Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:26 AM

Unhappy Gear box problem 07 ec300

well i said i would report on my ride with the sachs shock - you can find that info in suspension - a far greater problem is that i have only third gear, cant change up or down, the lever is has spring tension but will not do anything.

The bike hasnt reached 200 klm yet so you can guess how pissed off i am and its funny i was thinking 10 mins earlier, what a brilliant gearbox.

My boy has had no luck with his new 06 200ec the tacho died and we found cracked and broken wires - i suppose he will post the photos and a story on the forum.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:56 AM

This problem is usually caused by a loose bolt on the shift drum and can be accessed without splitting the cases. Gas Gas calls this part a shift cam and shows it as a single part. I would bet it is made in two pieces - anyone here know for sure?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Site Sponsor

We had that happen on my buddies '06 300 last year. You have to take off the clutch and get at the shift drum. There will probably be some burrs on the shift mechanism on the end of the shift drum. You have to sand or file off the burrs. This is causing the shift drum to stick. If you go to page 18 on the GG engine manual for the '07 and find #22 and #18, these are the parts that have the burrs on them. I guess the stamping process sometimes leaves a bit of burr. The factory should know this and fix them before they go out. I have heard of this being quite common, luckily its not a major catastrophe.
Claude
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 02-25-2007, 01:12 PM

If they know about it they should check and fix the bad drums before fitting them! Why do manufacturer's allow this? The odd fault is understandable but there's no excuse for common faults due to manufacturing defects - as soon as they come to light they should simply brief the assemblers to check for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cladoo View Post
We had that happen on my buddies '06 300 last year. You have to take off the clutch and get at the shift drum. There will probably be some burrs on the shift mechanism on the end of the shift drum. You have to sand or file off the burrs. This is causing the shift drum to stick. If you go to page 18 on the GG engine manual for the '07 and find #22 and #18, these are the parts that have the burrs on them. I guess the stamping process sometimes leaves a bit of burr. The factory should know this and fix them before they go out. I have heard of this being quite common, luckily its not a major catastrophe.
Claude
Old 02-25-2007, 07:41 PM

This is a classic problem. Its not the drum, its the shift claw parts. They are stamped and can be slightly distorted and burred. Eaisly fixed on vise anvil and deburred with a fine file. Yes its a quality issue and should not hsppen, but not a big deal. When you get a new GG you should do this before riding the bike. Just like greasing the linkage bearings and steering head. This is just one of the "quirks" of the bike. On the flip side, take a good look at how stout the cases are, and that the clutch lasts for years.

If I get a new one, I will document this and post it as a tech article.

Don't expect well detailed electrics on any Euro bike. Another quirk. Live with it. Get the tape, spiral wrap, and silicone sealer out and bulletproof the electrics. Focus on flex and abrasion points and add insulation as required. I reroute the harness in spots as well. If the factory detailed the harness like this it would just add to the cost.

The GG is a very fixable bike, that is the quirks are minor and the bike can be rebuilt many times and last for years if desired. If you don't plan on upgrading seasonally or can't afford to, its the perfect bike.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 AM

Smile Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the info, I contacted the dealer and he wants to fix the bike for me, i have printed out the info from you guys to give him. and as the bike is only 2 weeks old i should let him fix it to maintain the warranty on the bike.

Thanks again