Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:43 PM

I have the pin (it's just not pictured). The swing arm is $27 (amazing markup for a little piece of metal). Doing it this way won't save me much money. Problem was, Scotts wasn't particularly quick at returning my queries.

I took the bike out for an hour ride around a nearby riding area. Lots of decomposed granite (our soil of choice here in north Phoenix), some whooped out jeep trails, a little sand wash, and some single track.

First impressions on the bike. Very balanced. The bike made me want to goof around and play. Those trials tires make hill climbs a piece of cake. However, in hard turns I could feel them scootching a bit as I slid around. They also didn't brake as well. I would lock up the front and rear and could barely tell. In sand, the rear hooked up something like a well-worn knobby. Not horrible, just not optimal. Turning in sand was okay.

After my ride I noted that the trials tires were very warm. The cracks that continue to form at the base of the knubblits make we wonder how well they'll hold up. My first race is in two weeks. Plenty of time to put a Maxxis IT in the back and a Metzler MC4 in front.

The motor doesn't have gobs of low-end torque (I didn't think the GG 300 did either, for a 300, anyway). Similar to the KTM 250 in that regard. I hope that it has enough oomph to lift the front tire at lower speeds without clutching (even my KDX could do that). At mid speeds that front tire is skimming over the ground and begging to be lofted.

Even though this bike has a 50T sprocket, it still seems to be geared a little high for me. I can't imagine what the 48T was like. Does anyone have experience with a 51 or 52T sprocket?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:56 AM

Gear it 13/51 , or even 52 if you don't need the top speed. I run 13/52 here for the low speed climbs and can still hit over 70 on the road easy. If you have the Gnarly pipe, or set the bike up for more low end, 13/51 works good. I can wheelie over a log in third at low speed with a twist and slight yank on the bars.

The motor is capable of plenty of low end torque if you want more. Start with jetting.

I'd go with a knobby up front and keep the trials tire for your technical rocky rides. Knobby rear for sand or when traction is good. Get a spare wheel, makes life easy. The knob base cracking looks scary to the first time trials tire user but beleive me it stops.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:01 AM

I run a 13/51 sprocket combo for the southern Ohio woods. It is about perfect for everything from singletrack to wide open roads. I sometimes wish I had a 52 for the real tight stuff. If I were a little faster, I prolly would not think that though. You will have no problem lofting the front with a 51 tooth. I would think it would do it with a 50 too.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Rick, contact BRP as they are alot better to deal with than Scotts, plus the Scotts damper they sell has the large knob. Isnt there anyone local to deal with ? You will have to experiment with gearing, we run stock 13/48 or 13/46 depending on where and who it is.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 AM

I certainly would like to get a set of used front/rear DID DirtStars (complete with sprockets and rotors). Anybody gotz?

I still have time to prep the bike before the race, but I don't have a *lot* of time and don't want to leave myself hangin'.

Rick
Old 03-25-2008, 11:37 PM

My tank is only two-gallons. What kind of race range (single track) would I expect to get (all disclaimers apply)? I'm thinking I should get a desert tank while I'm at it (2.9 to 3.2).

Also, the air filter has a seam separated so I'd like to replace it (Moose). Where is the source for that? Go Fasters, etc?

Thanks,

Rick
Old 03-25-2008, 11:50 PM

Red face

You can hot glue that air filter. - Ken
Old 03-26-2008, 01:28 AM

I almost plugged in my hot glue gun tonite.

I use hot glue quite often but I've been known to mess things up with it.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:00 AM

Many filter options for pre '07. Honda CR, Kaw KX, pre '98 KTM, as well as the Twin Air and No-Toil filters. Should be able to get one anywhere in a pinch.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I've had guys get 50+ miles easy riding on stock tank and guys run out at 40 miles goin fast.