Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 12-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Default General update on my 450 FSE

New to this site and to GasGas ( about 60days). But, I definitely like my GG. It sorely needs my personal touch, but it's more than worth the effort.

Like other posts in the injection category,. I've been having a devil of a time figuring out how to get it started in the morning. I read the posts and cursed the fuel injection system. It's just not like the FI on my CBR. The CBR auto chokes the motor so it starts in 2 seconds regardless of the temp. When the temp reaches 100f the idle slows and it's ready to go. At over 5k rpm a secondary injector kicks in for each cylinder to just make the bike scream.
The GG has none of this and it doesn't even have an idle adjustment as far as I can see.

Anyway, all of this aside, I finally found the magic method for early morning starts. And for that, I'm happy. For my bike, a bike that doesn't like starting in the morning, I recycle the FI 6 times one right after another. Doing nothing other than turning the switch on until the cycling noise stops. Than turning it off and recycling it again. After 6 recycles, it starts within 2-3 seconds without fail. Since this is such a production, I replaced the key with an on-off switch. Makes the whole thing easier.

Next thing,
I completed the fitting of my rear DRZ 400 SM wheel to the back of my GG. Used a S rotor. Ground 1/8" off a standard DRZ spacer for the sprocket side. Uses the short GG spacer on the Rotor side and I was good to go.

As good as the GG is for single tracking in the dirt , it's just as good with a 150-60-17 on the back on a paved mountain road. I like it!!

So, next is the fitting of a KTM 17 for the front.

With the DRZ rear hub, I can go as low as a 36t for the rear. and with that, it cruises nicely at 75-80 mph.

Hope this is interesting to at least some of you.

Tony

Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

How cold are your mornings, Tony? I find my own FSE to start within three short bursts with the starter, at temps down to freezing. When starting at temps below freezing I turn the key on, twist the thtottle to the stop and then push the magic button, always fires right up, at the first crank.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:16 AM

I'm in California so It's not the cold. It's just the first start in the morning seems to require a particular approach for each bike. Like I said above, mine requires 6 cycles of the EFI without hitting the start button and then on the sixth as soon as the cycling is done I press the magic red button and it starts within a second or 2. Took me a while to figure it out. I also tried cracking the the throttle a little and also turning it wide open but doing that would sometimes cause it to kick back. And, I just figured, that can't be good for the starter. A lot of Aprilia new SM owners lost their starters within a week if they cracked the throttle and allowed the bike to kick back when they were starting it. So I can see why the Owners Manual says don't mess with the throttle when trying to start it.

Tony
Old 12-10-2008, 05:55 AM

Could be your temp sensor is not working correctly - I don't know what the specs are but measuring the resistance or voltave should be able to tell you - measure it cold and fully warm, if you need to remove the sensor dip it in boiling water to test the hot condition. I think what you may be doing by priming the system so many times is putting extra fuel into the system which the ECU will do correctly if the temperature sensor tells it it's cold!
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 12-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

readouts from my engine temp sensor:

Deg Centigrade, kOhms
10, 6.1
30, 2.7
45, 1.7
65, 0.85
80, 0.44
87, 0.35
Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Banned

To thick a engine oil like a 20-50 will cause cold starting problems when the temp drops in colder climates
Old 12-10-2008, 10:01 AM

Tony - should be an easy job to compare to BergHag's resistances looks like you can do it on the bike just do cold and fully warm.
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 AM

Thank you so very much.
I will do the measurements.

Tony