Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:13 AM

Default Sandblasted Engine Cases & Pipe

So since im waiting for my rebuilt crank and new rod + full engine gasket set to start the rebuild I decided to have a few bit sandblasted to make sure the engine does have that NEW feeling.

I actually clear lacquered the messico but for some reason it went tits up and ended up all brown so I have decided to paint it with a heat resistant silver.

do i need to paint inside the engine?? my head says yes I do but would like a 2nd/3rd/4th opinion,or just paint the outside.

As you can also see by the 'blue' marks on the crankcases I intend to do some port matching & smoothing work (not polishing) like i did to my cylinder as the crankcases are pretty bad outta the factory,just like the cylinder was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0506_converted.jpg (112.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0510_converted.jpg (114.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0513_converted.jpg (117.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0516_converted.jpg (100.7 KB, 68 views)

Old 01-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

The only internal paint I would consider is inside the ignition cover as it's "dry," compared to the rest of the engine being bathed in oil and oil spray. I wouldn't want to chance having paint peel and flake wither inside the crankcase or the transmission case and possibly foul something. Just my opinion.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:29 AM

Having some used, black oil on your finger would make a print in a quarter of a second after you sandblasted it. What do you have in mind for alu treatment after this on the outside?
Old 01-20-2016, 11:54 AM

Funny thing is it was painted on the inside from the factory , so I thought I'd also do the same however I can see your point about it being bathed in oil.

Just some good ol black high temperature rattle can paint for the cases and head, and silver for the cylinder and pipe ..followed with a good lick of clear high temp lacquer.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:59 PM

That would look sharp. Nice black and white contrast. Did you sandblast this yourself? Did you mask so only the outside of the cases get blasted?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:06 PM

If you would have asked before sand blasting...... I would have said.... soda blasting vice sand blasting. With the open pores I would think that it is going to be a bear to keep looking clean!

I like a bare pipe, yes more up keep, but has that "one off" look. Take a MAP torch to the welds and give them a nice blue looks.....WD40 and scotch brite pad will make up keep pretty easy!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 01-20-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGRider01 View Post
That would look sharp. Nice black and white contrast. Did you sandblast this yourself? Did you mask so only the outside of the cases get blasted?
I got a guy I know to do it he's just a one man band, but does great work out of a garage,he did my alloys wheels for my car and lots of other little jobs he's dirt cheap like 15 euros ($16) for the pipe and the cases.
inside and outside was done.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
If you would have asked before sand blasting...... I would have said.... soda blasting vice sand blasting. With the open pores I would think that it is going to be a bear to keep looking clean!

I like a bare pipe, yes more up keep, but has that "one off" look. Take a MAP torch to the welds and give them a nice blue looks.....WD40 and scotch brite pad will make up keep pretty easy!
yeah I pretty much echo your opinion with the 'works' look,however I live near a little town and found this guy just by chance.

Everything is a 4hr round trip to buy or get anything major done,plus the language barrier is hard often resorting to drawing pictures or saying words in english which just gets a blank look
your probably 110% right on the soda blasting however everything comes at a cost for me sadly.......one day my little girls will grow up and daddy will go buy a brand new bike
Old 01-21-2016, 11:59 AM

You sandblasted the seats for the bearings also? Ups
Old 01-30-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stian View Post
You sandblasted the seats for the bearings also? Ups
That was my concern as well.