Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck with the surgery.
Call me if you need anything.

Looking at those step-by-step photos, I could have saved you a bunch of cash.
I can fillet a fish with the best of 'em.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
Robby,

What was the cause for your CTS? I can't imagine the numbness and duration that you experience, wow!

Good luck with the surgery and recovery.
Matt to tell you the truth we really never talked about past issues that could have caused it.

I broke my right hand in a "Friendly" fist fight back in middle school and then rode bulls thru high school with some small injuries there. From what I have read they say it comes from what you do with your hands on a daily basis. For me I have always worked with my hands. I have worked for Coca Cola for 11 years on the production line so grabbing six 2 liter bottles off of the line numerous times a day has more than likely caused some of my issues.

Some of the "At Home" tests you can do yourself have not really proven anything. But the one test he did in his office where he popped his fingers across the median nerve really hurt and he said without a doubt that I had CTS.

My surgery is scheduled for 6:00 A.M. Wednesday. My nerves have been getting the better part of me today as I am not sure what to expect. The good thing is that they told me they are going to knock me out completely. Most of the research has said that it is done by a local. I guess because I am doing both at once it is better to go completely under.

I have been fighting this issue since I got back into riding dirt bikes 4 years ago. Ask Girard. Every time we ride I struggle with my hands going numb and not regaining feeling for a day or two or longer. I have done everything possible to the bike with no relief. Hopefully this will cure it and I can once again enjoy riding my bike all day long with the exception of the monkey butt my seat gives me.

I have promised myself that I am wearing all of my Gas Gas swag in & out of the hospital. I have given my wife instructions to take pictures of me before and after so I can support our brand even at the hospital.

Girard I love you like a brother but there is no way in hell that I am going to let you try your fillet knife skills on my hands!

Thanks for the well wishes.
Robby
Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Girard I love you like a brother but there is no way in hell that I am going to let you try your fillet knife skills on my hands!
Aw come on........
I'm more skeerd that you will be faster than me in the woods. Time for me to step up my "A" game.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Aw come on........
I'm more skeerd that you will be faster than me in the woods. Time for me to step up my "A" game.

I doubt that buddy! I can only dream to be as fast as you in the tight stuff.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Hopefully this will cure it and I can once again enjoy riding my bike all day long with the exception of the monkey butt my seat gives me.
Maybe that willl be the next innovation, "Monky Butt Releif Surgery".

Robby,

The real test will be rocks. Despite knowing its right to relax, people tend to tense up in rocks and hold on for their life because of all the small (and sometimes big) deflections and the generally disconnected feel to the bike compared to good dirt/traction. If you can take a rock beating for hours your cured!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Well I just got home! I am still a bit high from the drugs though.

Doc said he found some severe nerve damage in the right hand but other than thatit went well.

I will post more later!

Boomer
Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 AM

Awesome! Here's to a speedy revovery and back to riding soon.

Oh those pics...I think I would want to be knocked out as well. Don't think I could take watching that thing being shoved throught my hand.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:03 PM

Here are pics from recovery room
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SURGERY.jpg (69.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SURGERY2.jpg (74.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 PM

I forgot this... When I asked for a different color air cast this is what they gave me.

c'mon guys have a sense of humor here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kool Aid.jpg (33.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-14-2009, 06:31 PM

The only thing I remember was them putting the IV on my right foot and then taking me into the OR. The lady behind me said I made you up a very special dose. Next thing I know I am waking up in recovery. They asked me if I was feeling any pain and i told them yes. They put something into my IV and the pain went away.

Doc came buy and said everything went smooth. He did not cut into my palm. He only made a small cut on each wrist and did the job thru that incision.

He asked me if I wipe with my palm and the nurse behind him just shook her head. Beside him being a wise A$$ he is truly a great doctor in my opinion. He really cares about his patients.

My hands are wrapped up completely and then in the morning he wants me to pull them off. I have already started doing some PT with the hands and the wife bought me a few thing to help this process out. Thanks Claddo for the info on the powerball. Girard was able to point me to a store here locally that stocks them. This is going to be hard to get my hands in shape for the Cherokee National Enduro so I must stay focused and give the PT my best.

Robby