Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:07 PM

Yes. I own an '18 250 & have ridden the '18 300 enough to tell the difference between the two.

300 - prodigious bottom end & compared to my 250, that little bit of engine braking that comes with a 300. It has more arm pull, too, compared to the 250 due to the extra torque. This makes the bike 'feel' like it turns in a little slower (not slow, slower) & takes a millisecond longer to change direction in tight, technical terrain. It would climb anything in 2nd gear.

250 - easily the most powerful stock 250 enduro bike I've ridden. I had a '14 RR250 for a year & the Gas Gas out-muscles it in every part of the power curve.
Luckily for us trail riders, the boffins in Spain have got the motor characteristic just right. I am a reasonably adept rider who likes rocky & technical riding & the '18 250 is easy to ride, very responsive and smooth.

I don't ride it like a 250 - I ride it like my Beta RR300 - just lug it around & twist it when it's time for smiles. It is like a 280 to me!

The bike's bottom end will pull you up & over anything you're willing to tackle (I run 13/50 gearing), the mid-range is a joy in single trail & the top end is wow.

I am 95kg on board, haven't touched the springs or clickers. I run NEDW #3, 40p/172m, a/s 1.5, Motul 700 @ 2% in 98RON fuel. The bike runs perfectly.

I don't want or need any more power - the best bike I've had by a margin.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibnut View Post
Yes. I own an '18 250 & have ridden the '18 300 enough to tell the difference between the two.

300 - prodigious bottom end & compared to my 250, that little bit of engine braking that comes with a 300. It has more arm pull, too, compared to the 250 due to the extra torque. This makes the bike 'feel' like it turns in a little slower (not slow, slower) & takes a millisecond longer to change direction in tight, technical terrain. It would climb anything in 2nd gear.

250 - easily the most powerful stock 250 enduro bike I've ridden. I had a '14 RR250 for a year & the Gas Gas out-muscles it in every part of the power curve.
Luckily for us trail riders, the boffins in Spain have got the motor characteristic just right. I am a reasonably adept rider who likes rocky & technical riding & the '18 250 is easy to ride, very responsive and smooth.

I don't ride it like a 250 - I ride it like my Beta RR300 - just lug it around & twist it when it's time for smiles. It is like a 280 to me!

The bike's bottom end will pull you up & over anything you're willing to tackle (I run 13/50 gearing), the mid-range is a joy in single trail & the top end is wow.

I am 95kg on board, haven't touched the springs or clickers. I run NEDW #3, 40p/172m, a/s 1.5, Motul 700 @ 2% in 98RON fuel. The bike runs perfectly.

I don't want or need any more power - the best bike I've had by a margin.
Cool thanks for the detailed report. Yes, I had a 14 Beta 250 Race Edition, but thought that bike was more like a 200 than a 250. Glad to see the GG 250 has improved!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:42 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

OK, time for some reason here!
There are no bad bikes out there as far as I'm concerned. People will either drink the Kool Aid or buy what appeals to them.
My 2c ( Aus)
Ive owned most of them but nothing from KTM/Husky more recent than 2015.
2010 EC 300 Euro:small, fast , reasonable suspension ( Sachs/Ohlins)
2013 EC 300 Race : taller, quite heavy, somewhat peaky engine
2015 Sherco SER 300: best suspended bike (stock) I'd ridden. Bit a pain to live with in terms of dealers.Excellent handling. Map switch that made a difference
2015 Husky TE 300: Ohlins RFX/TTX suspension. Great ( compared to stock 4CS), bit 'meh'
2017 Beta 250 RR Race. Much smaller than the current bikes, love being able to dab feet easily ( even tho' I'm 6'3"), very easy to get along with ( in terms of parts), excellent luggy motor, excellent suspension ( Gibnut's KYB's on front) and handling.250's are the new black!
2018 GG 250 and 300:Gibnuts 6 days is the best looking dirtbike out there.Period. I enjoyed riding them but they're not that much different to the other offerings TBH. Yes, great suspension ( as they all can be with fettling) , however the trump card ( !) is that you dont need to do anything to it- the three in our group havent changed even clicker settings ( and range in weight from 80kg-> 100 kg ( sorry Chris)). Even tho' there seems to be workarounds, the e start should function all the time.Sorry. It's not 2007 with an EXC.
If I were buying a new bike in 2018, I would get the GG. The Beta would be my only other choice ( given they're the same price) BUT I dont like the changes to the 2018 and the suspension ( even tho' the Sachs CC is OK) is not upto GG.
If Beta were smart , they'd be putting KYB forks on their bikes for next year.
Anyway, cant go wrong with any of them!

Last edited by jpgibson; 04-14-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgibson View Post
OK, time for some reason here!
There are no bad bikes out there as far as I'm concerned. People will either drink the Kool Aid or buy what appeals to them.
My 2c ( Aus)
Ive owned most of them but nothing from KTM/Husky more recent than 2015.
2010 EC 300 Euro:small, fast , reasonable suspension ( Sachs/Ohlins)
2013 EC 300 Race : taller, quite heavy, somewhat peaky engine
2015 Sherco SER 300: best suspended bike (stock) I'd ridden. Bit a pain to live with in terms of dealers.Excellent handling. Map switch that made a difference
2015 Husky TE 300: Ohlins RFX/TTX suspension. Great ( compared to stock 4CS), bit 'meh'
2017 Beta 250 RR Race. Much smaller than the current bikes, love being able to dab feet easily ( even tho' I'm 6'3"), very easy to get along with ( in terms of parts), excellent luggy motor, excellent suspension ( Gibnut's KYB's on front) and handling.250's are the new black!
2018 GG 250 and 300:Gibnuts 6 days is the best looking dirtbike out there.Period. I enjoyed riding them but they're not that much different to the other offerings TBH. Yes, great suspension ( as they all can be with fettling) , however the trump card ( !) is that you dont need to do anything to it- the three in our group havent changed even clicker settings ( and range in weight from 80kg-> 100 kg ( sorry Chris)). Even tho' there seems to be workarounds, the e start should function all the time.Sorry. It's not 2007 with an EXC.
If I were buying a new bike in 2018, I would get the GG. The Beta would be my only other choice ( given they're the same price) BUT I dont like the changes to the 2018 and the suspension ( even tho' the Sachs CC is OK) is not upto GG.
If Beta were smart , they'd be putting KYB forks on their bikes for next year.
Anyway, cant go wrong with any of them!
My e-start does work all the time now, big bro! 220cca battery, new earth strap from stater mount to batt -ive & it works everytime - in or out of gear, hot or cold.

Still don't know what the knobs on top of the fork are for!