Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 PM

The porting on the gasgas is already pretty good for broad smooth power, if you had Eric port it to be more like the ktm 200, then imo, you went the wrong way as far as porting for torque is concerned. When jetted correctly the stock gasgas 200 engine already dorks the stock ktm 200 as far as torque is concerned.

The PV only affects the power delivery further up in the rev range, so I would expect it to be the same in the low revs with it disconnected and connected.
If you have it jetted lean on the pilot and small throttle openings, with a sufficiently rich portion as the bike comes on the pipe this would give you the explosive power delivery you talk of. Going bigger on the pilot and/or raising the needle may help with weak bottom end, but as GMP stated, most of us are in un charted waters now that the porting has been changed.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 PM

First as stated before porting does nothing to your jetting....

Didnt realize this was a 39mm I thought it was a 38....notice it says 250/300 not 200...that thing is 2mm too big for a 200...

I had a Husky CR125 with a Uptite 195 kit and FBF ported it....I had the carb bumped from the stock 36 to a 37 and it flat ripped on top and suffered a little on bottom...this was with a high compression head also...went back to 36mm and it was much better.....

A 250/300 sucks air/fuel from the carb MUCH harder/faster than a 125/200 will...so with a larger carb you may get the right amount of air/fuel to the motor but it still will not get there near as fast as a 36mm will get it there....now once you get it revving out it will absolutely scream on top...but wont be ridable...

Also, the PV on most machines is "closed" if the PV is not working which will make it in the best position for bottom end....
Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Default Ride Report is Good

I changed out that RB modded carb for my old 300, the stock carb was then put on with good results.

The low end response is better and the bike is more fun to ride. It feels like it is getting closer.

Jetting was 45 pilot 175 main, ddk #4. strong hit little bit better low end.

I also noticed the bike hesitating sometimes around the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle range. some funny noises were coming from the exhaust under load from hill climbs. 2nd gear 1/2 throttle style hillclimbs were the only time i heard it.

Would like the smoother power, so the search continues...

whats the preferred gearing for this bike in the tightest woods conditions...east coast style with hills, steep short ones?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheeb View Post
I changed out that RB modded carb for my old 300, the stock carb was then put on with good results.

The low end response is better and the bike is more fun to ride. It feels like it is getting closer.

Jetting was 45 pilot 175 main, ddk #4. strong hit little bit better low end.

I also noticed the bike hesitating sometimes around the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle range. some funny noises were coming from the exhaust under load from hill climbs. 2nd gear 1/2 throttle style hillclimbs were the only time i heard it.

Would like the smoother power, so the search continues...

whats the preferred gearing for this bike in the tightest woods conditions...east coast style with hills, steep short ones?
Change the needle and you'll change the power delivery. You have a heap at your disposal so start playing and find which one works best for you. Be careful though.. it can become addicting!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:18 AM

The gearing should be between 13-50 to 13-52 for tight east coast riding.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

So hows the bike feeling now? Any updates??
Old 11-21-2011, 02:22 AM

Hi ,

Thanks again for the tips, its been very helpful. The NEDH needle has been with me for a week now. I started with clip 4 but the 3rd seems a little bit cleaner and smoother. I really do prefer a more linear power delivery. and with torque if it can, the 200 just seems like it lacks the power I want. I sometimes wish I had the 300 still but the weight of the 200 rules. for some reason i thought shorter tighter gears would give the bike more power. Geared this low it still can bog going up the steep hills if I dont have lots of momentum. in short, its more difficult to ride well & fast compared to that old ktm 200.

This is the current jetting NEDH clip 3 175 that I just changed to a 170
45 pilot a/s 1 turn. The kawi needle was very similiar I thought N3WH. Jersey devil over on the ktm forum really likes this one as well as the spooge uki needles.

I was able to put a 52 on the rear but I still have to find my 13t for the front. The next plan is to get some taller gearing. I have run 12/51 12/52 the stock 13/48 and the 12/48. None of these felt ideal.

The suspension sure feels better. You know its working when you dont even have to think about it. I really dont like the stock triple clamps. even torqued at 10ft lbs they will stay crooked and are next to impossible to get straight again. Any one try the brp clamp with success????. I have never owned a bike with clamps that act like this...The gassers handle excellent but if the bars and clamps get crooked so easily I might as well be riding a lawnmower to the woods.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheeb View Post
I really dont like the stock triple clamps. even torqued at 10ft lbs they will stay crooked and are next to impossible to get straight again. Any one try the brp clamp with success????. I have never owned a bike with clamps that act like this...The gassers handle excellent but if the bars and clamps get crooked so easily I might as well be riding a lawnmower to the woods.
i never had a problem with triple clamps. the top nut has a tendency to loosen up, that's about the only problems i've had....

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 AM

??? I don't get this either. Even in my biggest get offs my forks stay straight, and my lowers are torqued very light. KTMs with the old 43s were really prone to twisting but not any GG I've had. Clean the clamping surfaces with scotchbrite and contact cleaner.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 AM

Maybe the clamps are twisted or the fork uppers are bent.