Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 03-19-2008, 02:38 PM

Some say the EE soft is too soft. Personally, I love it, but I'm 52 years old and I am not standing all day to ride. I think the narrow width is the biggest problem with the GG seats. If you could take a tall soft seat and cut it down about 1/2 to 3/4" and make it wider like an old XR seat, you'd probably have it.

Unfortunately, I have ruined a few seat foams trying to do that and I obviously don't know how to do it. I've read articles and followed their instructions, but it did not react the same (such as using sand paper to featheredge where the uncut and cut areas meet....good idea on wood, but not on soft foam that rips away in small chunks). The function is always fine, but when you put the seat cover on it looks bad.

As far as wearing out, I've never had a problem with any of my EE soft seats losing their original feel. It's a great product.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:09 PM

Is the EE seat similar to the XR seats? If so, I'll pass. I want a fairly firm seat, just taller and a better shape (more rounded than the 07 butt chaffer). The seat on my 01 EC200 is great.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:38 PM

You can get different height and firmness options with EE, but the reason most people choose their seat is the wide and soft seat option. Unfortunately, I think they only make seats for KTM.

The Guts Racing option might be a good "in between" option to meet your preferences on a GG, because their seats are not real soft or real wide. I have one on a YZ and it is much better than the stock 2x4.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:48 PM

I have access to all the liquid nitrogen I need to freeze a seat foam solid. Then it can be worked like wood with a sander, no ripping. I did this to a Cannondale seat, froze it and drilled a lot of holes to soften it slightly.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:36 PM

i would be interested in picking up an ee if they would make it, i agree 07=butt chafer, ive thrown a leg over a ktm with one, it was a short ride, but 10x better than my stock foam
only 199 more to go

FOR THE SECOND TIME 07 EC300 polisport headlight, acerbis taillight ltr pv cover and case saver,trailtech endurance,120z fww, g2 throttle,xr chain puck:
Old 03-21-2008, 08:42 PM

Glenn, that's a great idea on working the seat foam. I have never heard of it before. Regarding drilling holes to soften a seat, I have not had very much luck with it either.

I am ready to try the Guts soft foam in the morning. I have it on a YZ and I have it on another KTM. If it will be as soft as those are, I can live with it. I'm concerned that there is not enough room for foam on the standard height option I bought to fit the GasGas seat base. I'll know tomorrow.

Happy Easter everyone (and welcome to spring)!

John
Old 03-22-2008, 06:39 AM

Reading through these posts, I really believe that you will love the 08 oem seat. I have borrowed both XR400 and XR600 from friends in the past, plus I owned a KLX450R for almost 2 months (which has a great seat). The oem 08 gg seat is close to the KLX's seat but racier. Also, I think it improved the overall placement of my body for the turns compared to the narrow and hard 07 seat.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 AM

I have my name on the list. The problem is that everyone wants one and not everyone will get one. If I am unlucky I need an alternative.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:36 PM

I took my GG out this weekend with the KTM and tried the new Guts Racing regular height soft seat foam. It is a huge improvement over the stock foam. It did not feel as narrow either, although it looks the same. I guess it's soft enough that you actually sink in about an inch and get to the wider part of the foam. Glenn, I think you will be pleased if you need to go with the Guts tall and cut it down.

I was very pleased ordering from GoFasters. As Arnold says....I'll be back!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
If you could take a tall soft seat and cut it down about 1/2 to 3/4" and make it wider like an old XR seat, you'd probably have it.
I think these seats I have on my GG "triad" are Guts tall foam and that's exactly what I was thinking. I've never had any trouble cutting foam but if you don't use the right tools some crazy stuff happens fast...

Have you tried using an electric knife? That slicing action works well for removing large chunks in my experience .

For smoothing I use a carbide "burr" used for shaping wood in my little 2" air grinder. They make a similar "blade" for 4" angle grinders. Kinda "prickly" looking units. I imagine that a very coarse sanding disc on an angle grinder would work well too. Go to finer grits to control stock removal as you approach final shape. If you goof it up or if you want a different density in the top part of the seat you can easily just glue a chunk back on and reshape. Upholstery supply houses have large chunks of foam in whatever density you'd like.

I use these tools often for work and have a developed "eye" for shaping contours so I may have a skewed perspective, but I really don't think it's too tough if you go at it mindfully.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website