GasGas Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   GasGas Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-2019, 06:19 AM
GG221 GG221 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 80
Default 2018 starter - oem vs replacement

With the original starter on my 2018 XC I did all of the updates and had the starter working flawlessly. In gear, hot or cold, started every time right away. Well I broke that starter and had to order a new one. It took a while to get here because it was back ordered from the factory. With this new starter I cannot start my bike cold under any circumstance even in neutral. When the bike is warm I can only restart in neutral, but if I wait even a minute to restart, it will not restart. If I am in gear and kill the bike and try to restart instantly with the clutch pulled in, it will not start. Also the starter doesn?t look identical to the oem starter. It is shiny all around whereas the oem starter was not shiny on the ends. Also the housing did not have the lines that are supposed to line up on the starter. Also when this starter arrived it was not spinning the proper direction so I had to rotate it. I?m wondering if I didn?t get some after martlet starter instead of the real thing. Has anybody else experienced this with a new starter?


Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 10-07-2019, 06:45 AM
Gasser Nate's Avatar
Gasser Nate Gasser Nate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 378
Default

I would be sending it back. Especially if it rotated in the wrong direction. But check your bendix and reduction gear bearings for smooth movement. What broke on the original starter motor?
__________________
Back on a gassy! 2018 EC300! 🤘
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-2019, 07:04 AM
GG221 GG221 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
I would be sending it back. Especially if it rotated in the wrong direction. But check your bendix and reduction gear bearings for smooth movement. What broke on the original starter motor?
Everything is moving smoothly. The other starter it was just that terminal that connects to the electrical lead snapped off.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:26 AM
Pygmygod Pygmygod is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Victoria - AUS
Posts: 79
Default

If the terminal snapped off, could a little tack weld fix it back up?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-02-2019, 03:16 AM
Wuzofoz Wuzofoz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 39
Default

To my knowledge the KTM starter bolts straight on and rotates the opposite direction
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2020, 06:56 AM
pigpen966 pigpen966 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 179
Default

Has anybody confirmed that the KTM starter actually fits? I am in Costa Rica and the KTM starter motors are obtainable here. Thanks
__________________
Dick Carnes
"If ya run, you'll only die tired"
2018 GP 300
2013 XC 300
2006 DE 300
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-19-2020, 07:25 PM
JoseGas25's Avatar
JoseGas25 JoseGas25 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Spain
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen966 View Post
Has anybody confirmed that the KTM starter actually fits? I am in Costa Rica and the KTM starter motors are obtainable here. Thanks
Hello, my name is Jose and I'm from Spain. This is my first message. I own a Gas Gas 300 Enduro GP
About the KTM starter motor... Yes it fits, from 2008 to 2016 (I think) the problem is that it turns in the opposite direction so you have to change the position of the external cylinder to change the spinning direction. Maybe you have visited 2y4t forum, we also speak about this.
There is a problem, the ktm motor is designed to spin in one sense, so when you change it.. it warms more than normal so it wil brake soon. Yesterday I bought the original motor, 130 euros.
Have you got spare parts in your country? Here is Spain we have some problems...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-2020, 05:43 AM
hannesd hannesd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: belgium,europe
Posts: 542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseGas25 View Post
Hello, my name is Jose and I'm from Spain. This is my first message. I own a Gas Gas 300 Enduro GP
About the KTM starter motor... Yes it fits, from 2008 to 2016 (I think) the problem is that it turns in the opposite direction so you have to change the position of the external cylinder to change the spinning direction. Maybe you have visited 2y4t forum, we also speak about this.
There is a problem, the ktm motor is designed to spin in one sense, so when you change it.. it warms more than normal so it wil brake soon. Yesterday I bought the original motor, 130 euros.
Have you got spare parts in your country? Here is Spain we have some problems...
problems in Spain, at the source of Gasgas motorcycles?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-20-2020, 10:58 AM
JoseGas25's Avatar
JoseGas25 JoseGas25 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Spain
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannesd View Post
problems in Spain, at the source of Gasgas motorcycles?
Yes. I dont know if you know but KTM has a JOIN VENTURE with Gas Gas and now Rieju bought the enduro bike, the EC model.
https://www.motorbikemag.es/rieju-enduro-gasgas-2020/
I dont know how is the situation there but here in Spain there are problems to find some original spare parts. Anyway it is coming back to normal, step by step.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-20-2020, 12:04 PM
hannesd hannesd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: belgium,europe
Posts: 542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseGas25 View Post
Yes. I dont know if you know but KTM has a JOIN VENTURE with Gas Gas and now Rieju bought the enduro bike, the EC model.
https://www.motorbikemag.es/rieju-enduro-gasgas-2020/
I dont know how is the situation there but here in Spain there are problems to find some original spare parts. Anyway it is coming back to normal, step by step.
i know of the current situation, still ,you would think dealers still have some parts in stock? apparently not
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EC 300 2018 starter problem eralha Enduro Electrical & Wiring 70 Yesterday 04:14 AM
EC 300 2018 Starter motor eralha Enduro Engine - 2 stroke 6 08-06-2019 05:06 AM
Wet mod for 2018 starter GG221 Enduro Engine - 2 stroke 13 07-17-2019 01:13 AM
Eectric starter 2018?s.. GasgasGP Enduro Electrical & Wiring 86 11-21-2018 10:03 PM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - GasGasRider.org