Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 12-15-2021, 03:38 PM

Default Alternative/cheap parts

As many of you know the 4 stroke GasGas bikes have problems with starting. I had problems with starting too and after getting tired of push starting I decided to do something about it.

I knew my starter clutch was slipping but even from ringspann it is quite expensive. I found a starter clutch with similar dimensions and teeth count on aliexpress. The part number for it is FWD331808BRB. Right now it is on ebay for ~8 EUR/USD. You will need to use your old starter clutch cage and put the teeth from this new starter clutch in there. The new spring is also a nice extra. The sprags are the same size and the amount is also correct. There are plenty of videos on youtube where you can see people rebuilding/replacing the spring on these and it was easy to make a working starter clutch. Just make sure the teeth go in the right way. In my case both the new and old starter clutch had arrows on them so it was easy.

Next I had a problem with my regulator/rectifier. You can read about the problem here: http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25728

I was not sure if my regulator/rectifier was the problem, so I decided to buy a cheap part from aliexpress in case it was not the problem after all. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...35c24c4dWr9Gdn

It looks identical to the one I had before. The plug is correct and it worked just as intended. My charging issues are now gone.

And last I decided to rebuild my starter. After taking it apart, the brushes were worn out. The commutator bar was very dirty. A brushplate from DRZ-400(they use the same Mitsuba SM-14 starter) was easy to find and only cost ~14 EUR. It was a perfect fit. In my case the bearing in the front of the starter was also worn out and needed to be replaced. The only place I could find one was on aliexpress again. This is the bearing you need: F-218335 HK13.5X19X12 13.5mm X 19mm X 12mm. You also need a new seal when replacing the bearing. The code on my seal was BC-1693-G NOK. 14x24X6mm. I just bought a seal with those dimensions from my local tractor store. I just used some sockets and a vise to press out the old bearing and press in the new one later.

After doing this my bike starts up with just a quick press of the starter button - even if the bike is cold and the temperature is 0c. It has never started like this before. I have pictures of the parts and I can upload them if anyone is interested.

Hopefully we can keep some of the older bikes on the road thanks to finding cheaper and alternative ways for parts. Feel free to post your own findings here!

Old 12-16-2021, 01:26 PM

Well done...Pics would be useful.

I have also discovered that AliExpress can provide a cheap source of alternative parts. I have a "Kiehin" carb that only cost ?24 and solved all of my carb related issues.

I feel a bit guilty spending money in China but I really cannot afford a genuine new carb.....

Retired
EC 250 (2007)
UK

Tags
cheap, regulator rectifier, starter clutch