Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysktms View Post
Some little adjustments and WOW does this thing track and turn, which is the weirdest thing. When you try to move it around in the garage it take a couple of movements to turn around compare to the KTM. Overall very happy with this
change.
It's funny that you mention that. This last summer, when working on my new 4 mile personal super tight woods trail, I noticed that when I was pushing the bike (manually), it doesn't turn worth a damn. (Just as you reported)
Under it's own power, this bike will cut the tight trees better than my wife's little TTR125LE. (I rode them both, back to back, on consecutive laps of the trail.) It rocks in the tight woods.

I then got to looking at it, compared to my '99 200, my 2004 300, and my son Gabe's '00 250. The forks on the 2011 seem to be at a lot different angle than the older Gassers; the rake is less steep, giving it the longer foot powered turning radius.

Under power, though... well watch this video of my son Joshua riding it through some very tight parts of my new trail (Mom's Trail).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IunH...MLbR38ViyGur4w
note: It was only his second time through the trail and didn't always follow the exact line

I hope that you are still enjoying your GasGas.

Good Riding,
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/

Old 05-13-2015, 08:37 PM

Default Hello

I have been lurking around on your forum.... finally signed up. I am seriously considering selling my KTM and buying a new GasGas. Except for the relative obscurity of these bikes and perhaps less than optimal resale, I am otherwise very impressed.
My local dealer sells these as well as KTM. Although my 350 is a great bike, and there is nothing wrong with it, I am fearing the added maintenance costs. I am racking up the hours and now longing for the simplicity of a two stroke.
I notice the forum members have a broad range age wise of bikes. I take that as a good sign, durability?
The model I am considering seems to be well sorted compared to prior years. I see the kickstand is problematic, and I read somewhere the turning radius is not so great?
I currently run a series that includes a few enduro's and hare scrambles, some of which include parts of mx tracks.
I am more interested in challenging terrain than clipping along at 60+
I am 50 and hope to keep at this for as long as possible. Any advice feedback is welcomed
Old 05-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Welcome. I own two. Great bikes. Very dependable. Everytime I analyze purchasing another brand, I make the same conclusion ... why.
They out turn, out climb, loaded with top shelf components and rock solid dependable. They are a great value and you can rest assured, very competitive.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Greetings.

I just flipped over to 50.

The turning radius on the '15 is not a problem.
No issues with my kick stand. The auto retract can be disabled by bending the return spring tab.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:30 PM

Default thanks for the feedback

Thanks for info.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzsuzuki View Post
I have been lurking around on your forum.... finally signed up. I am seriously considering selling my KTM and buying a new GasGas. Except for the relative obscurity of these bikes and perhaps less than optimal resale, I am otherwise very impressed.
My local dealer sells these as well as KTM. Although my 350 is a great bike, and there is nothing wrong with it, I am fearing the added maintenance costs. I am racking up the hours and now longing for the simplicity of a two stroke.
I notice the forum members have a broad range age wise of bikes. I take that as a good sign, durability?
The model I am considering seems to be well sorted compared to prior years. I see the kickstand is problematic, and I read somewhere the turning radius is not so great?
I currently run a series that includes a few enduro's and hare scrambles, some of which include parts of mx tracks.
I am 50 and hope to keep at this for as long as possible. Any advice feedback is welcomed
Hello John and welcome aboard (we hope ) Here you will find a pretty hard core group of guys who love the brand and can offer you allot good information, right from the trail so to speak. Additionally, your local dealer is a pretty savvy off road guy himself, so you should be covered when asking for Gas Gas advise! Other than that, I'm totally confident that once you ride the Gas Gas, you will know you made the right decision. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzsuzuki View Post
The crappier the terrain the better these bikes work. I just took a 1st at Campwood on-board mine. I spoke to Geoff yesterday and he is giving a pretty cool contingency package along with the Gasser's.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
The crappier the terrain the better these bikes work. I just took a 1st at Campwood on-board mine. I spoke to Geoff yesterday and he is giving a pretty cool contingency package along with the Gasser's.
Yes I saw that congratulations! I was out to talk to Geoff today and get up close look. I didn't know that contingency would be in play for this coming season, hope it is.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
Hello John and welcome aboard (we hope ) Here you will find a pretty hard core group of guys who love the brand and can offer you allot good information, right from the trail so to speak. Additionally, your local dealer is a pretty savvy off road guy himself, so you should be covered when asking for Gas Gas advise! Other than that, I'm totally confident that once you ride the Gas Gas, you will know you made the right decision. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks for the encouraging words Rod. One thing I am not clear on is the function of the floating piston on the fork?
Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 PM

Thumbs up

I love everything about my 2011 except for the electric starter design.

The turning radius isn't a problem, unless I am pushing the bike in really tight woods. If the engine is running, it out turns my wife's TTR125 in the tight woods.
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/