Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:16 PM

Hey thanks for the info on the bar set up. Sounds good, I will look into it. Still gotta sell the Husky before I go spending lots of money on the Gasser. I also need a set of tires and would like to try a trials tire out.. more things to think about

I like motorcycles can you tell?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:33 PM

Talking Got some questions for y'all

Ok so I have the suspension set up to my liking and I'm going to buy the Gasser for sure now. I don't have a owners manual so I have some questions that I'm hoping you guys can answer for me.

The rear brake is very grabby making it hard to modulate. It locks up way to easy for my liking. What can I do about it? Right now its set up with a solid rotor and unk brand pads that look new. The brake line looks stock.

It has a "Messico" pipe on it. Is that a good pipe? How would it compare to a FMF gnarly pipe?

Whats the front and rear sag supposed to be set at? I don't have a owners manual for it so I have no idea what its supposed to be set at.

I'm due for a oil change. whats the oil capacity? I generally use Red Line 10w30 in my bikes. Is that ok to use in the Gasser? Confirm there is no oil filter right?

On the side of the engine block there looks to be a tiny oil sight window. Is that how you measure the oil level or??

Also the kick start shaft is leaking pretty bad. Is that a easy fix? Whats the procedure?

Well thats about it for now. Thanks for your time everyone Happy Ridding!

-Graham-

Old 04-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Wink

The rear brake problem is likely related to fouled brake pads. I'd change the disk and the pads and see if that does it. You don't want a solid rotor in California anyway. While you're at it, bleed the system and get some fresh DOT in there. That solid rotor has likely sent some serious heat into the system.

The Messico pipe is the stock pipe from that era. It was fine. Unless it's damaged, I'd run it. I've heard that they are delicate, but I've had two different bikes with it on there and can't remember ever damaging, or even denting one. The FMF is probably the most common, least expensive replacement, but frankly I don't think it matters much. The old Doma was very nice, but very expensive. That Messico should be great, put it out of your mind unless it needs to be replaced because of damage.

Sag: Lots of guys run 110mm of sag on the older Gassers because the rear was a tad high. A set of LTR pull rods puts it in the right spot so you can run 100mm.

Oil: No filter, correct, it's just transmission oil, no real need for a filter. A two stroke gets all it's engine lubrication from that 32:1 fuel/oil ratio. The transmission takes about 1 quart. You can overfill most any two stroke transmission by 25% and be fine. I frankly don't know the capacity, but I've been dumping an entire quart in the tranny of each of my gassers since 1999. The sight glass is just there to make sure you have oil, and look at it's condition. I don't think it's a level, at least I think someone once said that, perhaps the dealer I first bought my initial bike from. Don't know. Just dump a quart in. Do yourself a favor and get a tiny funnel, or a hose into the bottom of a funnel to fill your oil. The single biggest flaw of all Gas Gas bikes is that stupid tiny little oil filler.

Kicker seal: Easy fix. Drain coolant. Take the kicker and brake pedal off. Lay the bike on it's left side. Remove radiator hose to water pump. Use 5mm allen wrench on a socket or speed wrench and pull all of the screws out of the outside of the clutch cover. Not the little clutch cover, but the case half sized clutch cover. Remove the side cover and poke the seal out. Press new seal in and reverse process. Don't forget about your return spring on the brake pedal, or the coolant in the radiators.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-02-2010, 11:31 AM

The Messico Pipe is......VERY $$$.$$ to replace, in fact if your going to get an FMF, and your going to toss the Messico, I'll take it. I am running the Messico on my bike (OEM) it takes a beating, front tire stones can dent the headpipe very easy. Pacific Crest Pipe Repair can blow out and fix the Messico. I've had mine repaired several times by them. As for a seat of the pants difference between the Messico and FMF, I'm no help. I've never tired them back to back. One thing about the Messico Pipe, it is a conversation starter....most people have never heard them.

As for the tranny oil, Kevin used Redline in the tranny of that bike and all his bikes, the 300 and his Buell. He also used Redline premix as well. I dump in 1000ml of oil into my pump bottle. When I'm done pumping my tranny is right at 950ml of oil. The oil will be right above the sight glass. No filter at all. The small hexhead oil filler plug can be a pain in the butt if it is over tightened, go easy on that. The same with the oil drain plug under the bike. Make sure you use a pick or something to get all the "stuff" out of before you try to remove. It is also a good idea to have some spare drain plug "o-rings" on hand.

There is 1 pedal adjustment screw, and then you have the clevis adjustment. I'd play with both of them a bit to get the feel you want. I'd also take off the solid rotor as well. Go.Fasters can get you a replacement.

Enjoy...
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 04-03-2010, 09:48 PM

Awesome! Thanks for all the tips guys, You Rock!

I will do a oil change this week and order up a few parts I need such as the kickstart seal and a couple new air filters. Also need a new chain roller etc.

I'm going to keep the Messico Pipe for now. Its in good shape and I don't have the extra cash to go buying different pipes. I'm just trying to get the bike in the best running state and add the needed parts to make it comfortable and reliable for loooong rides in the boonies.

I gotta save my money for a up comming year long motorcycle trip to South America! My soon to be wife and I are going to be ridding my KTM 990 from home all the way to Terra Del Fuego. We have been planning this trip for the past couple years and can't wait to go. The best part is I get to quit my misserable job!

Quote:
The rear brake problem is likely related to fouled brake pads. I'd change the disk and the pads and see if that does it. You don't want a solid rotor in California anyway. While you're at it, bleed the system and get some fresh DOT in there. That solid rotor has likely sent some serious heat into the system.

The Messico pipe is the stock pipe from that era. It was fine. Unless it's damaged, I'd run it. I've heard that they are delicate, but I've had two different bikes with it on there and can't remember ever damaging, or even denting one. The FMF is probably the most common, least expensive replacement, but frankly I don't think it matters much. The old Doma was very nice, but very expensive. That Messico should be great, put it out of your mind unless it needs to be replaced because of damage.

Sag: Lots of guys run 110mm of sag on the older Gassers because the rear was a tad high. A set of LTR pull rods puts it in the right spot so you can run 100mm.

Oil: No filter, correct, it's just transmission oil, no real need for a filter. A two stroke gets all it's engine lubrication from that 32:1 fuel/oil ratio. The transmission takes about 1 quart. You can overfill most any two stroke transmission by 25% and be fine. I frankly don't know the capacity, but I've been dumping an entire quart in the tranny of each of my gassers since 1999. The sight glass is just there to make sure you have oil, and look at it's condition. I don't think it's a level, at least I think someone once said that, perhaps the dealer I first bought my initial bike from. Don't know. Just dump a quart in. Do yourself a favor and get a tiny funnel, or a hose into the bottom of a funnel to fill your oil. The single biggest flaw of all Gas Gas bikes is that stupid tiny little oil filler.

Kicker seal: Easy fix. Drain coolant. Take the kicker and brake pedal off. Lay the bike on it's left side. Remove radiator hose to water pump. Use 5mm allen wrench on a socket or speed wrench and pull all of the screws out of the outside of the clutch cover. Not the little clutch cover, but the case half sized clutch cover. Remove the side cover and poke the seal out. Press new seal in and reverse process. Don't forget about your return spring on the brake pedal, or the coolant in the radiators.

WOW lots of good stuff Roostafish, Thanks soo much!

Rick, Thanks for the pipe and all the other info about my Gasser. Sure is nice to speak to someone that personally knows MY bike!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:22 AM

Default One more question

When ridding the other day I was going up some very steep long climbs and on one(ok more than one) of the hills I messed up and stopped. When trying to get going again the clutch made some strange noises as I was feathering it. Sounded like a metal bearing was shuddering but was not very loud. I didn't feel any strange vibrations. Clutch still felt normal. This happened a couple times and only on crazy steep hills when I was really abusing the clutch at lower(ish) RPM's. The rest of the time the clutch performed and felt normal. I pulled the clutch cover off and removed some of the plates and all looked normal.. the clutch plates and basket look new!

Any idea's?

Old 04-04-2010, 10:08 AM

911....You better post you trip on ADV Rider....as I am a HUGE fan of that site and and spend many nights up late reading threads.....call me an inmate...with no way out...I am looking for some way to get me a ADV bike. BMW 650 or a used 800?? That is an other story!

Your clutch....is the same clutch that is used in the 300's and 250's it can handle just about anything you throw at it. Mine does the same thing! It "barks" at me....most of the time, it reminds me to down shift one gear and try again. I very seldom use first gear, as I always start off in second, and on a very steep incline or stuck in a real rocky area, where I am "working the the lever" it will "churp or bark". My OEM clutch pack did the same thing and so does the Barnett clutch pack....it "barks"! So, to me it's "normal" since I've NEVER had clutch problems, except for slight "drag", but I've lived with this for years now.

Enjoy!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 04-05-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
911....You better post you trip on ADV Rider....as I am a HUGE fan of that site and and spend many nights up late reading threads.....call me an inmate...with no way out...I am looking for some way to get me a ADV bike. BMW 650 or a used 800?? That is an other story!
We are going to have a friend build a website for us to post pic's and keep in touch with everyone. Not sure if we will do a ADV thread or not. Its a lot of work and I'm not much of a writer. I will post a link when ever we have one.

Quote:
Your clutch....is the same clutch that is used in the 300's and 250's it can handle just about anything you throw at it. Mine does the same thing! It "barks" at me....most of the time, it reminds me to down shift one gear and try again. I very seldom use first gear, as I always start off in second, and on a very steep incline or stuck in a real rocky area, where I am "working the the lever" it will "churp or bark". My OEM clutch pack did the same thing and so does the Barnett clutch pack....it "barks"! So, to me it's "normal" since I've NEVER had clutch problems, except for slight "drag", but I've lived with this for years now.
Yes thats exactly what my clutch does.. Barks like a dog! None of my other bikes do that but they are not Spanish .. Nice to know its normal and I will not worry about it anymore. Thanks!