Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 PM

If you understand the engineering of the compensation system it is absolutely fair. Thats the magic. Lectrons are not compensated. Yes they may have a good range but compensated no. Thats why people are screwing around with different metering rods. All the APT billets out there have the same metering rod.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 PM

Well i've run both carbs and YES smart carb is by far a better carb.
As the Lectron is better than the stocker the smart carb is that much better.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:10 PM

I don't believe you have to be an engineer to understand the altitude compensation but if you are listening to what a lot if not most are trying to achieve the lectron does this very well. I have not been screwing around with multiple rods as you suggest as have many others that received there carb dynoed and tuned to them also have. Altitude compensation I have had no problems with thus far in a 3000ft range. I will have a smart carb when they work it out and then ill make and informed decision as to which one is better based off of real world testing on my bike!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 PM

My 1983 RM250 needs a carb regaurdless, the stock carb is knackered...and an ebay replacement just has nightmare writen all over it. I'm not spending $100 + shipping on a used carb. Only to find its not 100% anyway.

Lectron makes sense for the old girl, it wont see elevation changes as I'll be running it at 1 or possibly 2 tracks a year. On a plus note the Lectron was available in 1983 so its vintage ready lol.....yes I know there have been updates on the Lectron since the good old days but it still looks nearly the same
Nephew = 2002 CR125
Old 05-23-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I did..

After the first set back there was zero chance I was going to wait around another 6 months. It was immediately clear that the options were money back refund, or upgrade. I know a lot of people will be disappointed and realistically, when spending $800 on a product, $50 is here or there.

I expect a large shift to Lectron ahead, for those who were determined to jump on this band wagon, and from experience I doubt anyone would be disappointed with what the Lectron provides, consider it actually does provide (ie you can order it, receive it, put it in your bike, and be using it).

6 months down the track APT might be in a better place, and I hope they are. Lectron may have also received more feedback, implemented a few new tricks, and also be a better revision of what is already a solid product.
Jake did you end up ordering the billet??
Old 05-23-2013, 07:39 PM

I'm talking about different rods for different applications, displacements, not a selection to tune with. Sure its fine for most, and if your bike is in the range of signal that the rod likes it should be perfect.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambo-trev View Post
I don't think that is accurate or fair to say that the lectron is a lesser product due to one companies claims without a direct comparison in controlled conditions.
I agree, but so far from those who have owned both have reported that the SC is a bt better. In saying that, the APT offers much finer tuning, and external tuning of the rod length. The Lectron only offers 1/4 turns and requires the cap removed to do so. I've noticed once the Lectron is dialled in its solid across all environments. I'd just like to be able to tune it to 1/8th of a turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
If you understand the engineering of the compensation system it is absolutely fair. Thats the magic. Lectrons are not compensated. Yes they may have a good range but compensated no. Thats why people are screwing around with different metering rods. All the APT billets out there have the same metering rod.
Thats the theory behind it all, but is there enough evidence to back this up yet? I've noticed the lack of compensation in the Lectron in regards to engine load. IE slow pace low loads it does feel a bit rich.. Hard running in high loads it can start to feel a touch lean. I'm not sold that the SmartCarb draw as required as well as they claim. I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I'm talking about different rods for different applications, displacements, not a selection to tune with. Sure its fine for most, and if your bike is in the range of signal that the rod likes it should be perfect.
That applies the same with APT. It might not be so publicly advertised but I know of at minimum 2 people who have needed to use alternate metering rods to achieve the goal. I actually have 2 x metering rods coming from APT for the off chance that their recommendation doesn't work as well as expected.

So to answer your question Trev, I have the billet in the mail. It might even be at the post office now. I hope it exceeds my expecations.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:15 PM

Me too! I would have had the billet if they would have returned my phone call just a little quicker. I hope it's a real step above for the cost of the billet.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 PM

I had a smart carb on my husky 165 set up at 40F and 1000ft alt and rode it in Moab at 75F up to 10000FT with out changing anything.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 PM

That's what I'm talking about. If the basic metering rod carb design (Lectron) that has been around for years was good enough, why would APT be going through this complex casting design? If they wanted to make $ you would think that they would put some polish on the old Lectron design and call It a day right? Fact is it is different and it does work. Billets proved that. What you should understand here is this is not just about bikes, its ultimately about an alternative to closed loop EFI, a simpler, cheaper alternative. This is the real mission, what your witnessing now are just baby steps.

As far as the rods, every system has a range of operation, where it can self calibrate. What they are simply doing is introducing feedback in the form of fuel pressure modulation (in the float bowl) to extend that range, but it still has limitations like any system. Andoman here got the wrong rod by mistake( for a 125cc road race bike) but was still able to tune it pretty well, just not in the normal range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD