Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:05 PM

I'll bet a nickel its the reeds.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Here's another question that may end up being blindingly obvious- I have a Boyesen block in there, so only Boyesen reeds will fit, correct? I'll try the local Yamaha shop and Tasky's today, see if they have anything in stock. Really don't want to have to order right now. If anyone has an extra set of reeds I'll take them off your hands.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:35 AM

Yes you will need Boysen pedals to fit a Boysen block. My Vforce were the same as a cr250, not sure about the Boysen though.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 AM

As an update- Boyesen Reeds are for a 1996 YZ250. PSR-21 (current PN) or PRO-21 (previous PN). That is for the Pro Series Reed (PSR). Otherwise it's RL-91 for the 2002 EC300.

For fun (after ordering new reeds), I did a little test. The joke is that I am extremely frugal (read: cheap), but I like to think that I am creative and want to solve issues without spending lots of money. Okay, I'm cheap. Anyway, a friend jokingly suggested that I wrap a rubber band around the reeds to get them to close. We had a good chuckle, then on my ride home yesterday i thought about it a bit. Here's what I came up with-

First picture is reeds as delivered. Note the gap. Second and third pic are with the rubber band under the tail piece of the top reed, thereby preloading the reed into position. I'll give it a test this afternoon. I'm not expecting this to permanently cure my problem, but it will help remove one variable.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM

How did that work out for you?
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djroggen View Post
How did that work out for you?
It proved the reeds were the least of my concerns. I bought new reeds and there was no change from my cobbled together "test" modification, or even prior to the repair. The new reeds seem to work as well as the old warped set. But the rubber band shim certainly did help to preload and seal the reeds, no question. The gap was gone, and the bike ran all day without any change in performance (read: it ran poorly all day).

The bike has been rebuilt from the tires up (including every bearing and seal in the engine), cylinder plated to match a new piston, and I just haven't made the time to ride and test-n-tune. New piston, rings, reeds, exhaust o-rings, and other errata do wonders for these things.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
It proved the reeds were the least of my concerns. I bought new reeds and there was no change from my cobbled together "test" modification, or even prior to the repair. The new reeds seem to work as well as the old warped set. But the rubber band shim certainly did help to preload and seal the reeds, no question. The gap was gone, and the bike ran all day without any change in performance (read: it ran poorly all day).

The bike has been rebuilt from the tires up (including every bearing and seal in the engine), cylinder plated to match a new piston, and I just haven't made the time to ride and test-n-tune. New piston, rings, reeds, exhaust o-rings, and other errata do wonders for these things.
Check your silencer. IT may be all clogged up with spooge. My '01 was really lazy until I repacked the silencer and I reset the float level. Not sure which fixed it, but it sure woke it up. Just a thought
Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Check your silencer. IT may be all clogged up with spooge. My '01 was really lazy until I repacked the silencer and I reset the float level. Not sure which fixed it, but it sure woke it up. Just a thought
First thing I did, before any ride, was repack the silencer. The bike was running poorly from the beginning, so I went through everything that I could before I started tuning it for me. Now I just need to make time to give it some miles and see how it's doing. I love the way that it handles, now I just need to get it running well enough to enjoy it. Soon, I keep promising myself.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry I'd fallen off this thread.

IMO the key to jetting these bikes is all in the needle. A rich pilot will burble just off idle and a lean will give poor response. A rich main will burble up at WOT and a lean will fall a bit flat. The needle is the key. It covered almost the entire rev range and has the most variables. It also overlaps both previous mentioned circuits.

I think the older bikes prefer to run a bit richer than the new. I would definately suggest spending some coins. Get an NEDJ and a N3EJ, both should be happy with around a 42 pilot. NExx 172/175 main, N3xx 178/180. Start with the clip in the middle. If you experience more burbling at 1/4 throttle than you are happy with lift the clip 1 pos and try again. Shouldn't cost much more than $30 in parts.

You could probably borrow a N3EJ/N3EW off a mate if you know anyone with a YZ250
Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Sorry I'd fallen off this thread.

IMO the key to jetting these bikes is all in the needle. A rich pilot will burble just off idle and a lean will give poor response. A rich main will burble up at WOT and a lean will fall a bit flat. The needle is the key. It covered almost the entire rev range and has the most variables. It also overlaps both previous mentioned circuits.

I think the older bikes prefer to run a bit richer than the new. I would definately suggest spending some coins. Get an NEDJ and a N3EJ, both should be happy with around a 42 pilot. NExx 172/175 main, N3xx 178/180. Start with the clip in the middle. If you experience more burbling at 1/4 throttle than you are happy with lift the clip 1 pos and try again. Shouldn't cost much more than $30 in parts.

You could probably borrow a N3EJ/N3EW off a mate if you know anyone with a YZ250
I have a stack of Yamaha and Suzuki needles and a fist full of jets standing by for my first run at the trails. The needles have been on my bench for about 6 weeks now, but my schedule has not let me test anything yet. Your posts in particular, Jakobi, have helped me set my performance goals. I have a nice little spreadsheet which provides the habits of the NXXX needles. Changing jets on the trail sucks, but needles are easy. I hope to find a simple solution with jets and tune with needles. With my current selection it shouldn't be too hard.

I'll get there, I promise!