Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 PM

Default Clutch fluid change

I need someone to help point me in the right direction as to how to replace my clutch fluid. It was leaking up near the handle and I have that fixed (I think) but I lost a lot of fluid in the process. So I drained it but I can't seem to get it filled.
The bike is a 2005 ec250.

Last edited by Wellsy; 06-23-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Type of bike

Old 06-24-2008, 07:58 AM

What I do is get a large syringe (50cc) with a section of tubing on it. Fill with fluid and purge the air out, hold vertical and allow any bubbles to escape. Clean the fitting on the slave cyl of all debri. Loosen the slave cyl fittting and remove the slave, compress the piston with a small clamp so fluid purges air from the fitting. The newer bikes have no retaining ring so the slave piston can eject from the slave body, be carefull when you remove it. Connect the syringe tubing to the slave fitting without introducing air, and just purge all the fluid through slowly. You will need a second syringe to draw fluid from the master cyl resevoir. When the fluid is clean and bubble free tighten the slave fitting. Install the slave and slowly pump the lever as you adjust the fluid level in the master cyl.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the input GMP, I’ll give that a try tonight when I get home.
I was also wondering if the leak in between where the clutch hose connects to the reservoir is a common one and if there is anything I need to do to ensure it doesn’t leak once I get it back together. At angles it seems to leak – I think it must have a slight bend to it.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:23 PM

I have found that when bleeding air from the clutch the best way is to remove the clutch lever completly and use your finger on the plunger to ensure a full stroke or else you never seem to get all the air out.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM

Alright, this is turning into a nightmare.

The fitting on top of the banjo bolt was seized, so I took the fitting and the banjo bolt off of the slave cylinder. I was able to get the two apart, but now I'm having a hard time getting the banjo bolt hole to line up with the collar hole. Still have no compression in the clutch, even though I'm fairly certain the fluid change was successful. Does anyone have any tricks to line up these two holes? I marked the face of the bolt on the banjo bolt but it isn't exact.
Also - when I went to compress the slave cylinder it didn't move - I think it must have already been compressed, I hope it isn't seized.
Second problem is that the leak up at the reservoir still exists. My fear is that even if I get all this completed I'll just go full circle to the original problem. Is there something I need to do to that fitting that goes from the hydraulic clutch line to the reservoir? I was thinking of putting an o ring there.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Angry

I had a similar problem with fluid leaking from the master cylinder where the
hose connects. DNF'd the first enduro. Didn't find the leak right away, the level in the M.C. kept getting low.
I used a new copper sealing washer and tightened it way down. and I check the torque every ride......no more problem. (except for the rebuild kit I had to put in it last year when it started leaking out the plunger area) @#$%^

There ARE some special washers available ("Doughty" washers from UK)
that have neoprene sealing ring bonded to the inside of a metal washer.
Mcmaster Carr Supply has them, also Aircraft Spruce I think. I don't know
that neoprene is compatible with DOT 4 brake fluid, though........

The back-bleeding proceedure above should work! Good luck. There is an article on the AJP America website also, that talks about having
the plunger adjustment too far "out" and not letting the piston "gulp" in a new bit of fluid each time you squeeze the lever. Check it out.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:34 PM

Yep, the bleeding procedure worked! Problem now is that the leak is still there from the reservoir to the cable. Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:44 PM

Default Conclusion

OK, after this whole week has been spent on the bike I was stumped - there was a crack in the fitting that goes into the master cylinder under the other one so I couldn't see it. It finally broke all the way.
Ordered a new one today and learned a lot this week about the clutch and how it works. Definately worth the lesson, Thanks to everyone who helped me.
As I get older life gets smarter - if this would have went easy I wouldn't have learned as much.