Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

I'm curious how old and how hard some of these bikes have been ridden that guys are complaining about?

Speaking for myself, when I ride a typical day i'm off my bike 4 or 5 times. And I am surprised more has not broken on it.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 AM

no not a dealer the guy bought it from a dealer and he had it on here as a low hour dealer bike. The reason I bought it was i knew the dealer and had seen this bike when new at the races and figured that it had been took care of. The guy I got it from only had it a short time. it ran good but it was pouring rain and i was excited about the gasgas and didnt check it as good as i should have do to time and the conditions. I realy dont think the guy knew the shape of the bike as he hadnt had it very long. Just sayin one guys treasure can turn into your problems I seen the add today when I thought about selling it and was wanting to get an idea of what it was worth. I just got off the phone with gofasters and have parts on the way I ask about fork bushings they are $40 a peice WOW. Maybee i will fall in love with the bike once I get the bugs out from what I here you all love your bikes. I like the bike fine and understand that any bike can have these problems but it sure gets you frustrated when you have these profblems how expensive parts are and that there is only one game in town when you get parts. I am going to race it at least once I have spent to much money not to maybee i will be able to get on here and rave how I love it we will see.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Cool

My next purchase this yr. will be a 250cc Gas Gas absolutely, why not? I watch the Kid from the Isle of Mann Danny McCanney ride the 300 and what do i add to that. It's proven at the World level so it makes my needs in a Enduro 2-stroke fit perfectly. The 2012's are engineering wonders, i've a Sach's on another bike i own with no problems tuning it or complaints about parts costs and shipping. The Post Office will ship for under $15 overnight it with UPS what the hell you already paid $8 Grand for the scooter. I am always amazed that the Gas Gas will exceed my talents with results, they handle like on a rail only when pushed at high speeds you get a little wobble going into a hard braking situation otherwise they are as good as Husky and better than KTM. One other thing Clay has been front and center and for that; support those that support us. Stoked for a new ride.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:15 PM

mine is an 08 ec 300 and I know it has been raced sence 08 it was a kinda a dealer demo the dealers brother raced it for two years and then when he went to a four wheeler the owner just rode it for a while then it was sold to the guy I got it from who didnt ride it much he said Im dont think any one lied about the bike just maybe didnt know. Im shure it has been rode alot and like i said maybe when i get the bugs worked out it will be good.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:43 PM

I've been riding for 35 years, thought the ec 300 would be perfect. In my opinion, the four strokes still have the edge on power modulation. That being said, my '10 ec300 is a good bike, but I'd be looking darn hard for my new one... when it happens. It's not as easy to work on, or seem to have quality components as a jap bike, plain and simple. The KTM's (if I can say that here) also have their quirks- to me they are built too chintzy (sp?), they are built to be light and just enough. I've ridden jap bikes my whole life and have never had the issues the KTM buddies have had with breakage.

Still, GG is a great bike, kudos for them making a bike for how we love to ride.
2005 Z1000R
1997 GL1500
Old 03-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Ok- back to the original question at hand- would I buy another Gas Gas? YES.

I recently bought a 2011 300 Race.

I'm new to the whole off road riding world- trees/ rocks/ roots used to be something I drove past to get to the track. I am NOT an "accomplished" rider by any means- I have ridden off and on for the last 30+ years and I have ridden/ owned a variety of bikes.

My "skill level" is probably fairly low given the amount of time I've been riding, so no illusion that a "new" bike is going to make me ride better.

My conversion to the Gas Gas was purely based on two things: 1) The appearance of the bike and 2) The level of superb/quality components that came stock on the bike.

A 3rd BONUS for me, was the EXCELLENT dealer support I had during the buying process. Small little shop run by enthusiasts who certainly aren't getting rich- but are here to help promote the sport and the brand.

I have ridden the big Orange bikes for a long time- long before riding them was "cool" and I have had good experiences with them as well.

When it came time to buy this time, I just found myself drawn to the Gas Gas.

I had never even ridden one when I ordered my bike. I had only sat on one at a dealership.

I am tall and was a little concerned about the sizing complaints I had read, but so far, its not been an issue for me. I will say that I absolutely LOVE this bikes ability to chug down low and pull me through stuff that I would have NEVER ridden over before.... ( I'm still learning about those stupid hidden roots/ branches. I had one take me out yesterday hiding under some wet leaves)

Over all its been a great purchase and makes me smile everytime I take it out to ride. ( the thumbs up I get on the trail also help- )

I will probably buy another Orange bike some time in the future as I still feel the desire to own a 350 4 stroke- but for now I am enjoying the "honeymoon phase" with the new 300 Race...

BTW- Thanks Mark! My parts from Go Fasters just showed up today! ( number plate conversion so I can remove the headlight)
Old 03-25-2012, 05:57 PM

My answer to that question this past Friday (3/23) would have been "probably yes." Fifteen minutes in to Saturday's ride, my first outing on the new bike, the answer is "I'm not sure." Today, after another few hours on the CRF, I'm in the "probably no" category.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
My answer to that question this past Friday (3/23) would have been "probably yes." Fifteen minutes in to Saturday's ride, my first outing on the new bike, the answer is "I'm not sure." Today, after another few hours on the CRF, I'm in the "probably no" category.
Do you really think its a fair comparison? Hondas 2012 model vs a 2003 Gas Gas? I can assure you the EC has gone through several rounds of improvement over the last 9 years. Not major changes, but refining their product to make a good thing better.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:24 PM

I have a lot of seat time on my riding partner's '05 EC300 and '11 300 Six Days. Gas Gas suspension simply doesn't compare. I admit the Gas Gas can turn in a bit tighter on trials type terrain, but can't hold or change a line like the Honda at speed. I bought the CRF as a play toy; primarily for the EFI, but it is now my main ride.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 PM

A definate YES, YES. YES for me. I've ridden GG for 14 years - now on my 5th one and I've only been let down one time. Parts have never been a problem but to be fair Ive never needed a part that wasn't a normal wear item except that one time when a crank bearing went south on me. That bike was a 4year old 300 that I bought used for $1650.
Some of the comments on here strike me as somewhat unfair for example comparing older gassers to brand new jap bikes or blaming GG for quality control problems of some of their suppliers (Marzooki and AJP come to mind). My experience with he GG brand is the parts they make are better than any of the "top five" and easier to get. As for their European suppliers some loss of quality control is to be expected due to the economic climate in that region today. Lots of people in Italy are losing their jobs. Do you think you would be as contentious about your work if you were expecting to get laid off? Japan may go through some of the same problems due to last years flooding.