Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:34 PM

I know my '05 DE300 is very different in terms of handling than my previous 03' EC250. I believe there was a change between those years, and yes, the new subframe came in '07.

I have heard the KTM is lighter than the Gasgas 200 and that does play a big role in the decision.

I had also heard the smaller carb had made a big significance in the power delivery of the KTM200.

You know Kawisaki did that with the KDX's. The 220 has a smaller carb than the 200 which really added to the smooth, low end power delivery on those bikes.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 PM

I'll pipe in ....
I have an 08 husky cr 125 that was bored out to 144 by eric gore. I had him set it up for more low to mid power and to run on pump gas. Its a great little bike with plenty of grunt for a motor that size. My main gripe is husky's are too damn tall. I ride in New England and that means lots of nasty technical terrain. that spends most of its time off the pipe and is easy to ride.

My buddy has an 08 ktm 200. This is a very nice bike. motor is a total pussy cat and I have no problems with the pds. Like noobi I find the frame to be fat down at the pegs. I had every intention of getting a 12 ktm 200 but Fury was fire saling his 11 250 6 days so I got that. The 144 will go down the road once I get a plate on the 250. I have noticed that the 12 ktm is taller than the 08 to 11.

I got a good test ride on an 09 gasser 200 last year. I did not really dig the bike but it wasn't set up right for the conditions. With some set up i bet it would have been a lot nicer ... that said the 08 ktm rocked right form the start. Very nice motor and power delivery on the ktm.

Personally I think you could throw a blanket over all three bikes. Riding style and taste plus what you can get the best deal on would be a safe way to go.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
My main gripe is husky's are too damn tall. I ride in New England and that means lots of nasty technical terrain.
When I had my 08 Husky 125 that's the first thing I noticed. Same frame as it's WR brothers. (Tall) It wasn't a bad thing but sometimes when riding the nasty stuff even being 6 ft. just wasn't enough.
That and finding it under powered down low until you hit the powerband. I just could not get use to.
My Gasser might have a smaller frame and a few more CC's but I tell ya it's the best I've riding of any bike.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 09-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Thanks for all of the input.

Tough decision. I think I'm going to look at a few bikes with my son, let him sit on them, hopefully take them for a spin, before we make the desision.

I am leaning toward the KTM200 just because they are easy to find and seem pretty well set up to begin with.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:27 AM

you won't regret it. I raced an 09 KTM 200 last year. Awesome forks, nice and light package. Get the squish tightened up with a head mod and drop the x-dimension down for more bottom end. The powervalve is adjustable and really makes a difference. One of my favorite bikes!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:57 AM

Default my humble .02

I have ridden most of the bikes you mentioned in this post except the husky.

i have owned an 01 kdx200, an 08 ktm 200, many ktm 250's, a 10'gg300 and now an 11' gg200 and an 08 yz125.

i thought the kdx was a great bike, however, old, tall and heavy, it could get the job done.

for a 135 lb kid who is strong and likely to get bigger the gg200 would be a nice bike. Heavier than the ktm, it needs to be set up properly, just like all bikes. my ktm had head and port work before I sold it and it was a great bike. now owning the gg i miss the power of the ktm and have since taken the cylinder and head off to get some work done....bring on some low end power! it is a very nice handling bike,

the yz125 is a great bike also, this is one of my all time favorite bikes period. it is going to become a 144 in short time as the cylinder was just taken off. light and nimble with tons of power. it just needs suspension tuning, gearing, guards and an 18"!!!!

ktm 150xc would be a nice bike to look at also!

enjoy the ride