Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:53 PM

There are two springs in the bendix unit. The delicate flyweight spring and the compression spring that retracts the bendix. Both are inside the sheet metal cover. The bendix is always "normally retracted" and cams out under rotation. The flyweight spring controls the speed of the initial movement.

The bendix is always in the "up" position, with the pinion gear totally away from the ring gear. The gears only mesh during estarting, so remove yours if the ring gear is turning the bendix. All the extra rotation will wear out the shaft hole in the cover.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Ok thanks , I'll post a picture of it shortly
Old 01-07-2015, 06:05 PM

Here is the only pcture I have of the bendix unit.

Note that there is a sheet metal cover above the heavy washer that goes inside a second sheet metal cover. The main return spring is under these covers. It holds the bendix in the "closed" (or "up positon" as it would sit when on the bike). The photo shows the bendix upside down. My comments are all based on the bendix sitting in it's normal orientation.

Your picture #3 is missing that bottom cover AND the spring that goes under it. The second cover is there, but down at the end of the shaft. The spring always holds it up against the gear. Not much wonder you have bendix issues.

Last edited by Neil E.; 01-07-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:23 PM

I watched the dealer fitting the bendix & fly wheel gear , is it possible he kept the genuine part the importer sent & swapped it for a aftermarket bendix ?

Surely bits can't just disappear unless they have got crushed & ended up in beside the magneto ?

I presume if the starter worked for a few months the spring must of been on the bendix when it was fitted ?
Old 01-07-2015, 07:12 PM

It would make sense that the parts were correct when installed. I doubt he swapped anything since there is no direct interchange with any other bike. Honda scooter parts can be cannibalized to make a better unit.

You should have found bits of metal stuck to the flywheel if the sheet metal cover and spring came off. There would be some telltale scratches and chewed pieces unless you've run it long enough to chop everything into a powder. That mess would still coat the engine cases and ignition cover.

It's a mystery. Good thing GG doesn't build airplanes.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:26 AM

All I found was the 3 teeth , maybe everything else has turned to powder
Old 01-09-2015, 11:29 AM

thats my bike going to the dealers tomorrow to get pictures done for the warranty and next week getting fitted with the new starter set up that came out in November .
Old 02-05-2015, 01:51 AM

thats my starter fixed again .

after 3 weeks of hearing nothing i phoned clements moto the importer to see why the parts were taking so long to get told the dealer hadn't put a warranty claim in for the parts !

after loads of phone calls kicking up fk on the phone last thursday the parts were sent to the dealer on monday & i picked up my bike yesterday with i'm sure half a tank of fuel missing .

the dealer said the flywheel gear is made of a more hardened steel although i think he was talking bull as usual !

i predict the starter will be fkd in another 3 months