't changed since the early 70's. The English have it right in that they buy a good bike and learn to ride it, if they are not first in an XC race they have at least entered and made a good day of it. The idea is to have a good time, dazzel yourself and hopefully not break anything.
The 2011 250cc Gas Gas is the absolute Berries, there is an English kid who rides a 200cc against the Pro Class and is top ten, whow. Buy the 2011 250cc and some cool riding gear then do it in the dirt and often.