Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:09 AM

Default Wot!!!

Went out yesterday for another ride. This is addicting!

First 2 miles was doing good. Trails a bit slick from rain and leaf cover, but was still able to stay in control. Until BAM! Hit a root that I didn't see and grab a hand full of throttle, it stuck! Before I could do anything the bike shot to the left and went up a 3 foot embankment then threw me about 20 feet down the trail on my face/belly! I'm so glad I spent the money on the gear!

Get the bike stood back up and shut the gas off. Leaned against a tree and started to see what in the world happened to my throttle.

Started to unscrew the cap where the slide goes into the carb. "Click" it opened back up and moved as it should. But upon more inspection when the throttle is turn to 100%, I can hear it click and gets stuck open.

I loosened the cap and it stopped that from happening. So now I am wondering if I am missing a seal or rubber o-ring that goes in the throttle cap on the carb?

Either way, I screwed it back on and rode for another 25 miles without any issues. Was just a bit more cautious with the throttle and picking my lines better.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
Started to unscrew the cap where the slide goes into the carb. "Click" it opened back up and moved as it should. But upon more inspection when the throttle is turn to 100%, I can hear it click and gets stuck open.
Yikes - that's no good

You might have already done this, but check to make sure the throttle tube isn't getting snagged on something too.

I'd pull the slide out and make sure the plastic deal (not sure what it's called) with a notch is fitted correctly - believe this should keep the throttle cable from getting stuck if it's WFO. Make sure the spring still has resistance too and that it's all connected correctly with the needle.

I'd also check into getting the Motion Pro throttle cable if it's available for your year.

Glad you're ok and the bike didn't seize or have any piston/cylinder damage.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post
Yikes - that's no good

You might have already done this, but check to make sure the throttle tube isn't getting snagged on something too.

I'd pull the slide out and make sure the plastic deal (not sure what it's called) with a notch is fitted correctly - believe this should keep the throttle cable from getting stuck if it's WFO. Make sure the spring still has resistance too and that it's all connected correctly with the needle.

I'd also check into getting the Motion Pro throttle cable if it's available for your year.

Glad you're ok and the bike didn't seize or have any piston/cylinder damage.
I checked the spring and white plastic that spring sits on while on the trail. It all seems to be fine.

Do you know if there is an gasket or o-ring that goes under the cap and sits between the carb and cap when screwed down? When I had the cap loosened 1/8 turn the throttle doesn't catch, but when hand tightened it catches. Weird!
Old 11-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
Do you know if there is an gasket or o-ring that goes under the cap and sits between the carb and cap when screwed down? When I had the cap loosened 1/8 turn the throttle doesn't catch, but when hand tightened it catches. Weird!
That is odd. I don't know if there's a gasket/o-ring between the screw-top and the carb body, would have to check on mine (imagine there would be given its importance, though I don't recall seeing one during the many times I've had mine off to mess with jetting).

Post a thread in the intake/carb sub-forum and see if one of the guys might have some insight - way more experience peeps out there than me and they might have seen this or know what the problem is.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:52 PM

On the screw top Keihin PWK carb there is indeed a gasket in the screw top. It comes in a rebuild kit. I believe this kit will work for you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEIHIN-CARBU...xVBdxG&vxp=mtr
Old 11-03-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
On the screw top Keihin PWK carb there is indeed a gasket in the screw top. It comes in a rebuild kit. I believe this kit will work for you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEIHIN-CARBU...xVBdxG&vxp=mtr
Man, hate to pay $40 for one gasket. Wonder if I can make one?

Or just suck it up and get the kit and redo all in the carb while at it?
Old 11-03-2015, 02:11 PM

Went ahead and ordered it. Might as well just change it all and start fresh after all I changed the needles and the bowl screws are crappy. Fresh springs and float needle will be nice too.

Thanks