Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 PM

Aren't the GG,Husky and the KTM two strokes street legal in the USA?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binni View Post
Aren't the GG,Husky and the KTM two strokes street legal in the USA?
Here in the USA a large portion of the population still believe (as I do) in states having the right to make their own laws and fortunately that is the law of the land here but federal intrusion is increasing every day. Some states will let you register a 2smoke if it doesn't say "off road only" on the manufacturer's statement of origin. Some local registrar's offices where you get your license plate will go even further to check to see if your frame number is compliant with importation laws for street use. Most GasGas 2smokes are imported under the code for competition use only. Getting motorcycles approved for "importation" as street legal here in the USA is costly process for the importer and that has to be added to the cost of each bike. The cost I'm talking about is the bureaucratic cost not the cost of lights and a horn. Bureaucratic cost can be tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for each model. I may be high on these numbers but I've read that it would add $1000 - $2000 to the cost of each new bike based on the very small number of GasGas bikes sold in this country.