Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > United Kingdom

Old 09-03-2014, 01:34 AM

Default Ec 200 newbie

Hi guys
Just bought my first enduro / greenlane bike, its took me 51 years !!!!

Bought a tidy ec200 06

Had problems getting suspension spring rate info but thats now sorted and Ive moved onto motor, yea it had a huge squish clearance so Ive pulled that down to 1.5mm to test, jetting tweaked to suit.

Question: are there any mods that yous guys do that I should look at doing, as I say Ive only got a couple hours saddle time, just waiting for springs to arrive...

Ps: anyone got a rear mudguard support for sale ?

Regards

Chris

Old 09-03-2014, 03:24 AM

hi,

good you got a 200 :-D ,i had one too and it was all i needed to get everywhere with the "big guys".
i assume you have the 2K3 ignition? if not ,get a heavy flywheel weight to compensate.
jetting makes such a big difference,if you get it right for your needs.
i had the power valve cover installed aswell and that made it even more smooth from down low in the revs. i never really reved it to the moon,no need for what i do, single track.

have fun with it!!

ciao, Hannes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
Hi guys

Bought a tidy ec200 06

Had problems getting suspension spring rate info but thats now sorted and Ive moved onto motor, yea it had a huge squish clearance so Ive pulled that down to 1.5mm to test, jetting tweaked to suit.

Question: are there any mods that yous guys do that I should look at doing, as I say Ive only got a couple hours saddle time, just waiting for springs to arrive...

Regards

Chris
Old 09-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Hi guys

Bought a tidy ec200 06

Regards

Chris
Welcome to the club!
I bought my first offroad bike, a 06 EC200 when I was 49, so I beat you by a couple of years. I have had it since, now I'm turning 54 in a week. My only previous offroad experience was our "Family motocrosser", a 2000 RM125 that I bought in 05, mainly for the kids to ride.

I have done a lot of mods to my one, to make it better suited to me and my needs:
Heavier springs (5.4 at the rear)
KYB forks from a Yamaha 250F (revalved with a gold valve kit)
Big exhaust cover (better low end torque)
FMF Gnarly exhaust (same as above)
rain/shine switch (you can select more low down troque or higher-reving engine with the flip of a switch).
Lectron carb (bolt on and go racing)
Talon wheels (no particular benefit apart from that it's nice to have two wheel sets)
"Transformation kit" with a 2007-2011 rear subframe, airbox and 2011 platics. I like the ergonomics of this setup better.
Talon footpegs (keeps the boots on the pegs instead of slipping off).
Scotts steering damper (save you when you hit something that could twist the front wheel and throw you off).
Twisted engineering handlebars (expensive, flexible bars that reduce some of the shocks transferred to the arms / shoulders / upper body)
Handguards with alu frames (saves the hand when you hit a tree)
Rekluse clutch (helps you with hook-up /better grip at the rear tyre in steep climbs if you are not used to modulating the clutch)

My first mod was to install the Rekluse.

And yes, I have a secondhand rear mudguard support, toghether with a complete seondhand rear subframe and a brand new OEM yellow rear mudguard / fender. sine I have transformed my bike into a 2011 lookalike, I will never use these parts again.
I live in Norway, where the postage isn't actually cheap. But if you like, I can get a shipping price for you (to the UK, I presume?)

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 09-03-2014, 03:57 PM

i got my 1st enduro this year & i'm 43

i got a new ec300r with the cash i got from selling my rocket .

i've never had so much fun on a bike .

i got a set of gas gas sm wheels from spain ( ?550 cheaper than england ) for riding on road .

its great fun riding over moorland or seeing how far up a hill i can get .

apart from the problems i'm having with the starter it's a great bike .
Old 09-06-2014, 08:49 AM

Seems there's a lot of tuning/tweaking parts for the 200

Ive found that I have the bigger flywheel, so no need for a weight.

I do have it jetted spot on I think, but a couple of hours trail time will tell.

Can anyone advise me if this 06 will have the CDI map facility, if so what colour wires are they, if I have it, what switch is needed, a breaker or switcher ?

Also has anyone fitted a keyed ignition switch ? Any help advice on that would be cool too.....
Old 09-06-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Can anyone advise me if this 06 will have the CDI map facility, if so what colour wires are they, if I have it, what switch is needed, a breaker or switcher ?
My 06 200 has this facility. I installed a switch only some weeks ago.

The wires are easy to locate, they are the only two unused ones coming from the CDI.

Connect them together an you have the "shine" ignition map. Unconnected you have the "rain" map I believe.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc

Last edited by Anders; 09-06-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Default Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
My 06 200 has this facility. I installed a switch only some werks ago.

The wires are easy to locate, they are the only two unused ones coming from the CDI.

Connect them together an you have the "shine" ignition map. Unconnevted you have the "rain" msp I believe.
Cheers Anders

I will have a look tomorrow.

Did you get the pm about parts and how to pay ?

Regards

Chris
Old 09-06-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Cheers Anders
Did you get the pm about parts and how to pay ?
Yep, you got a PM

1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 09-06-2014, 03:26 PM

my first point to raise would be
I see your name is 32:1 is that what your running?

I used to have a kdx200 that ran that but the gasgas runs at 50:1 despite using the same carb!

other than that have you got a bash plate? I just got one from ad-tek products seems pretty good, other than that usual, keep filter clean, make sure bearings are good and enjoy riding!

sounds like your already cleverer than me! so while your hear could you explain how you measure squish??
Old 09-07-2014, 01:39 AM

Default Hi

Yea, I run 32:1 in almost every 2st engine Ive owned, as I spent a good few years racing mx and then road based stuff, on some stuff even 20:1 with no issues whatsoever. Ive found oil is my friend and its easy to adjust carburation anyway. The only difference is the bike may smoke a little more when first fired up, but once up to temp you cant tell who's running what ratio's.

But as Ive said, this is my first enduro bike and obviously the engine speed is lower in places and more variable so I'll carry out some tests as soon as Im ready to roll..

Ive sent you a pm !