Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 02-22-2015, 05:14 AM

that looks like a good place, havent come across them.
tools ordered.....

Old 02-25-2015, 03:17 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Funny! Your feedback matches mine to a tee.

What rate springs do you have up front? I have found these are a bit firmer than my TTX carts, and Marzocchis. But they do have .46kg/mm springs and 22Nm ICS springs. I'm used to the feedback and would say even on first revalve they're as good as anything else I've ridden. I have a few issues with the front wanting to climb out of rocky downhill ruts, but everywhere else was pretty good. As you have said, its highlighted what could be improved at the back end.

PS. I did 90+ km of mixed terrain. Was stinking hot and humid though so hard to tell what was poor fitness and technique on my part and what the fork could have done better. Nothing scary though, no spikes, and no deflection, at any pace from 1st gear to 6th.
Not sure what the springs are, (will try to get a full build spec from Steve for my info) but know the idea was to go for heavier main springs with lighter valving, and a lighter ICS spring

Will try to play around with clickers this weekend - especially on the rear. I have not serviced the rear in about 100hrs so it is due for one, but would like to know before then if i need to adjust the valving
Old 02-26-2015, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Interested to hear Matt!

Put another 100kms on them today. Most focus aimed at the rear end and I think I've got it working possibly the best it has yet.

With the fork offset there is a noticably different feeling at the bars though. I'm not sure if its a good/bad thing. Its more stable, but also heavier and feels like there is more weight on the front wheel. In the real twistys it feels like it takes a bit more effort/lean to get the bike where you want it (but this could also be due to the faster rebound on the back keeping the bike up in the stroke too).

Forks I tried a few settings, and think I've settled on some that work across a range of terrain. Think a touch less spring may make a good fork even better.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Glad to hear the Australian development arm is in full swing.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 03-02-2015, 05:10 AM

well what do you know, i just ran into a compleate 08 mod yzf250. interesting to note is that the forks between the 07 and 08 are different. the castings at the bottom of the tubes are quite different and the brake bracket is a different size. off set (lug size?) appears the same but yet to measure it up.... i might end up with two gassers with kyb front ends...
got all the bits i need now to go and do some serious testing.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:42 PM

Any more seat time on this project Jake? I'm sittn here a bit busted with some extra parts screwing a bone together and continplating when I can work on the bike stripping the forks down so they are sorted for when I can next ride. Don't know if that will be 2 months or end of year.
Are you going to go down on spring rate a touch? My 06 yz forks don't seem to use full travel with my 80kg, but I'm not sure how much is unusable in fork area.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
Old 05-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about your new hardware mate!

I haven't put in a whole lot of seat time (or tinker time even). I'm still chasing that bloody regulator issue to a certain extent as my primary fix it.

Forks I have gone to 1x.44kg/mm and 1x.46kg/mm for around .45kg/mm overall. I have not tested the springs, just going by rated weights so could be some variation there.

I made some changed from my original stacks. They are feeling very plush now. Great in the rocks, roots, techy stuff, but a bit divey under brakes, and spike a touch on faster square edges. Not scary, but just a tad more room for improvement.

I think I'm going to remove the crossover and just run a straight tapered stack and see how it performs. Tweaked the rebound stack a while back and happy with those results too!

Shock still needs a little tweak. It feels too firm to me, but the comp stack is light. Rebound seems ok, but I may try and adjust this some more before chasing comp.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:04 PM

Bump!

Keen to see if there is an update. Like before you get itchy fingers & buy another bike
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
Old 06-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Haven't touched the forks since the last iteration. They aren't perfect, but they're far from bad. Feel good pretty much everywhere except for sharp hits in faster sections where they give a bit too much feedback. Not 100% sure what I'll do to try and address this yet. Really good for single track, and also handles woops well too.

Shock stack was revised to increase LSR with the intent of running the clicker open further to assist free bleed on the comp circuit. Worked a treat and the bike is feeling really nicely balanced. Sits up high, is initially plush, but doesn't blow through or bottom.

So it's good all round! Will tweak something on the forks next service.. Maybe a touch less HSC or a bee's dick more float, or maybe I'll just drop the crossover shim. It'll be minor changes as I don't want to stray too far from where I am now.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:50 AM

Sounds pretty good. I'm just tired of feeling beat up, my elbow gives me greif and the zokes just hammered you on rough terrain. The SSS are better but still feel hard in their yz format but I really don't have a clue where to go next.

I have a mate with all the tools as he's setting up bussiness to do road stuff but he's a year in and road only experience.
Plate is giving too much gyp to ride, probably till its out end of year so I have time.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki