Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 PM

wouldn't the yami needle be the wrong choice for the type of performance you are after?

I think the sudco or suzuki needles would give more linear performance?

Old 05-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

I believe he's ordered one of each. Better to try a given setting and know where you stand with it than never try and never know..

But the N3xx needle is going to hit hard as well. Even the Suzi needles have some hit. Bit less violent in the mid range, but still a transition. Its the nature of the 250. It makes less power down low than a 300, and the same up top.. The difference is made up in the mid range!! BRAAAP If you try and jet the hit out too much it'll be too lean. Best bet is to tune it for power, and then add a G2 cammed throttle, fly wheel weight, or taller gearing to mellow the beast.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:03 PM

My brothers ec250 had virtually no hit and is completely linear. It's taken a lot of trial and error to jet the hit out of the 250, but it's possible.

With a 40 pilot and 170 main some have tried to say it's too lean, but if you live in the Northwest it's not too lean. Plug is perfect tan and he checks his top end after each season and everything looks perfect.

Again, jetting is very subjective. If you'd like to try his 250 Brad, just let me know and I'm sure we could arrange it. I might be able to bring it up to mcubbins.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I believe he's ordered one of each. Better to try a given setting and know where you stand with it than never try and never know..

But the N3xx needle is going to hit hard as well. Even the Suzi needles have some hit. Bit less violent in the mid range, but still a transition. Its the nature of the 250. It makes less power down low than a 300, and the same up top.. The difference is made up in the mid range!! BRAAAP If you try and jet the hit out too much it'll be too lean. Best bet is to tune it for power, and then add a G2 cammed throttle, fly wheel weight, or taller gearing to mellow the beast.
I've been testing a ton of jetting specs lately, and when combining the Yamaha N3xx needles with a #8 slide makes for very nice and smooth power from bottom to top. When you combine that #8 slide with the Suzuki NExx needles the power becomes super responsive off the bottom and into the middle. It may be a bit to responsive for an offroad bike. The best happy medium seemed to be using a Kawasaki N3xx needle with a #7 slide. Kawasaki's N3xx needles have a leaner 1st taper than Suzukis's NExx needles , but tapers 2 and 3 are exactly the same.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
Yes, I'm taking 2 of my boys up for the fun run on Saturday of the teepee. I have to work on Sunday. We'll have to hook up.
That's frickin' awesome man! We're going to be camped at the "far end" of the campground - past the area where all the toy haulers park (directly across from the kids practice loop) and on the creek. Edgy and his crew from the OMRA forum will be camped close too - we have a big group for the weekend

My guess is you won't have a problem finding us - we'll have 3 GGs up there, two of which are Six Days 200 versions

Back on the jetting side - that's great to hear about the 250. I was seriously concerned when I first rode his 250. That type of grunt would be awesome if you were log hopping all day...not so great for trying to navigate tight single track with giant trees on either side...LOL.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I only ordered the Yami needle to start - spending someone else's $$

rover...why didn't you add some input before this...LOL.

Given the success Russ' brother had with the CCK needle, I might suggest that way if the hit is still too hard with the Yami needle. I have no clue what the engine/carb differences are between the '03 and '09 - anyone have an idea? If it's apples to apples, then it's definitely worth giving that combo a try since we ride similar areas.

MJC - have you done any testing with the #7 slide and a Yami N3XX needle?

I'll report back when I'm able to mess with it this coming weekend. It won't be a great test as riding on our gravel road doesn't quite compare to the woods (lol), but at least it'll help.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post

Given the success Russ' brother had with the CCK needle, I might suggest that way if the hit is still too hard with the Yami needle.

MJC - have you done any testing with the #7 slide and a Yami N3XX needle?

Sure I have used a Yamaha's N3xx needles with the #7 slide. They do as most have mentioned. They have a pretty hard hit when transitioning into the midrange when compared to the Suzuki needles. The Kawasaki N3xx needles are kind of in between the hard hitting Yamaha needles and the smooth Suzuki needles. They have really good response down low. All of this is with a #7 slide. Things change when using a #8 slide.

I have also tried that CCK needle you mention above, and it is better than the stock jetting setup, and probably feels like the bike runs great. That is until you use some of the needles I mentioned or even the CEx series of single taper needles. Not to mention how much fuel the bike will use when using the CCK needle.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC View Post
The Kawasaki N3xx needles are kind of in between the hard hitting Yamaha needles and the smooth Suzuki needles. They have really good response down low. All of this is with a #7 slide.
Given this is my brother-in-law's first bike, I think smoother is going to be much better than a hit -even if it's gentler than the current N1EF needle in the bike. Based on that, I probably should have ordered the Zuk needle

Any input on which will give the most linear (ie smoothest) transition? Would the NEDG needle be the best or is there a different one in that series?

I can pick up the CCK needle for $6ish, so that's a no-brainer for testing too.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:02 PM

I've always had good luck with JD kits as well. I think they are pretty close. You get a smooth needle and aggressive needle with his kits.

If you don't mind the trial and error I think you can get spot on. Just takes patience.

I've tried Suzuki needles on my ktm and they work good. I've just found I can dial in and fine tune with Sudco needles for pretty cheap.

But, my bikes are a bit older ('04 and older).

We'll come look you up Brad. Maybe we could park over there for the day. We're coming up that morning and leaving after the Saturday event. Yellow gasser, Kx100 and kx85 for the boys.

Maybe edgy can sell us a KDX for my 15 year old whose about ready to move up to a full size bike
Old 05-21-2014, 04:00 PM

I'm the firfighter brother. Actually running 178 main, not 170. I swear by the CCK. Can lug all day in low gears like a XR600. Still has plenty of get-up-and-go when you want it with no wicked hit. Very manageable power delivery. I also have a 52T rear sprocket that was already on bike. I'm sure this helps too. Did the RB head mod this year. Now even better. More crisp and runs "cleaner". Plug nice color with very little spooge. Needle is cheaper than throttle cams, flywheel weights, and other expensive ad-ons. Makes the bike very fun and easy to ride.
1974 XL125