Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:01 AM

Default Advice on new ring work required for EC200 2011 six days

Hi, just acquired my first gasgas (2011 six days EC200). No hour meter on the bike. Original owner raced it for two-three seasons I believe. No engine work done on it by him. Wanted to start fresh and was planning on re-ringing and inspection. Wanting some thoughts and checks from those that have done this:

1. Ordered rings from Wiseco (assume these fit OEM Piston?)
2. Ordered a full gasket kit from Amazon (Namura, NX-12001T, Namura Top End Gasket Kit Gas Gas Enduro EC 200 250 300) Any experience/issue with these? Good/bad move? Not sure where to order from. KTM parts sourcing was more obvious to me.
3. Curious on rough time for the job start/finish assuming nothing found bad along the way with some experience rebuilding bikes/jet skis. 2-3 hours realistic?
4. Scope of work? remove shrouds, tank, carb, exhaust, coolant lines, PV cover and lift off? Anything to watch out for? Anything required with PV?
5. Clean cylinder with scotch brite, measure end gap and reinstall?

Sorry if this is written up somewhere already but my searches did not show it. Thanks! The threads I have searched have made me a little nervous that there is much that can go wrong with this project and its not as simple as I am assuming it to be.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Rings????.

Find the letter on your cylinder A. b. C and. Buy piston and
ring set
Your taking the top end off , do the whole job. Especially on a small bore bike
Better safe for a few extra bucks than sorry
Stoby
Old 10-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

As above. Go the whole piston, or at minimum pull the old slug and make sure you buy rings from the same brand. Stock is Vertex-cast (generally), and most people will replace with Wossner-forged.

OEM gaskets are cheap enough. Base gasket stack, head O-rings, cooling T at the head gasket. Wouldn't hurt to have a few extras either (both PV sides, water pump, and stator gasket at minimum).

Rads will need to lower bolt removed and allowed to move forward for cylinder clearance.

Watch the nyloc nut on the PV when undoing it. Some heat is a good thing. PV flapper needs to be rotated out the exh port.

I have a few rebuild threads in the 2T engine section.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:24 AM

Make sure you file the rings to the correct gap, they normally sell as a set for the biggest size and need to be opened up for smaller bores
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 10-12-2015, 07:42 AM

There is a B at the base of the cylinder facing the back of the bike. Do I purchase for a "C" then if the is the first replacement? Looked at Wossner-forged and they dont list a 200 for 2011.... Is the lettering just for the piston or for rings and piston both?

How long of a job do we think we are looking at for this? Trying to figure out if I should do it now or wait until winter
Old 10-17-2015, 04:56 PM

Bear in mind the letter designations are only 0.01mm apart. You are better off measuring your cylinder, but in reality they will all work fine. The rings will be one size fits all, you need to put them in the cylinder, push them straight with the piston, then measure the gap with feeler gauges. File the ends with a fine diamond file (200 grit or more) until the gap is correct.
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450