Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_G View Post
I'm with ya' on the hardware thing. Holy crap, how many wrenches should you have to use? The mismatched hardware is almost embarrassing.

Other than that, pretty dang happy. Actually like the use of Nylocs to back up bolts, mush easier to change than a gnarled up captured fastener.

Try different tranmission oils, found one that improved shifting and quieted the clutch down.

Chain guide - non issue. I changed every stock one on every other bike I owned as they are all crap.
I can live with a nut on the back side of a few bolts as long as I can get at the nut, the upper subframe mounting nuts are a bugger to get a wrench on.
I'm using Belray trans oil 85W...what's the perfered stuff ?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Preferred oil: Rotella 5w-40. or Amsoil 0w-40.

I can easily get a wrench on my upper subframe bolts. Just take the seat off, it only takes a second.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-08-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
I'm using Belray trans oil 85W...what's the perfered stuff ?
I hate oil opinions and discussions. Don't laugh now, but I tried the Rotella, which BTW worked fabulously in my KTM, my GasGas didn't like it, didn't like Bel-Ray either, decided to try something I used to use years ago.........ATF, shifting improved and cut the clutch sqwalling considerably. And the stuff is cheap enough I change it every other ride, which to me is more important than what you use. Again, just my experience, not an endorsement.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Site Sponsor

All these are valid points. As someone who was trying to sell GG's for years, I wish they would listen. Pointing out that there are other bikes that have problems to, is not the point. Those other bikes are what people are used to, they are going to get a pass on many of their problems. GasGas has to be better, especially if it's not going to be cheaper. The European mentality of "we build a great motorcycle and everyone should buy it regardless" is the problem. Americans need justification for their purchases. I've even seen the bike get blamed for the lack of mechanical skill by the owner, where if it was a Honda he would have blamed himself for that broken bolt or the engine that blew because it never had a top end.

Dan
Old 12-08-2009, 07:08 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalls113 View Post
All these are valid points. As someone who was trying to sell GG's for years, I wish they would listen. Pointing out that there are other bikes that have problems to, is not the point. Those other bikes are what people are used to, they are going to get a pass on many of their problems. GasGas has to be better, especially if it's not going to be cheaper. The European mentality of "we build a great motorcycle and everyone should buy it regardless" is the problem. Americans need justification for their purchases. I've even seen the bike get blamed for the lack of mechanical skill by the owner, where if it was a Honda he would have blamed himself for that broken bolt or the engine that blew because it never had a top end.

Dan
Good point !
Old 12-09-2009, 12:41 AM

Question

Quote:

Dan
I may be wrong but aren't you double dipping there? So because Honda has a major valve issue that they ignore and they are a major manufacturer it can be overlooked (or are we expected to just get used to it). Makes the original post look pretty minor IMHO.

Yes the Gassers have faults but is it really any worse than any other manufacturere's?

Cheers
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Australia
Old 12-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolum74 View Post
I may be wrong but aren't you double dipping there? So because Honda has a major valve issue that they ignore and they are a major manufacturer it can be overlooked (or are we expected to just get used to it). Makes the original post look pretty minor IMHO.

Yes the Gassers have faults but is it really any worse than any other manufacturere's?

Cheers
I don't think so on the dbbl dipping...Of course I had an issue about my 250's valves, as I did when my 85 yz 250 kept eating stators, and and my 88 cr 250 fouling plugs and bending linkage bolts.
After getting blasted on many a fourms honda improved their valves and valve seats.
Consumer products evolve when we the consumer brings to light what problems they had with the product, what they did and didn't like...what areas need improving.

I called out what I didn't like about my product, what I think (IMHO) needs improving...should we all just stick our heads in the sand and take what we get without a word and thank out lucky stars that at least we don't have valve issues.

"Yes the Gassers have faults but is it really any worse than any other manufacturere's?"
To answer your question no, but I'm not on another manufacturere's bike and if I were I'd give feed back on it/them as well
My thread is only constructive criticism directed at product improvement
Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
I"Yes the Gassers have faults but is it really any worse than any other manufacturere's?"
To answer your question no, but I'm not on another manufacturere's bike and if I were I'd give feed back on it/them as well
My thread is only constructive criticism directed at product improvement
Well said and touche'
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Australia
Old 12-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolum74 View Post

Cheers
I'm not saying what the public does is rational, actually it's wrong, but that's what happens. I think GG's are great bikes, but the poster has a point and what I'm saying is that GG can't hide behind the fact that other bikes have problems to. They have to be better or cheaper (both would be great) because they don't have a 40 yr reputation of building very good bikes, like the Japanese makes. They could also use a course in marketing. Marketing is why the public eats up KTM's not because they're better. KTM is a European company that figured out how to market in the US, but it takes money.

Dan
Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
I'm not saying what the public does is rational, actually it's wrong, but that's what happens. I think GG's are great bikes, but the poster has a point and what I'm saying is that GG can't hide behind the fact that other bikes have problems to. They have to be better or cheaper (both would be great) because they don't have a 40 yr reputation of building very good bikes, like the Japanese makes. They could also use a course in marketing. Marketing is why the public eats up KTM's not because they're better. KTM is a European company that figured out how to market in the US, but it takes money.

Dan
Brilliant point on the marketing. I think Gas Gas has tried to use some of that inertia from KTM by making a 300 and a 200. The problem is, there's very little money to get the word out. When they hired Paul Edmonson back in the '90s and he won world championships on the bike, that was huge for the European market, but the U.S. doesn't really buy into the world championship, they need a U.S. champion. Even still, you could provide some test mules for motorcycle magazines. It's money, money money. The importer can't afford to cut loose with free bikes to get hammered on, all to not gain sales. The reviews won't sell bikes unless they're consistently good, and plentiful. Somebody very enthusiastic about the brand (a Phil Knight, so to speak) would have to pony up for the cost of some bikes for testing, and make them "ringers." I'm not suggesting to cheat, but take care of a couple of the little PITA's and send them out, and send support, like the big boys do. Too bad our little club of enthusiasts is full of average dudes, and not a couple of multi millionaires.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs