Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Pictures & Videos

Old 11-06-2018, 04:21 AM

Default Romaniacs 2019 hard enduro

Hi all,
I was just wondering if any one has ever done this event (Red Bull Romaniacs) and if there is any golden info you could pass on to me
I have done a few uk hard enduro's, but this is a little bit more extreme so was after getting some bike prep/food prep/training advise from you helpful folk.
Also if you can get spare parts there if needed??? I will take leavers and stuff like that just in case
p.s its our first time so we have entered the lowest class to get a feel for it.....
cant wait, very excited

Old 11-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck. Sounds like fun.

There are tour groups that do rides at the Romaniacs.
http://endurotrips.ro/tours/#Tour-5091
Old 11-06-2018, 08:34 AM

There are a number of regulars on the UK KTM forum who do Romaniacs. Also, Eurotek KTM in Ripon, N Yorkshire take about 35 riders every year. They will know all you need. Speak to the boss, Mark Jackson.

Don't underestimate it. It's fun but relentless and you will need to be fit.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudolfHucker View Post
There are a number of regulars on the UK KTM forum who do Romaniacs. Also, Eurotek KTM in Ripon, N Yorkshire take about 35 riders every year. They will know all you need. Speak to the boss, Mark Jackson.

Don't underestimate it. It's fun but relentless and you will need to be fit.
thank you for the advice regarding Eurotec I will give them a bell.
I have started a gym program and are doing the winter extreme ones with fast eddy and raw enduro I think, so hopefully I will be on the fitish side for a 44year old hahah.
it should be a great experience
Old 11-06-2018, 04:32 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I have a buddy who did silver 2 years ago and have done the roof myself (only bronze but that was a good6-7 hours of riding each day)

As mentioned fitness is key - best if you are able to do bike specific fitness. a few 2 day events will also help you deal with that aspect of getting up early, riding the whole day, followed by bike servicing and then doing it again the next day (bonus if you only have to do the riding and have a good second crew). This type of training will also help you get to grips with what you are happy eating mid ride and how best to recover for the next day.
Long days in the saddle will also help you know what kit is comfy and what is not, do you need underwear (tights for chafe etc), what needs taping and the best way to do it. It also helps you know how you react when you are exhausted and how empty the tank can really go (research navy seals 40% rule)

Nutrition is second key - cant ride on an empty stomach. I did a fair amount of reasearch on this and high-5 does a 4:1 energy drink that i used (they also have some good info if you want to back it up with science). basically when you are exercising for extended periods of time you need a high protein drink to fuel your muscles, combined with some caffeine as this helps to absorb what you are taking in to get digested and into your body (high5 do energy sachets with caffeine and some with out, i used both to give me a boost every now and again and especially after a pit stop that involved eating). when your body is highly stressed it starts to shut down unnecessary parts of the body - like your digestive system - this is why you need the caffeine to give it a boost.
The 4:1 can also be used as a recovery drink at the end of the day - you need to be hydrated for the next day and your muscles need to recover when you sleep. You may also find that you want one bladder with energy/hydration drink and another litre or so of plain water (this is what i did, when it got real hot a sip of water was the refreshment i needed mentally and also to energy drinks can be pretty sweet and not refreshing)
A year or two ago I did 6 months of Banting diet and swore that if I ever did an extreme enduro event again I would do it on the Banting diet, but then you need to be really disciplined and it cheat (modern thought from the country cling world is that you should cheat while you are on the bike). You body then adjusts to ketosis so you start to burn rather than store fat. I never experienced much difference in energy levels but did notice that I never got hungry while out riding and so I believe it works.

Fatigue: you will be doing this for 4-5 days. try to get your body clock set to romanian time before you arrive there (taking into account that you will be getting up super early each morning). you want to be able to go to bed and sleep and be ready to eat breakfast when you wake up.
Muscle recovery is important too so as mentioned a good recovery drink is good, also need to rehydrate (with the salts, not just water - after a long sweaty day of riding a salt tablet will taste as good as a worthers original lol).
An ice bath is great for recovery (if you stay in it long enough). And if there is an option for a proper massage take it (not the ones with the smelly oils or a happy ending - you need that protein lol). Poor mans option is to sleep in full compression skins (sport tights and top that help circulation)

Then the last is Skills.
If you can do a training day with a pro (who knows how to teach) do it. When you are tired and reactions are slow it is nice to be able to break it down into manageable steps (weight the peg, blip the throttle and clutch etc) - you don't have the enery to be doing multiple attempts at an obstacle, stop, plan your attack and make it count.
You are not racing so think about your line first - it takes a lot of energy to pick a bike up from the bottom of one of those mountains. (i know for a fact that i finished the roof because i didn't have to pick my bike up - i had an 11 month old baby at home, combined with doing the fitness training and bike prep i was not as fit as i would have liked to have been). <PS some guys i know have included 100 bike pick ups and put downs into their weekly training schedule>
Then there is also romaniacs specific training (cant help too much here) believe there is a lot of pivot turns, riding across a slope, and riding over logs. (but everyone i know who has done it says the riding is awesome!!)
Another tip for those super long climbs is to set small goals, and preferably make it a point that is easy to start from. Don't worry about the top of the climb, just worry about the next 20m you will be surprised how you still get to the top!

All the best, i'm suuuuuuper jealous!!

Last edited by swazi_matt; 11-06-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:20 AM

Thumbs up

swazi_matt, thanks that's just the info I was after, we are doing a few training sessions with a top trials guy and a extream endure guy, we have been practicing the pivot turns and blip techniques for logs so that's going well.
the 40% rule I will google in a mo and take a look.
I am hoping it will be a trip I never forget, and if all goes well I may even go back in next class up.
I will keep u updated with it all as the training progresses.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:58 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

This is what I read and thought it made a lot of sense:

In performance psychology, there is a concept known as “implementation intentions,” which is a strategy to plan for the worst — so you can perform your best.
Example: Often, endurance athletes have to pre-plan the conditions in which they will quit an event. If they don’t predetermine when they will stop, they will stop premature. Navy Seals have the 40% rule, which means you usually hit mental resistance at about 40% of your capacity — and that’s where most people quit.
If you have an implementation intention in place, you can overcome the tendency to stop when something starts becoming uncomfortable or difficult.
At the most basic level — an implementation intention is a pre-planned response to a specific obstacle.

What makes this idea so powerful is that — in addition to visualizing the achievement of a goal, you’re also visualizing the process. You’re thinking of all the ways it could go wrong. And you have a simple and triggered response to overcome any obstacle.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

I have a couple riding mates (who tend to highlight my inabilities and laugh when I cry) who have done it a few times now.

Leading up they ride and they ride a lot. Like both days, every weekend, and during the week when they can. They would do a lot of free riding as well. Negotiating new terrain and actually having to ride vs cruising on auto pilot around the well worn trails.

Speaking with them, one of the keys (regardless of class) is to make allies. Some sections are bs hard, and not all sections allow external assistance. Spending some time to help other racers, and in turn having them help you in certain sections can be the difference between getting through or not.

Seat time, seat time, seat time..

They competed in 2018.. all locals from up here in Silver Class, all finished.
JD - 11th
Howe - 21st
Dudley - 30th (first year competing)
Graham - 108th (might have been his first year doing silver)

If you have any specific questions yell out and I'll ask em.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:19 PM

What happened to McKenzie to finish 108th?

Go well for older fellas now!
Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 PM

yep TITS is key, but it sure does become expensive so hope you have that side sorted, don't want to start the race with a tired bike

(Time In The Saddle)