Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:18 PM

Default Possible overheating

Hello all

Just finished a complete rebuild on my 2002 ec300 somehow it seems to work.

Anyway I'm a little worried at how hot this things runs the cylinder is very hot to touch say after 10 minutes riding is this normal??

I have taken off the waterpunp cover and checked the pump is spinning when kickstarting etc and offered a little resistance to it aswell to double check.

Is there a proper way to bleed the radiators to get the air out because maybe I have an air lock or something but both radiators seem to be getting hot together.

There Is.an expansion bottle above the radiators does this need to be filled with coolant ?? I.think maybe I get a little coolant out from a hose that comes from this expansion bottle but havent run it long enough to really tell as yet.

Any suggestions or am I worrying over nothing ??

Thanks

Old 08-11-2020, 05:01 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgre2643 View Post
Hello all

Just finished a complete rebuild on my 2002 ec300 somehow it seems to work.

Anyway I'm a little worried at how hot this things runs the cylinder is very hot to touch say after 10 minutes riding is this normal??

I have taken off the waterpunp cover and checked the pump is spinning when kickstarting etc and offered a little resistance to it aswell to double check.

Is there a proper way to bleed the radiators to get the air out because maybe I have an air lock or something but both radiators seem to be getting hot together.

There Is.an expansion bottle above the radiators does this need to be filled with coolant ?? I.think maybe I get a little coolant out from a hose that comes from this expansion bottle but havent run it long enough to really tell as yet.

Any suggestions or am I worrying over nothing ??

Thanks
think you are worrying about nothing. If there is air flowing through the radiators (normal riding) and water starts spraying from the overflow (pipe is normally down near the exhaust outlet) then you need to worry. The engine will get hot - think normal operating temp is about 90 deg C and it will probably only start blowing steam at about 120deg C depending on your radiator cap

To see if you have proper circulation - when it is cold - take the cap off, start the bike and look in, you will see the liquid is being pumped (i don't think any gassers have themostats) only bleeding that may be required is to lean the bike over when filling from empty, but if you have the headder tank this is probably not needed)

PS if you are riding really gnarly 1st gear stuff with lots of clutch you may end up boiling the bike, not the end of the world, just stop and let it cool down before moving on. If this is your normal riding then look at fitting a fan
Old 09-01-2020, 04:24 AM

Yep if coolant circulating then WP is fine. Run it without the cap on for a few minutes to get any air out. Don't rev it though!🤣👍