Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:06 AM

Default '14 EC300 Power valve not opening

Last trip (2 weeks ago) the valve was working fine, hitting very very strong.

Yesterday took the bike to the woods, and noticed it did not open anymore. The engine revs fine, and the torque is there (it can climb hills that i never knew i can conquer, yes it was a very nice ride, videos to follow in the right section).

So all in all, the engine is working fine no rattles or anything and the power and torque are there. What can it be ?

Didn't had the time to open the PV cover to look inside, will do in the next following days. Any info till then would be very appreciated since i don't have mechanical knowledge.

p.s. the bike is '14 model with 67-68 hours on the clock
p.s.s. since i'm a beginner i don't really mind the PV not opening since the torque is there and to be honest i like it this way, however i would like to fix it not to damage anything else

Old 09-07-2015, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Remove the rhs power valve cover and have a look there first. Could be that the weld has broken on the pin for the actuator plate. Wouldn't be the first.

I had the valve stick open once. Bike sounded like a bag of bolts.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:39 AM

Thanks Jakobi.

Since i don't know what to look for i will post pictures once i get the time to open the cover.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Remove the rhs power valve cover and have a look there first. Could be that the weld has broken on the pin for the actuator plate. Wouldn't be the first.

I had the valve stick open once. Bike sounded like a bag of bolts.
What was the cause of that exactly? I was doing some pretty heavy riding over labour day weekend and I would use the same words to describe the sound mine was making. During the recent rebuild I had completely removed the heavily deposited carbon from the entire PV assembly.

It was louder than the usual powervalve rattle caused by side to side play. The bike had the washer mod done to the powervalve to reduce the side to side play.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Carbon buildup in my case coupled with a possible bad bearing. It would bind up and jag at wide open.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:58 PM

Alright i got the time to open the RHS cover.

1. Cover screws were very lightly tighten, with a bit of effort i could have opened them without any tool and using my own hands only.

2. It was all black inside, couldn't see anything. After a bit of cleanup without opening any screw i noticed the rod has some free play. Should i tighten it or leave it as is and continue with the cleaning ?

3. There was a bit of oil also in there, so i took the time to see the oil level and it's over the limit. The whole oil screen is covered in oil. Will drain it out even tough it only has 3 hours of use, and watch very closely not to pour too much.

4. Do i need to go in further ?

Here is the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuJqHtTPUzU

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:16 PM

looks ok.... are you sure it doesn't open?
Old 09-17-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabak View Post
looks ok.... are you sure it doesn't open?
Yes, very sure lol. It pulls like a 4 stroke, no hit anywhere. No loss of power tough, it just pulls and pulls.

I don't mind it being this way, since i'm a beginner in this sport. However i would like to fix it so that anything else doesn't break along the way or while out in the woods.

p.s. thanks for the reply, i will take the bike out for a ride tomorrow to test it out after i change the oil (it's too late today, and neighbours already hate me)
Old 09-17-2015, 02:36 PM

Beginner or not the bike must work as it should.

If the valve mechanism works fine, then I am afraid you will have to dig further to the governor and balls thingy. Take some time and study some threads here and some videos of how the power valve works.... take off the exhaust and see the valve while turning lightly the actuator plate.. do this with the bike on the side because by forcing the actuator plate you might dislodge a ball in the governor=part responsible of opening the valve with centrifugal force. If it doesn't stick and moves freely open the side case and check the governor... while there do what's in the videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmz9cij6MVY
and
https://vimeo.com/60409326
Old 09-17-2015, 02:58 PM

Those are definitely informative videos. Thanks!

Yes, the valve opens while moving the actuator plate. So i need to dig in deeper. I need an engine gasket set in order to open the clutch cover to have a look at the governor. Will try to see if they have some on stock tomorrow.