Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:13 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Do I need a fan?

2nd post of the day…

Twice I?ve researched ?how hot is too hot for the water temperature of a two stroke dirt bike?. And while there are lots of people asking the question, I can?t find a definitive answer.

Today on the tight single track I was running 200 to 231F. Is that too hot? I?m using engine ice, and didn?t lose any fluid. But I wonder if I need a fan?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:53 AM

This is probably not the response you are looking for, but if the riding you are doing causes the bike to boil over with a 1.8 bar cap, you need a fan.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:04 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

that sounds about normal. the older bikes had a 1.4 Bar cap which would boil water at about 230F . The older configuration did have the radiators more exposed to air flow than the 18s though. 1.8 bar would boil water at 242F (engine ice and other coolants boil at a higher temp)

I would say get a fan if you ride terrain that results in bike boiling. the engine temp spikes considerably when it starts to boil, so if you boil once on your regular terain then fit a fan
Old 08-02-2023, 05:10 PM

Default Fan

Yes, get a fan. I have had one on my 2011 EC 300 since 2012 and I just put a fan on my Ranger 300. I set the thermostat for 205F to 210F and it works well. The tighter the terrain in muggy humid weather the more you need to have a fan option. I live about 90 miles from Sequatchie TN and they are having the Tennessee Knockout on August 18-20. I can guarantee that all the pros and amateurs are using a fan.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 08-02-2023, 08:08 PM

I never have felt the need for one even when riding hike-a-bike terrain as my Gasser has never boiled over and I even have a Rekluse. If you have issues with boil over then I would say, yes, get one. Otherwise your just wasting money, time, and could potentially drain the battery to where the e-start won't work.

Just this man's opinion!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 08-02-2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
I never have felt the need for one even when riding hike-a-bike terrain as my Gasser has never boiled over and I even have a Rekluse. If you have issues with boil over then I would say, yes, get one. Otherwise your just wasting money, time, and could potentially drain the battery to where the e-start won't work.

Just this man's opinion!
I agree it depends on how and where you ride. I ride really tight woods with very sudden elevation changes at a relative slow speeds and it is super humid. I have a temp warning light on my voyager pro and when I come into a tight,steep uphill climb with swichbacks, I will flip on my manual fan switch on the bars to get ahead of the curve.

From seeing your videos in Arizona with the pace and terrain and the lack of humidity, I can see why you would never need one.Btw, I really like your videos,thx for posting.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 08-02-2023, 11:13 PM

Great ? good info. - for me the bottom line is probably ?better safe than sorry?.

But this leads me to another question. I am not currently having a problem with boil over, and with engine ice the temperature could conceivably go up quite high. I thought the problem with high temperatures was seizing?at what point does that become an issue?
Old 08-02-2023, 11:14 PM

?and why does my punctuation turn into question marks???!
Old 08-03-2023, 12:33 AM

Default Heat Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
Great ? good info. - for me the bottom line is probably ?better safe than sorry?.

But this leads me to another question. I am not currently having a problem with boil over, and with engine ice the temperature could conceivably go up quite high. I thought the problem with high temperatures was seizing?at what point does that become an issue?
I think engine ice and a high radiator cap rating could raise the boil over point higher. I rode with ktm people using engine ice and no fan and they had boil overs at 255-260 but I don't know if that is typical. I don't know at what point image damage would occur, so I will let else chime in on that. For me, I would like to keep my bike at 235 or so max.

I had a buddy with a Beta 430, he didn't have a fan but he had an overflow bottle. His bike would get hot and we would take a break and we could hear the coolant being sucked into the rad as it cooled.(and on that Beta the gasoline in the fuel tank would boil, no kidding until everything cooled down).And he never had an engine problem,go figure

―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 08-03-2023, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto7man View Post
From seeing your videos in Arizona with the pace and terrain and the lack of humidity, I can see why you would never need one.Btw, I really like your videos,thx for posting.
Thanks!

Yeah, we normally keep a decent pace unless riding the super technical stuff and we only do that in the winter (45-70F) here as the heat will kill ya. It is kind of funny when I hear my buddies' KTM's fans all running (some with Engine Ice) when we take a short break yet my KDX or Gasser are fine without and running standard 50/50 coolant!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220