Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > United Kingdom

Old 03-25-2012, 05:35 PM

Default 300 or 200 question , now probably selling my 300

My son races a 2006 200 (mint bike with low miles), I have a 2011 300 (had a berg 390). Had my 300 for 3 months.

I only race, no green laning and not normally hare and hounds, I tend to do classic time cards in the south east so tight wooded stuff.. Clubman A rider late 30's and like to be on top of a bike when racing not running scared!!! (raced a husky wr144 for 3 years and loved the speed it changed direction)

Now is weekend I had the chance to ride both my sons and my bike back to back in a local hare and hound event that I was marshaling and helping out at. This has caused me a big issue. I was significantly quicker on the 200, so much more in control and not getting tired. So as I am writing this I am thinking 2 things..
1) can I change bits on my 300 to get it to a 200, I don't think so as different stroke but I am putting it out there
2) never ridden a 250, which I know I can change my 300 into, questions is will I be wasting my time with a 250, should I just go out and buy a 200 after selling my 300????

What's difficult is that my 300 is a lovely bike, with very low hours and all the gubbins you could want, I really don't want to sell BUT the smaller cc just works for me.

Answers on a postcard please?

Old 03-31-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
My son races a 2006 200 (mint bike with low miles), I have a 2011 300 (had a berg 390). Had my 300 for 3 months.

I only race, no green laning and not normally hare and hounds, I tend to do classic time cards in the south east so tight wooded stuff.. Clubman A rider late 30's and like to be on top of a bike when racing not running scared!!! (raced a husky wr144 for 3 years and loved the speed it changed direction)

Now is weekend I had the chance to ride both my sons and my bike back to back in a local hare and hound event that I was marshaling and helping out at. This has caused me a big issue. I was significantly quicker on the 200, so much more in control and not getting tired. So as I am writing this I am thinking 2 things..
1) can I change bits on my 300 to get it to a 200, I don't think so as different stroke but I am putting it out there
2) never ridden a 250, which I know I can change my 300 into, questions is will I be wasting my time with a 250, should I just go out and buy a 200 after selling my 300????

What's difficult is that my 300 is a lovely bike, with very low hours and all the gubbins you could want, I really don't want to sell BUT the smaller cc just works for me.

Answers on a postcard please?

Why not try a 250 ?? that way you have tried the entire range,from what I can gather the 200 is light and handles well but probably lacks a bit of midrange punch,the 300 seems to have loads of bottom end/midrange which seems to make it a bit of a handful in the tight twisty stuff.

I'm only going on what's posted on this site by other members posts!!

It seems that you prefer the 200's agility but possibly hanker after a bit more midrange.

Seen as you have a 300 already you have nothing to lose by swapping to a 250 cylinder... and will probably be cheaper and less hassle of trading it in.

If you decide that the 250 isn't for you then I'm pretty certain you'll sell the top end to a member on this site.

From other members posts it seems the 250 has more mid/top end than the low/mid of the 300.

Its your call what ever you feel happiest on
Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 PM

Turn it into a 250 and tune it to run how you want it to.
You can sell the 300 cylinder and get most of your money back too.
Run the ignition in the rain mode and jet it a touch rich with a straight tapered needle (ddk) and it will be non tiring, smooth and easy to ride.
I have my 03 250 setup similar it has a very mild iginition stock ( they were only like that in 03 ) and I run a JD red needle, its very smooth and easy to ride in nasty conditions, it doesnt make alot of power off the bottom or have much hit making it very easy to control.