Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Seriously contemplating switch.

Hey team. I have been riding Gas Gas since late 2003 and really have been a full supporter and advocate for the machines ever since. In that time I have went from a strong B rider to a A rider flirting with AA status. I have owned 1 EC 300 and 2 DE 300's and currently am still riding the later of the three. I am a 2 stroke guy and prefer the 300 cc displacement.

The machine I'm looking at converting to is "and no it's not orange" a Husqvarna wr 300.
I know all the reasons why it would make sense to make the switch. Things like new large scale dealer 15 miles from my house, another within 50 miles. Great rider support. Low bike price and very Good bike.

I guess what I'm looking for is the reasons I shouldn't make the change. I've thought of a few but wonder if I'm overlooking others.

What do you think?

Any input is appreciated.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!

Old 11-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Treat us with your list of Pro and Con.

I like the WR for this, I don't like it for this. I like the Gasser for this, I don't like it for that.

Are the ergos on the Husky suitable for you? How do you do on the Husky vs the Gasser?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:04 PM

I know how we all feel about rag reviews. but Dirt Rider (website) did a test on the WR300 and.......well go check it out http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/dir...300/index.html

They have a great race program here in D-36. If I was in the market for a new bike I would also concider the Husky WR line up. In my area both GasGas and Husky dealer support are lacking. I know that the Husky Talk Fourms are pretty weak, not much traffic of there.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 11-07-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVERUP View Post
Things like new large scale dealer 15 miles from my house, another within 50 miles. Great rider support. Low bike price and very Good bike.
Very good reasons indeed. I see no reason to not do it. Go for it. Close dealer support is great, especially if they're helping you out racing. Husqvarna is moving forward in the market, getting brand recognition in the magazines, more bikes showing up at races, etc... Frankly, I think all bikes are awfully good these days, I've just been bitten by the crazy good handling of the GG. At the end of the day though, racing costs lots of money, and I can ride anything about the same speed, so, I'd go for saving $2000 over being brand loyal.

Added bonus, our webmaster Jeff helped to set up a site like this for the Husky boys. Cafehusky.com. Great site. Lots of enthusiasm, just like here.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Last edited by roostafish; 11-07-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Beef.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:31 PM

have you been on one yet ....
suppose to be all top end. If you look at what the factory did to the gncc bike ... it was basically try and get the power more manageable for the technical stuff. there is a dude on cafe husky that believes that gas gas 300 is still the best bike in the tight and technical stuff. whats your terrain like??
Old 11-08-2009, 12:18 PM

To make my self clear on this, I am early in this thought process and only entertaining this idea. I am certainly very comfortable with Gas Gas and their future.

Skid jackson, no I have not rode the Husky 300 yet. I have however rode the 250 before. It felt like most other late model bike's to me, Very slim profile and tall but thats OK I'm long legged. I'm sure I would adapt to it. My terrain varies up here in Washington from the tightest, slickest, nastiest, rockiest, root infested, dense forest, to the most open fastest Desert terrain you can imagine, from sugar sand to desert hard pack and I race and ride in all those conditions. I am a enduro rider at heart and yes I will vouch for the Gas Gas in the technical nasties. If there is a better tool I am unaware of it.

AZRickD, I first of all do not have many gripes about the Gas Gas Bikes themselves, these things plain work, I am a believer.
Main issues I see are not the bike at all, but things like Price, racer support and the lack of a dedicated dealer in my area. Even those that do carry Gas Gas, support other brands in their stable far more and Gas Gas is like the red headed step child of the group, either not on the floor or stuffed in the corner to make room for what sells. As far as things about the Husky WR I don't like, the heavy clutch pull is number 1 on my list, felt it first hand at the dealer. I would have to replace with a magura first thing. The fact it is a 5 speed is number 2. The kick start positioning didn't seem as bad as others seem to make it out to be. After that all bikes need some tweaking and personalization to fit their pilot.

roostafish, thanks for turning me on to the Cafehusky.com. web site I was not aware of it. But I have lived, breathed and bled Gas Gas for years so I have had no interest elsewhere. I think the way that husky sites home page has the slide show shots of its members is very cool. I look forward to learning more about the WR 300 and the aftermarket support it has.

Rick, I enjoyed the 300 review link on the Dirt Rider site. I had never read it. As usual there is nothing as good as a KTM in their eyes. We here all know better.

I'm hoping I will get a chance to throw a leg over a WR 300 soon to get a true feel for it. In the mean time I will continue to try to get any and all information and opinions so I can make the right choice. One I will not regret.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 11-08-2009, 08:04 PM

I switched to husky for 2009 and it was a great decision,I talked with husky at our banquet and with the local GasGas dealer who were both very honest about what could be done basically for support and parts and such,coming off a 06 gasser 300,I did want to stay on a gasser,but the price of a new gasser was basically set in stone,husky was willing to move the price of the bike around quite a bit to have me racing it in the NETRA series. I raced the TXC250 based on promoting the bike and the great contingency program husky offers and I had a great year. I too had been a strong B rider back in 2005 then had a leg injury my first year as an expert in 2006,took me two years to finally win my class A-open,this year I won the A-senior class and have made the top ten promoting to "AA" for 2010,while winning 2300 in husky bucks as well,which will probably pay for half of my 2010 bike,how can you go wrong?? only problem with the WR 250/300 is the five speed and its a little dated motor wise,but I hear 2011 is going to be an all new chassis and engine
Old 11-08-2009, 09:16 PM

Default Husky

I recently purchased a 09 WR300, I came off a 06 EC250 and I still have my gasser also. I will say the clutch pull is harder than the gasser for sure, but with a little time on the bike its not that big of a deal. The rider compartment is much roomer than the EC, going from sitting to standing is much easier also. The bike stays good and straight for the most part in technical climbs and in the nasty stuff. The bike is really really strong! It lugs down really well and with the twist of the throttle it comes on smooth, but with a flick of the clutch it becomes a rocket. It is taller than the EC, but for me that wasn't that big of a deal either, at 6 ft. tall I have no issues with it. The stock seat is actually quite comfy too. The suspension in stock form is not bad. I'm riding it in stock form and I am quite pleased with it so far. As for the kick starter it too takes a little time to adjust to, but after a days ride it will be like second nature. My only complaint would be it can be a little hard to start sometimes, you need to find top dead center and have a strong leg. I've never had any time on a 300 gasser, so I can't really compare it to one. I will tell you this though, its much stronger than my 250. I still love my gasser to though, it is truely amazing also! You can't go wrong with either one in my opinion.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the response guys.

Fury1, first of all a huge thumbs up to you!
I know the work and dedication it takes to get to that level even though I haven't made it yet. In both our series you have to finish 8th or better. I was 9th overall 2 years in a row. Not so good this year 12th overall. Been kind of busy and undedicated.
As far as Husky goes it sound like your move worked for you the way you hoped. Husky definitely is making strides to support the sport and its racers. It 's hard to turn that down in these tough economic times.

redbone thanks, Its good to hear a real world review of the bike I'm interested in. I was not aware anyone on this site owned one. I also believe I will be keeping my Gas Gas even if I decide to race a husky.

Roscoe

Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM

I have been riding GG for the last 3 1/2 yrs. and will be switching to the TXC 250 for the last race of the season and for next season. The racing contingincy program is hard not to pass on. I have been riding the TXC for a few weeks now and the ergs. are similar to the gasser.