Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:18 AM

Smile Got my '07 250

Picked it up yesterday at Marshall's in Ballston Spa, NY. Dan's a great guy to deal with. We uncrated and assembled the bike in his shop. Surprise, surprise, its actually a DE250 (EC swingarm graphics) with light 2K-2 ignition, minimal harness, and no lights. Light connectors and a toggle switch are already wired in, ready for mounting in the headlight shell. VIN is conforming, but I don't have the MSO yet to see if and where "Off Road Only" is printed.

Very nice bike. I have a lot of setup work ahead before it hits its first rock. You don't take a new unprotected bike out here even for a test ride. Spring rates seem perfect, and it seems plush around the neighborhood, especially for a new bike. Nice bars, grips, longer shifter. Revs very fast, seems like they might have lightened the balancer weight. Should be perfect with a FWW. Shifts smooth and has NO clutch drag, nice. Seat is like a rubber covered railroad tie, as hard as a Cannondale or older KTM. Very flat, seems like you can slide up right to the bars.

More info as I set it up.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:14 AM

Congrats Glenn! If all goes well I should be buying a new one myself in November.

Keep us updated.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=GMP;5509] You don't take a new unprotected bike out here even for a test ride. QUOTE]

What you have in mind? Being a recent convert to the dark side, i am finding getting decent protection not easy. New pipe and sump guards are on my current shopping list for my 300.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:06 AM

I have a Hyde skid plate/pipe guard combo, rad guards/braces, and heavy tubes for starters. Just limited time this week to work on it. You can find anything you need.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Glenn,

I'm glad to see the new bike arrived! Sounds like you got the DE250 that you desired. If I remember correctly, you were planning to strip the bike down to DE-trim if it came as a true EC.

It's also good to hear the VIN is correct for U.S. folks. Since many states are updating their DMV systems, it will be interesting to see if it is still flagged as "offroad only" when entering the VIN. A slight bit of hassle if it happens but at least in Michigan, you can still get it street registered with the right forms.

Looking forward to hearing your ride report.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Congrats Glenn.

Nice to see it came as a "DE" for you. Hopefully, they send DEs to the california magazines - I think a DE would do better than an EC for the california guys. (more open and fast terrain).

jeff
Old 04-26-2007, 04:56 PM

Under "vehicle type" on the MSO it says off road motorcycle according to the distributor.

Apparently they don't say "off road only" like they used to on some MSO's. I'm curious about that because I want a new EC300 but I need plates for where I ride.

Let us know.

--Bill.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I have a Hyde skid plate/pipe guard combo, rad guards/braces, and heavy tubes for starters. Just limited time this week to work on it. You can find anything you need.

Them Hyde combos are just flat ugly. Riding buddy has one on his 300EXC and it looks like its been cut from a plastic bottle
Old 04-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

On my 07 250 I used a moose skid plate, E line pipe guard, motion pro rim locks front and back and moose heavy duty tubes. I had shifting problems with Golden Spectro gear oil so after research I tried 5w40 shell rotella. Now shifting is perfect. I had some hardware that came loose- kick starter which looks like allen head but is not and rear brake at frame which is a allen head. Also a ltr jetting kit but had to go up on needle clip 2nd from top. Now it rips. I did get a front flat after 2nd ride at speed so thats why the tubes and rim locks were changed. I took special care in break in procedure as I think this is very important. Also got a rear stand that fits into axle as the side stand is not very trustworthy while working on bike. I had to grind down the spindle that fits into axle. The stand came with 3 spindles but all were to fat. I put a piece of stick on thick felt like stuff where the side stand gets close to swingarm in the up position as it was causing some cosmetic damage. This bike is a blast to ride and has given this old man a smile and thrill.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:17 AM

The VIN is definetly good, I used an online decoding tool and it came back valid. Thats great about the MSO. When it comes I'll give it a try at NJ DMV. Nothing to loose, I've been kicked out before. Worst case I can register out of state, I checked.

300s may be smoother off the bottom with the 2K-3, but the DE250 with the 14 oz is very nice and fine for me in 90% of conditions. I also have a 2K-3. What I will do is add another connector set and reroute slightly so a stator swap is a 10 min job if I want the larger flywheel, like in a hell mud ride. Its also nice not having to strip off all the unneccessary wiring, as this requires a lot of rewiring.

The Hyde combo is not as ugly as a new $300 squashed pipe! I've wrecked every alloy skidplate I've had at one point, and a few CF pipe guards. Although I love the looks of the new GG, I couldn't care less about form over function. I like the Hyde concept and think it will work well. From a design stanpoint there is a clear advantage to this system as far as low/frontal pipe impacts are concerned, the kind that push your pipe back against the frame and kink the header. CF guards do nothing for this. Its very strong and light. The plastic seems like that used in a Glock automatic if you've ever handled/shot one.

Started tearing it down last night. One thing I'm not impressed with is the new radiators. They have more but smaller core sections. Seem thinner/weaker than the previous parts, which were fine IMO. Probably done for cost/weight savings. Definately needs as much protection as you can get on there. I'm going to go with Flatlands/GP braces and probably some added material for rigidity.