Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
They call this a chain guide? A wet noodle has more snap.
No doubt! I wonder if that mount accepts the current TM designworks guide? Looks like it may, anyone?

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!

Old 09-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like it will.

Mounting bracket, if you don't have the OEM part.

http://www.tmdesignworks.com/index.p...x&cPath=3_4_73
Old 09-07-2010, 06:59 PM

... all we need now are fiches from the 2011s to see if its the same swingarm as 2010. If so, un-bolt the dangling guide and pop one of these TM puppies on.

Keep the ideas flowing guys ... an emerging aftermarket will build the strength of the brand, which in turn will give us more aftermarket choices.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 09-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Site Sponsor

Swingarms are the same.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 09-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Administrator

First off - Les isn't making these any more and yes he is my best friend - so I don't have a dog in this fight at all...

I talked to Les in detail when he came up with a mounting bracket to adapt an XR chain guide to the gasgas. We talked about machining something out of HDPE plastic - talked about TM designworks chainguide, etc. HDPE is very cheap and easy to machine - so it wouldn't cost much - but it wasn't the optimal solution. So yes, I think the TM Designworks chain guide is "better" but not "optimal".

I kept saying "I want an XR chain guide"... Why?

1. Because it has a mount further back that prevents the chain guide from deflecting.
2. The chain guide has a notch that "engages the sprocket" - so when it is deflected the sprocket itself becomes another thing that keeps the chain on the sprocket.
3. The honda XR guide has a hard rubber bottom piece that carries and cushions the chain. It wears a groove into it to hold the chain and wears a damn long time - and when it wears through to the 6mm bolts - you flip it over and run it for another "damn long time" before it needs replacement.

Related to the gasgas factory team running a better chain guide - it's funny, because when guillaume porte was a racer for the team and when he was team manager - they ran the LTR chain guide. But he left and they rebuilt the team...

So there are two questions here - what should gasgas do to stop issues with their race team and what should they do to engineer a best in class chain guide at a reasonable cost to them?

To stop nambotin from tossing his chain - a TM Design works chain guide would help alot - making up a bracket to mount an XR chain guide would work better - mike sheetz has an LTR chain guide bracket plus an XR chain guide that I bought for him to compete in the ISDE qualifiers - I can ask him to send to Clay to send it on to Mr Nambotin.

As a long term solution for gasgas to provide a best in class chain guide. They can copy Les' chain guide bracket and buy a XR style chain guide - UFO Plastics used to make a copy of it (I am fairly sure) so they have a mold for it... Patent must have expired by now - just copy the honda piece and be "done with it".

jeff
webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Site Sponsor

The broken chain syndrome, or derailed chain syndrome, that has plaqued Nambotin recently is a lot more common problem at the EWC /WEC level than most people realize.

I've attended a half dozen or so EWC / WEC events in my lifetime and a can recall seeing at least one chain incident at each event.

EWC / WEC riders, especially their better riders, have a tendency to run a very loose chain tension especially with the addition of the more extreme style tests with its trials course like terrain.

Riders at this level are looking for every advantage and feel their rear suspension works better when the chain is run just a little looser than you and I would run it so there is zero chance of it binding when the rear suspension is completely collapsed and the drive system is under load.

They obviously start the two-day event with a new chain and sprockets and a very loose chain for reasons stated above. If the mechanic and/or the rider aren't paying close attention to the chain tension at every technical service they can get into trouble in a hurry as the chain stretches slightly and the sprocket start to wear-in and before you know it there is a chance the chain can be easily deflected off the sprockets.

Should Nambotin start using a different chain guide, I'm not sure that's his biggest problem. He, and his mechanic, most likely should pay closer attention to their chain tension at every check.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The bracket for a plastic guide has been available all along as its what was on the MC model.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The bracket for a plastic guide has been available all along as its what was on the MC model.
I think the question was will it fit the TM Designs guide and how much do they cost would be next?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
I think the question was will it fit the TM Designs guide and how much do they cost would be next?
YES IT DOES AND THEY ARE PEANUTS TO BUY. HE HAVE BEEN USING THIS SET UP FOR ABOUT FOUR YEARS, NO ISSUES "KNOCK ON WOOD" MY LUCK WE WILL SPIT A CHAIN THE NEXT RACE.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
$69.95

http://www.tmdesignworks.com/index.p...x&cPath=3_4_73

Jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club